Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ivylucky

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013 Thread: ITT we share interview tips

Postby ivylucky » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:54 pm

Hi, anyone wants to share a room for one night on July 31th in Hilton Double Tree? The room with two queen beds is 179. I am female. Message me if you are interested.

Aureusmons

Postby Aureusmons » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:16 pm

Last edited by Aureusmons on Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi to Rising 3L's & Others who've Gone Through This:

Could give us neubies examples of some nightmare questions you've been asked by a screener at PLIP? (ie. questions that were just plain hard, or questions posed in such a way by screens who were just plain dicks). Sound off so that we may benefit from your wisdom.

I was once asked: "In a patent litigation, if there is a term in dispute and the parties cannot agree on its meaning, what is the primary source to use for interpretation?" I think that question is pretty hard for a rising 2L. The answer is the specification.

Another question that can trip you up involves details about your undergraduate institution, especially relating to sports (if it had a D1 program). Just be sure that if your program had something that made the national news, you can speak intelligibly about it.

Another guy said to me, first thing when I walked in: "Listen, you're qualified for this job, but so are the last 10 people I just spoke to. So give me a good reason I should hire you."

But the worst one I ever got was, first thing sitting down with the interviewer: "So, do you have any questions for me?" THAT was tough, because it was totally unexpected. So, make sure you have intelligent questions to ask (tailored to that firm, not generic).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:if a firm lists multiple names under the "interviewer" section, does that mean i'll have multiple people interviewing me at the same time?

also, is it fine to check out the interviewer's linkedin page? i know with linkedin, people know who viewed their profile and didn't want to come off seeming "stalker-like."

To the first one, yes. The most awkward interview I ever had was with two people-one sitting at a desk and the other on the individual chair, with me on the couch in between them. They alternated asking questions, and I had to turn left to talk to one, and right to talk to the other. Really weird.

To the second one, yes as well. I can almost guarantee you that the interviewer won't notice, but even if he/she does, they won't care. If anything, it'd be seen as a positive.

Postby 314159265358979 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:50 pm

Aureusmons wrote:When a firm asks us to bring a cover letter, transcripts, and/or writing sample(s) to the interview, what is the proper etiquette for giving them these things? Will they ask for them at the beginning of the interview? Should the documents be labeled, stapled, or otherwise organized in some special way?

More importantly - Anyone have tips for writing an IP cover letter?

You should have them all ready to go-I recommend 1 full set for each firm, even if they didn't request them. Keep them loosleaf so you can pick and choose which documents for each interview, as not each one will want them all.

There's really nothing different about an IP cover letter. If you have a science background, highlight it. If not, explain why you're interested and why you'd be an asset to the firm-pretty standard stuff.

Also, I'm the poster for this and the last two posts. Anonymous feature is really easy to select accidentally.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi to Rising 3L's & Others who've Gone Through This:

Could give us neubies examples of some nightmare questions you've been asked by a screener at PLIP? (ie. questions that were just plain hard, or questions posed in such a way by screens who were just plain dicks). Sound off so that we may benefit from your wisdom.

I also had the "so do you have any questions for me" question right at the start of the interview. That was basically 20 minutes of me asking all the questions, though the interviewer did give me lengthy responses that took up some of the time.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:29 pm

Aureusmons wrote:When a firm asks us to bring a cover letter, transcripts, and/or writing sample(s) to the interview, what is the proper etiquette for giving them these things? Will they ask for them at the beginning of the interview? Should the documents be labeled, stapled, or otherwise organized in some special way?

I compiled everything that each firm asked for into one large manilla envelope. I used a document clip, not staples, to hold everything together.

I handed this envelope to the interviewer either as soon as I sat down, or at the end of the interview, depending on how the conversation flowed. Sometimes, they were very chatty right from the start so I would wait until the end to give it to them.

faintbeam

Postby faintbeam » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:31 pm

Whoops, I responded in the previous two posts. Anonymous is easy to pick, especially for a new poster like me!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:52 am

can we get a separate thread for all the questions past PLIPers have seen in previous interviews?

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:56 am

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:58 am

Anonymous User

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013:Past PLIPrs,what interview Qs were u asked?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:00 pm

Hey guys,

I have an interview scheduled with a firm I had a 1L SA cb for, but didn't receive the offer for this summer. Anyone else been in a situation like this before? Should I just talk about my experience with my cb and how I still would love to work for the firm or stress more the grade improvement second semester and such.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:04 pm

Mine weren't stapled or clipped or anything, but they were sorted and in order. Unlike the other guy I never gave them anything they didn't ask for, but I had extras of everything just in case. I sat down and said "Here is my information" or "here are my documents" or whatever and handed it over right away. Sometimes they looked at it, sometimes they didn't. Having it and being organized are the keys here.

None of my firms wanted a cover letter, so I have no idea.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey guys,

I have an interview scheduled with a firm I had a 1L SA cb for, but didn't receive the offer for this summer. Anyone else been in a situation like this before? Should I just talk about my experience with my cb and how I still would love to work for the firm or stress more the grade improvement second semester and such.

Nothing wrong with this, firms very rarely hire 1Ls these days and unless you were ridiclously amazing or a minority you probably didn't have much of a shot.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:23 pm

Jsa725 wrote:Past PLIPers,

What are some questions that you were asked during PLIP interviews?

Tell me about yourself. Why did you go to law school? Why are you interested in patent law/IP? Patent prosecution or patent litigation? Why are you interested in our firm? Which office are you interested in? Where are you from? What other firms/cities are you applying to? Are you willing to go to this other city you have never considered before simply because we need patent people there? What did you like about your undergraduate degree? Tell me about your undergraduate science research. What questions do you have for us?

One firm terrified me with these: Describe to me an engineering problem you faced in your pre-law job and how you solved it. Answer this simple engineering question. But my godawful answers must have worked somehow.

fishfry111

Postby fishfry111 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:25 pm

[
Last edited by fishfry111 on Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrsmartypants

Postby mrsmartypants » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:09 pm

fishfry111 wrote:Unbelievable. They actually test you on your tech/science? Don't they know that most of us went into IP is because we wanted to un-nerd ourselves and go into law? From your experience, what ratio of screeners grilled you on actual tech?

I don't interview at PLIP and can't speak to other firms' practices, but when I interview candidates for typical entry-level prosecution work, I care as much or more about their technical backgrounds as their legal backgrounds. It would be a mistake to expect to "un-nerd" oneself going into a prosecution job--though litigation is a whole 'nother story.

fishfry111

Postby fishfry111 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:30 pm

[
Last edited by fishfry111 on Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrsmartypants

Postby mrsmartypants » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:13 am

fishfry111 wrote:Thanks, Great hearing from an interviewer. Your firm is more into prosecution work, right? Have you ever interviewed candidates for IP-Lit work, and if yes, how much less of a focus on tech/science is there (a whole 'another story) ?

I've never interviewed anyone for lit, but I have interviewed folks for counseling and post-issue practice. There, I place somewhat less emphasis on technical skills and considerably more on legal analysis and writing skills. The majority of firms interviewing for pure lit probably aren't going to care much about technical skills, particularly if you have a technical degree.

djkrish

Postby djkrish » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:23 am

so maybe stupid question. if i GOT an interview with a firm I like should I also bid at my schools OCI to help my chances of getting hired? or is that just overkill

Aureusmons

Postby Aureusmons » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:19 am

Last edited by Aureusmons on Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

faintbeam

Postby faintbeam » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:39 pm

djkrish wrote:so maybe stupid question. if i GOT an interview with a firm I like should I also bid at my schools OCI to help my chances of getting hired? or is that just overkill

I dealt with this last summer, so I contacted the firm. They told me not to bid for the OCI slot. Our OCI is a little later than some schools, and I had already interviewed at PLIP with the firm when I contacted them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:34 pm

faintbeam wrote:
djkrish wrote:so maybe stupid question. if i GOT an interview with a firm I like should I also bid at my schools OCI to help my chances of getting hired? or is that just overkill

I dealt with this last summer, so I contacted the firm. They told me not to bid for the OCI slot. Our OCI is a little later than some schools, and I had already interviewed at PLIP with the firm when I contacted them.

I would go the other way. Bid at both, but at OCI, target the firm's market other than the one at PLIP. First, they probably won't cross-check. Also what can your Career Services do to you? They're useless here, and you are on your own.

Nammertat

Postby Nammertat » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:46 pm

Have people figured out how they're getting form the airports to the hotel?

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:51 pm

Return to “Legal Employment”