Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
kyle010723

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013 Thread: ITT we BS until interviews are sent

Postby kyle010723 » Wed May 29, 2013 9:14 pm

lgleye wrote:I confirmed something really disturbing. NYC firms, even if they're foused on IP Lit, want us to pass the Patent Bar. This goes against everything I've read on IP Lit firms, but associate alumni at K&S, KayeScholer, and Cadwalader all say the same. Apparently, "doing patent pros work makes you a better IP litigator"

I also heard this in general, not just NYC firms. It is certainly possible to go from prosecutor to litigator later on in the career, but it would be much harder to go the other way around. So I would not be surprised if that is the case.

lgleye

Postby lgleye » Thu May 30, 2013 10:11 am

Last edited by lgleye on Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jimbo_Jones

Postby Jimbo_Jones » Thu May 30, 2013 10:22 am

lgleye wrote:Just what is involved with taking the PatBar? They say no IP legal knowledge is required. Is it a simple matter of reading a pamphlet and taking the test?

If by pamphlet you mean a poorly written 3300+ page manual then yes. Actually its a combination of learning how to search the MPEP for what you need and memorizing past questions. Kind of a pain in the ass but definitely doable with enough practice. It is good to have a secondary source to use as a primer. That helped me a lot.

fishfry111

Postby fishfry111 » Thu May 30, 2013 10:58 am

There has got to a another way. How about review books or online courses that have pracrice questions?

fishfry111

Postby fishfry111 » Thu May 30, 2013 11:18 am

Last edited by fishfry111 on Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

auds1008

Postby auds1008 » Thu May 30, 2013 11:30 am

fishfry111 wrote:There has got to a another way. How about review books or online courses that have pracrice questions?

http://www.mypatentbar.com is your best bet

fishfry111

Postby fishfry111 » Thu May 30, 2013 12:22 pm

[t
Last edited by fishfry111 on Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Thu May 30, 2013 1:21 pm

what's PLEP? MPEP?

fishfry111

Postby fishfry111 » Thu May 30, 2013 3:24 pm

[
Last edited by fishfry111 on Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

auds1008

Postby auds1008 » Thu May 30, 2013 3:52 pm

fishfry111 wrote:
auds1008 wrote:
fishfry111 wrote:There has got to a another way. How about review books or online courses that have pracrice questions?

http://www.mypatentbar.com is your best bet

Thanks !! This looks like an online version of the MPEP. Is this what you used on the exam or did you use another electronic form, or paper form? I see what you mean, there's no way to memorize the whole PLEP, so mastery of flipping to the appropriate sections is crucial.

you get a pdf version of the MPEP that you can search on the computer you're taking the test with (i hated the search function on that pdf).. like people said before, you have to know where things are, i.e. which chapter reexamination falls under.

one of the huge benefits with mypatentbar is that there's a section where previous test takers post questions they somehow memorized from their exams and put them online for people to review. i saw at least 30+ identical questions on the actual exam from my review with mypatentbar. so learn the basics of MPEP and then go through those questions then you'll be good.

i took the exam before it was modified so what i said might not apply. i just don't know. i never bothered to check the change.

fishfry111

Postby fishfry111 » Thu May 30, 2013 4:46 pm

[
Last edited by fishfry111 on Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

auds1008

Postby auds1008 » Thu May 30, 2013 4:55 pm

fishfry111 wrote:
auds1008 wrote:you get a pdf version of the MPEP that you can search on the computer you're taking the test with (i hated the search function on that pdf).. like people said before, you have to know where things are, i.e. which chapter reexamination falls under.

one of the huge benefits with mypatentbar is that there's a section where previous test takers post questions they somehow memorized from their exams and put them online for people to review. i saw at least 30+ identical questions on the actual exam from my review with mypatentbar. so learn the basics of MPEP and then go through those questions then you'll be good.

i took the exam before it was modified so what i said might not apply. i just don't know. i never bothered to check the change.

Great. I clicked on the "Subscribe" link, but it led only to sample questions. Where to I subscribe and pay a fee? This can't possibly be free.

hah. that's the other great thing about it. it's completely free. the recurring questions posted by past test takers are under the "Exam questions and concepts" and "Repeat questions" tabs. look also at the comment sections of those two tabs.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 30, 2013 5:58 pm

lgleye wrote:
Jsa725 wrote:
lgleye wrote:
I dunno. Cenventional wisdom says don't spread yourself too thin and stay in one proximity. It's pretty hard to convince them you love both coasts at the same time. Reston & DC are a stone's throw away, but adding other markets may reveal that you just want a job, any job, with them. The only stretch would be to add NYC, which means Lit focus..... are you going Lit or Pros?

IP Lit... Basically, I bid them originally to fill out all 32 bids once I exhausted all available options in my target market

Also IP LIt........ but last week, I confirmed something really disturbing. NYC firms, even if they're foused on IP Lit, want us to pass the Patent Bar. This goes against everything I've read on IP Lit firms, but associate alumni at K&S, KayeScholer, and Cadwalader all say the same. Apparently, "doing patent pros work makes you a better IP litigator", or some bullshit like that. Pisses me off though...... seems like they're just erecting another hoop for us to jump through.
Lastly, I might add that this is just specific to NYC.....

I'm sorry but this is just plain common sense, and incredibly true. Without at least some prosecution background you will be hindered in your actual skill and in the market we're in you'll get passed over left and right with qualified candidates that DO have that qualification.

I personally find it to be bullshit when people (commonly schools) try and sell kids on the fact that they can do IP Lit w/o the technical background. Sure.... you could, but you can't any more (it is a rare exception at least).

Nammertat

Postby Nammertat » Thu May 30, 2013 6:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
lgleye wrote:
Jsa725 wrote:
lgleye wrote:
I dunno. Cenventional wisdom says don't spread yourself too thin and stay in one proximity. It's pretty hard to convince them you love both coasts at the same time. Reston & DC are a stone's throw away, but adding other markets may reveal that you just want a job, any job, with them. The only stretch would be to add NYC, which means Lit focus..... are you going Lit or Pros?

IP Lit... Basically, I bid them originally to fill out all 32 bids once I exhausted all available options in my target market

Also IP LIt........ but last week, I confirmed something really disturbing. NYC firms, even if they're foused on IP Lit, want us to pass the Patent Bar. This goes against everything I've read on IP Lit firms, but associate alumni at K&S, KayeScholer, and Cadwalader all say the same. Apparently, "doing patent pros work makes you a better IP litigator", or some bullshit like that. Pisses me off though...... seems like they're just erecting another hoop for us to jump through.
Lastly, I might add that this is just specific to NYC.....

I'm sorry but this is just plain common sense, and incredibly true. Without at least some prosecution background you will be hindered in your actual skill and in the market we're in you'll get passed over left and right with qualified candidates that DO have that qualification.

I personally find it to be bullshit when people (commonly schools) try and sell kids on the fact that they can do IP Lit w/o the technical background. Sure.... you could, but you can't any more (it is a rare exception at least).

I think there is merit to the concept here, but that you have overstated the gap. Schools definitely do overstate the marketability of non-tech people *coughGWcough* and it is definitely necessary to have an escape route in case things don't work out. I will say however that many of the DC/SF/SV GP firms are still very much open to the idea of taking non-tech degree people who have excelled in other areas. I was told early on that if I didn't pull top 20% at least, patent lit was simply out of the deal, and this turned out to be spot on. MoFo, Cov, Jones, Kirk will all consider a guy without patent bar eligibility.

fishfry111

Postby fishfry111 » Thu May 30, 2013 9:34 pm

[
Last edited by fishfry111 on Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nammertat

Postby Nammertat » Fri May 31, 2013 2:08 pm

fishfry111 wrote:
Nammertat wrote:
I think there is merit to the concept here, but that you have overstated the gap. Schools definitely do overstate the marketability of non-tech people *coughGWcough* and it is definitely necessary to have an escape route in case things don't work out. I will say however that many of the DC/SF/SV GP firms are still very much open to the idea of taking non-tech degree people who have excelled in other areas. I was told early on that if I didn't pull top 20% at least, patent lit was simply out of the deal, and this turned out to be spot on. MoFo, Cov, Jones, Kirk will all consider a guy without patent bar eligibility.

Now, Now, let's play nice, because there are probably some GW people here. Although I must wonder about the hype that GW's IP program enjoys, even though statistically, the percentage of the class with tech background is not noticeably higher than that at other schools. So what you guys are saying (and I agree) is that it's the PROGRAM that they're hyping about, not the students. and students, regardless of the program quality, will still be limited by a lack of a tech background.

Full disclosure: I'm a non-PB eligible GW'er that has had things work out surprisingly well.

I would say 3/4 or more of the IP group @ GW is patent bar eligible. The exposure itself is a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy in that firms come for events / OCI based on the high percentage of students with favorable backgrounds, and IP 0L's choose GW for access to these firms. That being said, I am happy to ride the coattails of the patent-bar eligible people and swoop in for a job! For non-tech people it just takes better grades / internships to stand out.

fishfry111

Postby fishfry111 » Fri May 31, 2013 3:05 pm

[
Last edited by fishfry111 on Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nammertat

Postby Nammertat » Fri May 31, 2013 3:33 pm

fishfry111 wrote:
Nammertat wrote:Full disclosure: I'm a non-PB eligible GW'er that has had things work out surprisingly well.

I would say 3/4 or more of the IP group @ GW is patent bar eligible. The exposure itself is a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy in that firms come for events / OCI based on the high percentage of students with favorable backgrounds, and IP 0L's choose GW for access to these firms. That being said, I am happy to ride the coattails of the patent-bar eligible people and swoop in for a job! For non-tech people it just takes better grades / internships to stand out.

Really encouraging, thanks. So, from your experience, lack of parbar eligibility is only a slight impediment, compensated by higher grades. As to that, how much higher? If you don't mind, your GPA at GW? Last, are you c/o 2014 or 2015?

PM'd- rather not put that on blast

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:37 am

Anyone see any changes on their PLIP Simplicity? (extra bid slits, etc.) or are we relegated to sitting quietly and waiting?

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:54 am

Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thebigspoon

Postby thebigspoon » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:04 am

For those of you doing SFIPLA, there are still no bidding options right? Just wondering bc the website says bidding opened yesterday

fishfry111

Postby fishfry111 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:34 pm

[
Last edited by fishfry111 on Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jsa725

Postby Jsa725 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:18 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Agent

Postby Agent » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:42 am

I haven't seen a lineup lately, but I recall fewer than a dozen firms interviewing at SFIPLA's job fair. They included Blakely Sokoloff, Dechert, and Klarquist Sparkman. I also think that Perkins Coie and Quinn interviewed there. There was some overlap with PLIP. HTH.

fishfry111 wrote:How big is SFIPLA anyway, as compared with PLIP? Are there different firms, or firms with different IP-subpractice areas that go specifically to SFIPLA rather than PLIP>

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:27 pm

To contribute to paranoia, I've been contacted by phone by a few firms regarding selection.

Return to “Legal Employment”