Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
kyle010723

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013: T-minus one week... and counting!

Postby kyle010723 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:03 pm

314159265358979 wrote:Quick story:

When the plane landed in Chicago, I was pretty excited. I knew that they next few days would basically determine the next few years of my life. I had prepared meticulously-printing out copies of my resume and writing sample for each interview I had. I even ordered official transcripts from my undergrad and law schools just to make them look that much better (FYI, they were free at the time-don't go spending $100 on something like this). However, after I finished about 1 slice of my freshly ordered Giordano's pizza, I realized I didn't have any extra copies of my resume for hospitality suites. This was at about 11:30 at night. In a hurried panic, I ran down to the Doubletree's business center. I was greeted at the door by a number of other straggling PLIPers. We nearly fought to the death over who could use the printer, our anger only redirected once we learned that there was no paper. I begged the front desk to hand me just a few sheets of paper out of their printer, but to no avail. Only an hour later around 12:30 did a confused young man walk through the door with the best looking paper ream I've seen in my life.

A few typos, spelling errors, and $30 later, I was home free with 5 fresh copies of my resume. If only it were so simple. On my way out, a rather pretentious student stopped me, looking at my prized possession. "You're not actually going to pass THOSE out are you?" He then opened his portfolio to show me a group of horribly printed, poorly written resumes with size 70 font YALE UNIVERSITY at the top. "You see, manilla paper is all the rage today; you certainly won't get hired with that plain white stuff." I knew he was wrong. I knew it didn't matter. Yet the words could not be unspoken, and the idea had been planted. I reluctantly set an alarm for 5:30 AM. The next morning, I put on my best suit, grabbed my portfolio, and set a course for Staples. It's only 10 blocks, I thought. It can't be THAT far.

At 6:20, I was comfortable. At 6:23, I was hot. At 6:26, I was sweating. And at 6:40, I arrived at Staples, sweating profusely. Of course, they were reluctant to let me in when they opened at 7, since I looked like I had just robbed a diner with Samuel L. Jackson. Another $50 and 15 minutes later, I took a cab to the Embassy Suites just in time for the annual Calling of the Alternates. By the time the hospitality suites opened at 9 I had dried off, and at least I had that manilla resume paper. The look of dejection on the person's face who handed his over just after me was worth the price of admission.

10/10, would forget extra resumes again.

You mean putting 70pt font YALE is not going to get me a job?!? Darn... good thing I don't go to Yale...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:10 pm

kyle010723 wrote:
314159265358979 wrote:Quick story:

When the plane landed in Chicago, I was pretty excited. I knew that they next few days would basically determine the next few years of my life. I had prepared meticulously-printing out copies of my resume and writing sample for each interview I had. I even ordered official transcripts from my undergrad and law schools just to make them look that much better (FYI, they were free at the time-don't go spending $100 on something like this). However, after I finished about 1 slice of my freshly ordered Giordano's pizza, I realized I didn't have any extra copies of my resume for hospitality suites. This was at about 11:30 at night. In a hurried panic, I ran down to the Doubletree's business center. I was greeted at the door by a number of other straggling PLIPers. We nearly fought to the death over who could use the printer, our anger only redirected once we learned that there was no paper. I begged the front desk to hand me just a few sheets of paper out of their printer, but to no avail. Only an hour later around 12:30 did a confused young man walk through the door with the best looking paper ream I've seen in my life.

A few typos, spelling errors, and $30 later, I was home free with 5 fresh copies of my resume. If only it were so simple. On my way out, a rather pretentious student stopped me, looking at my prized possession. "You're not actually going to pass THOSE out are you?" He then opened his portfolio to show me a group of horribly printed, poorly written resumes with size 70 font YALE UNIVERSITY at the top. "You see, manilla paper is all the rage today; you certainly won't get hired with that plain white stuff." I knew he was wrong. I knew it didn't matter. Yet the words could not be unspoken, and the idea had been planted. I reluctantly set an alarm for 5:30 AM. The next morning, I put on my best suit, grabbed my portfolio, and set a course for Staples. It's only 10 blocks, I thought. It can't be THAT far.

At 6:20, I was comfortable. At 6:23, I was hot. At 6:26, I was sweating. And at 6:40, I arrived at Staples, sweating profusely. Of course, they were reluctant to let me in when they opened at 7, since I looked like I had just robbed a diner with Samuel L. Jackson. Another $50 and 15 minutes later, I took a cab to the Embassy Suites just in time for the annual Calling of the Alternates. By the time the hospitality suites opened at 9 I had dried off, and at least I had that manilla resume paper. The look of dejection on the person's face who handed his over just after me was worth the price of admission.

10/10, would forget extra resumes again.

You mean putting 70pt font YALE is not going to get me a job?!? Darn... good thing I don't go to Yale...

Uh, construction paper is now all the rage. Mine's on purple. With pink hearts in the corner.

Seriously though, is a bright-white that's heavier than normal photocopier paper not acceptable?

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:11 pm

I just made a website with my resume and printed my name and my url on my eggshell business cards :wink:

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Uh, construction paper is now all the rage. Mine's on purple. With pink hearts in the corner.

Seriously though, is a bright-white that's heavier than normal photocopier paper not acceptable?

Remember to scent your paper... I hear peach scented paper will guarantee a callback and a rose scented will guarantee an offer on the spot.

I think 25-35lb paper that's white or off-white will be ok. Just don't use those cheap paper in your friendly neighborhood law-school library.

laxbrah420 wrote:I just made a website with my resume and printed my name and my url on my eggshell business cards :wink:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:08 pm

Are cover letters expected even if the firm doesn't specify to bring anything to the interview? Or should we pretty much just stick with exactly what they request?

Nammertat

Postby Nammertat » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are cover letters expected even if the firm doesn't specify to bring anything to the interview? Or should we pretty much just stick with exactly what they request?

Our CDO said this morning that they are not required, but it may be worthwhile to bring for your top 5 choices.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are cover letters expected even if the firm doesn't specify to bring anything to the interview? Or should we pretty much just stick with exactly what they request?

Don't bring CLs.

IME, I rarely even hand out the resumes because at all of the scheduled interviews they already have a copy they marked up, and in the random meetings, they give me a card and ask me to email it to them after taking my card.

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:06 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:What's a hospitality suite? You just go into rooms of firm that didn't pick you and drink their soft drinks?

still wondering.
also, do yall take notes during 'views?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:17 pm

So my UG is known for being horrendous when it comes to GPA inflation. i.e., whereas at other schools average gpa may be a 3.3, my UG was a 2.8. How do I explain this to an employer without sounding like I am making an excuse for relatively low GPA.

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:17 pm

That's called deflation

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:22 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nammertat

Postby Nammertat » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:34 pm

Jsa725 wrote:
laxbrah420 wrote:
laxbrah420 wrote:What's a hospitality suite? You just go into rooms of firm that didn't pick you and drink their soft drinks?

still wondering.

I do not take notes.

Hospitlity Suites: place to meet firm recruiters and associates. They don't shell out cash to have a HS b/c they want to, they do it to meet other interested, and often qualified, candidates since they are limited to a small number of interview spots.

Ex: I didn't get interview w/ a firm but I have been in contact w/ the legal recruiter and she wants to meet me at the HS... As for the others, I am going to chill out, network and see what happens. Being chill and sociable is key.

Also, food and swag :D

You've got me onboard! :D

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:47 pm

sorry to shift the focus a little bit here, but does anyone know when we should hear back from SFIPLA screeners? From the look of last year's thread, people heard from many firms by Thursday, if not earlier.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:48 pm

Jsa725 wrote: swag swagswag

...what kind of swag?...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:sorry to shift the focus a little bit here, but does anyone know when we should hear back from SFIPLA screeners? From the look of last year's thread, people heard from many firms by Thursday, if not earlier.

I got a call today for one. Others said they're going to wait till after PLIP.

Nammertat

Postby Nammertat » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Jsa725 wrote: swag swagswag

...what kind of swag?...

Quality use of Anon :D

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:57 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:59 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:57 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:

still wondering.

No, take your notes immediately after the interview so you can remember what you talked about though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:29 pm

Does every firm expect a writing sample? Many don't even mention anything to bring to the interview.

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:36 pm

I printed one for each interview just in case. But it's heavy carrying them around...

MrProhibition

Postby MrProhibition » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:38 am

Who are people making their cover letters out to for Loyola? And what are people toting all their papers around in? Messenger bags? Backpacks?

MarcZero

Postby MarcZero » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:33 am

MrProhibition wrote:Who are people making their cover letters out to for Loyola? And what are people toting all their papers around in? Messenger bags? Backpacks?

I was wondering the same thing. Assuming I don't pick up any alternatives, I have at least a 3-hour wait both days and would like to get some work done on the computer as well. A) Is this advisable to do or should I be working on networking and other things instead? B) Is it unseemly or unsightly to carry around a backpack to one of these events or should we stick to briefcases or folios?

I'm also curious if people know how the plug situation will be for charging phones/laptops/etc. I can imagine a lot of PLIP'ers crowding around only a few available outlets.

Anciano

Postby Anciano » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:39 am

MarcZero wrote:B) Is it unseemly or unsightly to carry around a backpack to one of these events or should we stick to briefcases or folios?

A lot of people tend to look a bit disdainfully at people wearing backpacks with suits. I wouldn't recommend it.

faintbeam

Postby faintbeam » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:43 am

MarcZero wrote:
MrProhibition wrote:Who are people making their cover letters out to for Loyola? And what are people toting all their papers around in? Messenger bags? Backpacks?

I was wondering the same thing. Assuming I don't pick up any alternatives, I have at least a 3-hour wait both days and would like to get some work done on the computer as well. A) Is this advisable to do or should I be working on networking and other things instead? B) Is it unseemly or unsightly to carry around a backpack to one of these events or should we stick to briefcases or folios?

I'm also curious if people know how the plug situation will be for charging phones/laptops/etc. I can imagine a lot of PLIP'ers crowding around only a few available outlets.

Might not be helpful because I'm a woman, but I carried around all my packets of resumes, writing samples, transcripts, etc. in a black professional shoulder bag. I'm pretty sure I saw quite a few backpacks last year, not that I'd recommend it.

I only brought my computer for the first day, but there were not many outlets (there may have been a few at the bar). There's also not a lot of seating in the foyer on the first floor.

Return to “Legal Employment”