Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
MarcZero

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013:Past PLIPrs,what interview Qs were u asked?

Postby MarcZero » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:07 pm

Here's a question I haven't seen answered elsewhere: Do the interviewers that request transcripts want them in sealed envelopes?

I'm assuming not since they have better things to do than open up a ton of envelopes from all of the interviewers they have to talk to all day. Personally, if I include undergrad and grad transcripts I'd be handing each interviewer a pack of 5 envelopes. That doesn't seem reasonable to me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:13 pm

MarcZero wrote:Here's a question I haven't seen answered elsewhere: Do the interviewers that request transcripts want them in sealed envelopes?

I'm assuming not since they have better things to do than open up a ton of envelopes from all of the interviewers they have to talk to all day. Personally, if I include undergrad and grad transcripts I'd be handing each interviewer a pack of 5 envelopes. That doesn't seem reasonable to me.

No, many schools won't ever give "official" transcripts to a student/alum anyway (they only mail direct).

If you're faking a transcript you've got bigger problems.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:19 pm

(For SFIPLA)
Do I need to get a transcript for the three community college classes I got credit for in high school? They were all As so they didn't cause a GPA drop that would need explaining or anything. They also weren't anything required.

It was so long ago (mid-90s) that I don't have a login for the CC's website, so I have to send my request by mail, which the CC lost last time when I was having the transcript sent to LSAC, so I'm not excited about doing it again.

MarcZero

Postby MarcZero » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
MarcZero wrote:Here's a question I haven't seen answered elsewhere: Do the interviewers that request transcripts want them in sealed envelopes?

No, many schools won't ever give "official" transcripts to a student/alum anyway (they only mail direct).

If you're faking a transcript you've got bigger problems.

That's what I thought. One school gives out an official copy in an envelope with the phrase "Issued Directly to Student" all over it. Another school does send you an official copy but stamps "Official Copy Mailed to Student" over the seal of the envelope. I'm still waiting for my other 2 schools to mail the others.

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Most symplicity systems I have been in have an indicator to show "no double interviews" and thus, if you've interviewed somewhere else, you shouldn't be bidding again. If you double dip its probably a good way to get a red mark on your file for failure to follow simple directions.

That is an excellent point and I just double checked, this specific employer allows multiple interviews apparently. But thanks for bring that to my attention.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:56 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:(For SFIPLA)
Do I need to get a transcript for the three community college classes I got credit for in high school? They were all As so they didn't cause a GPA drop that would need explaining or anything. They also weren't anything required.

It was so long ago (mid-90s) that I don't have a login for the CC's website, so I have to send my request by mail, which the CC lost last time when I was having the transcript sent to LSAC, so I'm not excited about doing it again.

No, they just want your UG transcript. They aren't verifying your patent bar eligibility on the spot or anything. They will most likely look at final GPA, overall grades/courses, and verify the date and degree.

DildaMan

Postby DildaMan » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:(For SFIPLA)

No, they just want your UG transcript. They aren't verifying your patent bar eligibility on the spot or anything. They will most likely look at final GPA, overall grades/courses, and verify the date and degree.

Photocopies worked for me. As the poster above noted, its just for a GPA and course check. Most of the interviewers jumped to the summary and checked off whatever they needed the transcript for.

eschewinganonymity

Postby eschewinganonymity » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:47 pm

Can someone who has been there before or who happens to know explain what happens at the hospitality suites? Are they interested in me presenting my resume and transcript in the hopes of getting a screening interview where I wasn't already pre-selected?

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:53 pm

eschewinganonymity wrote:Can someone who has been there before or who happens to know explain what happens at the hospitality suites? Are they interested in me presenting my resume and transcript in the hopes of getting a screening interview where I wasn't already pre-selected?

If you are not pre-selected (and not alternated), I dont think you can get a screening interview at PLIP no matter what. However, the hospitality suites is more like a networking event where you name drop and perhaps get a card from them, so when you OCI and mass mail, you can say I met so and so and talked with so and so from your firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:16 pm

kyle010723 wrote:
eschewinganonymity wrote:Can someone who has been there before or who happens to know explain what happens at the hospitality suites? Are they interested in me presenting my resume and transcript in the hopes of getting a screening interview where I wasn't already pre-selected?

If you are not pre-selected (and not alternated), I dont think you can get a screening interview at PLIP no matter what. However, the hospitality suites is more like a networking event where you name drop and perhaps get a card from them, so when you OCI and mass mail, you can say I met so and so and talked with so and so from your firm.

People are interviewed over the duration of the program that meet someone during the mixers.

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:50 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:13 am

Jsa725 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
kyle010723 wrote:

People are interviewed over the duration of the program that meet someone during the mixers.

Can you explain what you meant by that?

Also, I was under the impression that people have been able to score CB's who were originally not PS'd for a firm but showed interest in the hospitality suites... Is this correct?

It means that there are more hours in the day than there are interview slots and hat if they meet someone they like, they will set something up.

Its unlikely you'd go straight to a CB from a casual conversation at a mixer, but never say never.

LawintheD

Postby LawintheD » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:08 pm

For OCI last year I found younger associates at the firms that graduated from my law school and e-mailed them questions about the firm before my CB interviews. Is this kosher for these short pre-select interviews? I feel like if nothing else it shows genuine interest to learn some things about the firm that are not posted on the website.

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:43 pm

fishfry111

Postby fishfry111 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:25 pm

[
Last edited by fishfry111 on Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

djkrish

Postby djkrish » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:55 am

don't agree with that at all, unless you just happen to be perfect on paper. The name drop isn't about throwing away your dignity, just proof that you're actually interested enough to make connections at that firm and maintain them. just my two cents though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:07 am

djkrish wrote:don't agree with that at all, unless you just happen to be perfect on paper. The name drop isn't about throwing away your dignity, just proof that you're actually interested enough to make connections at that firm and maintain them. just my two cents though.

The name drop is meaningless if they can't walk to that persons office and have a conversation about you. You may meet someone several times, but if you haven't established a relationship with them, then you're acting in incredibly poor form. Its also a really bad idea to do that and not give them a heads up that you did so.

People network and meet people all the time. If someone walks in to my office and asks me about a student that I have met twice at a networking event, or exchanged a handful of generic emails that could have gone to any alumni from our school, then I'm going to have a bad taste in my mouth. On top of that, what am I going to say positively anyway?

You drop a name because the person reading it can then go see that person, and they will make a strong pitch as to why you should be brought in for an interview. If they aren't going to advocate for you (and put their own reputation on the line in doing so) then its worthless, and in most cases will do more harm than good.

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:19 am

fishfry111

Postby fishfry111 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:48 am

[
Last edited by fishfry111 on Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:51 pm

I have a problem. Got some PS's through the Vault MCCA fair in DC, but it's on August 2nd, the 2nd day of PLIP. Going means 3 interviews at a diversity fair versus sacrificing a PLIP slot plus a possible alternate. Input, anybody?

chem

Postby chem » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a problem. Got some PS's through the Vault MCCA fair in DC, but it's on August 2nd, the 2nd day of PLIP. Going means 3 interviews at a diversity fair versus sacrificing a PLIP slot plus a possible alternate. Input, anybody?

3 birds in the hand are worth more than 1 and 1 in the bush?

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:27 pm

Are you an IP person? Is your interview slot at PLIP a firm you want to work for (target market, etc)?

But yea, I think 3 > 1 unless your 1 is Jones Day or something.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:40 pm

kyle010723 wrote:Are you an IP person? Is your interview slot at PLIP a firm you want to work for (target market, etc)?

The 3 in DC include Latham (other 2 are not much).. The 1 here at PLIP is Paul Weiss, alternate at Jones Day. Another small issue is the flight from Chicgo to DC & back.

kyle010723

Postby kyle010723 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The 3 in DC include Latham (other 2 are not much).. The 1 here at PLIP is Paul Weiss, alternate at Jones Day. Another small issue is the flight from Chicgo to DC & back.

Ouch, thats a tough one, Latham vs. Paul Weiss. Are they in the same market? Or is one in your target and another is not?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
kyle010723 wrote:Are you an IP person? Is your interview slot at PLIP a firm you want to work for (target market, etc)?

The 3 in DC include Latham (other 2 are not much).. The 1 here at PLIP is Paul Weiss, alternate at Jones Day. Another small issue is the flight from Chicgo to DC & back.

Write to recruiters at whatever job fair you don't pick and explain that you've been allotted more interviews at X conflicting job fair and despite firm Y being at the top of your list, you'll need to go with the numbers. Then ask to reschedule a time when you're in town.

Personally, I'd go with the 3. A screener is exceptionally far from a guarantee of any kind. If you're a minority I also think that is a better card to play than just IP. Plus, you'll still get the IP boost at the minority fair.

Return to “Legal Employment”