Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
fishfry111

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013 Thread: ITT we BS until interviews are sent

Postby fishfry111 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:13 pm

F
Last edited by fishfry111 on Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 314159265358979 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:As a former scientist, I'll be the first to admit that I'm not the most socially savvy person out there. However, I would like to think that I'm not so awkward that I can't talk to other people. But having read stories of people getting many interviews but no callbacks/offers, I'm definitely getting a bit nervous with Loyola/SIPJF/OCI just around the corner.

Aside from the obvious (e.g. talking about a city where the firm doesn't have an office, lack of research on what the firm does, getting obnoxiously drunk at the reception, horrible body odor), what are some other mistakes that people should avoid to increase their chances of receiving callbacks/offers?

It's probably easier to start with the things you SHOULD do in an interview:

-Be personable. When you meet your interviewer, smile, give a firm handshake, and use good eye contact throughout. Most of this interview is to determine whether or not the other associates will want to work with you, so try to think about it from their perspective and act like the person who you would want to hire if you were in their shoes.

-Know your resume inside and out. There's nothing more embarrassing than someone asking you about something on your resume that you can't talk about.

-Have good answers to the standard questions-Why law school? Why that school? Why you undergrad major? Why our firm? Why our city? Etc.

-Be prepared to ask thoughtful questions about the firm that show you know something about it. This means looking up something specific beforehand and being prepared to ask the interviewer about it when he says "do you have any questions?" You don't have to remember everything; there's no rule against having a cheat sheet to refresh your memory beforehand.

There are many things you should NOT do in an interview. A few that quickly come to mind:

-Act disinterested, tired, or annoyed. Remember that the interviews are looking at at least 20 people. If you're not on your game, the next guy will look much better than you.

-Be late. Never, ever, ever be late. If your interview time comes up and the door is closed, you knock audibly to let the guy inside know it's time. If he doesn't come, knock again in another few minutes. But never just wait outside without doing anything.

-Ramble. If the interviewer asks you about something you are excited about, that's great and you can (and should) tell him about it. But be very cognizant of your audience and don't get carried away with it. Your interviewer's attention span is finite and he will lose interest after a short time. If possible, bring the answer back around to something that interests the interviewer-people like nothing more than talking about themselves.

chem

Postby chem » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:13 pm

fishfry111 wrote:For you guys who hopefully get pre-selects for the same firm for both SFIPLA and PLIP, will you be choosing the SF interview to demonstrate your love for the region? btw, which program starts first?

Sf. Sf also starts first

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:08 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nammertat

Postby Nammertat » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:13 pm

Jsa725 wrote:
chem wrote:
fishfry111 wrote:For you guys who hopefully get pre-selects for the same firm for both SFIPLA and PLIP, will you be choosing the SF interview to demonstrate your love for the region? btw, which program starts first?

Sf. Sf also starts first

I am just hoping for interviews... I will figure out the rest later.
Does anyone know when SFIPLA schedules are released? PLIP on Monday!

I think I saw July 6th somewhere.

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:16 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:As a former scientist, I'll be the first to admit that I'm not the most socially savvy person out there. However, I would like to think that I'm not so awkward that I can't talk to other people. But having read stories of people getting many interviews but no callbacks/offers, I'm definitely getting a bit nervous with Loyola/SIPJF/OCI just around the corner.

Aside from the obvious (e.g. talking about a city where the firm doesn't have an office, lack of research on what the firm does, getting obnoxiously drunk at the reception, horrible body odor), what are some other mistakes that people should avoid to increase their chances of receiving callbacks/offers?

Think about it this way. Each major firm will see hundreds of 20 minute interviews through August and September. Any one person may see a few dozen people and they'll all get together and try to determine who comes back.

Its not about "not fucking up" its about being so memorable that a person that met you for 20 minutes will pitch you to other people who never met you and convince them you're one of the few that should show up. Its not enough to "not fuck up" you have to demonstrate that you're a compelling candidate and should be brought back for the bigger group.

"Not fucking up" is a great way to minimize the callbacks.

chem

Postby chem » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:31 pm

Pi, or anyone else who wants to pitch in. Could you compare and contrast the work, feel, and associated work/life balance of IP lit v IP pros? I vacillate by the day. From doing some of each I enjoy the work of lit more, but it seems like it can also really mess with your personal life

chem

Postby chem » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Think about it this way. Each major firm will see hundreds of 20 minute interviews through August and September. Any one person may see a few dozen people and they'll all get together and try to determine who comes back.

Its not about "not fucking up" its about being so memorable that a person that met you for 20 minutes will pitch you to other people who never met you and convince them you're one of the few that should show up. Its not enough to "not fuck up" you have to demonstrate that you're a compelling candidate and should be brought back for the bigger group.

Partially disagree. Everything I have heard from interviewing in general is that the better your grades/school, the more it becomes just "not fucking up"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:40 pm

chem wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Partially disagree. Everything I have heard from interviewing in general is that the better your grades/school, the more it becomes just "not fucking up"

Thats step one, but if you just rely on not fucking up, and are plain vanilla joe... you're going to have a hard time getting out of the pile (from someone with lots of recruiting and hiring experience)

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:32 am

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:57 pm

Are we going to continue this thread and focus on interview tips after tomorrow? I believe the oci link and several posts have already added some insight as to how to interview/what recruiters look for, but the more info the better!

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:38 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:35 pm

This wait is almost as bad as waiting for 1L grades!

eschewinganonymity

Postby eschewinganonymity » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:21 pm

Schedules are up!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:22 pm

And they're up. 16 for me.

B.S. Chem, >5 yrs WE in pharma, top 5% T1 at time of bidding.

Mostly got interviews in my home market.

Edit to add: got a couple firmwides and a few Chicago (rest are home market which is a large market), also had one other firm call me a few weeks ago to set up in-office interview before PLIP.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:23 pm

I just got the email! But the website isn't loading. Too much traffic I guess. :shock:

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:25 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:28 pm

Shooting 100%. Got all I applied for.

~10 years WE, BSME, >top 5% @ t50

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:31 pm

I am the 16 interviews from above. 12 on Thurs, 4 on Fri... gonna be a long day Thurs... gulp!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:33 pm

13. top 11% at t10. Engineering. 6 alternates

disappointing :(.

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:33 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:36 pm

I posted earlier in the thread (anonymously) that my GPA went up significantly second semester. Am I able to be added to any interview lists on-site to any other employers (who didn't invite me initially) by walking in with my updated transcript and resume?

T14 - Hard Science BS - No WE - Below Median First Semester
1 interview and 1 alternate

calmonster

Postby calmonster » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:37 pm

got 14 interviews, 2 alternates

top 25% at t95, MSEE, 8 years of work experience

didn't get MoFo... too bad.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I posted earlier in the thread (anonymously) that my GPA went up significantly second semester. Am I able to be added to any interview lists on-site to any other employers (who didn't invite me initially) by walking in with my updated transcript and resume?

T14 - Hard Science BS - No WE - Below Median First Semester
1 interview and 1 alternate

Just go to all the events, explain, have new transcript, and see what happens.

For those you got dinged from, send them an updated application / cover letter directly (not through the fair) explaining you'll be there to their recruiting contact for the office they have. They may ignore it, but its worth a shot too.

Return to “Legal Employment”