Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013 Thread..calling PLIP Allstars for their exp

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:33 pm

bigredforlaw wrote:I really don't think it'll look "bad" if you switch transfer schools by the time interviews come around. I have a friend who did something similar when she transferred from American. She was going to GW then last minute (like literally day before school started) got in at GULC. She already had screeners with GW on her resume and just let the firms know before her callbacks. She couldn't continue with screeners from GW, but the firms that invited her back didn't care. I would, however, learn how to use the correct form of "there" before you make your resume packets.

thx! good look, i know the diff. just typed it out wrong :oops:

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013 Thread..calling PLIP Allstars for their exp

Postby 09042014 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:34 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Assholes scheduled PLIP on WEEKDAYS of my second-to-last week of work in Portland, so I won't be making the trip to Chicago.


Unless you are working an SA that you are almost definitely sure you'll get an offer at, you still should be making the trip.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13915
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013 Thread..calling PLIP Allstars for their exp

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:52 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Assholes scheduled PLIP on WEEKDAYS of my second-to-last week of work in Portland, so I won't be making the trip to Chicago.


Unless you are working an SA that you are almost definitely sure you'll get an offer at, you still should be making the trip.

Gov't job that doesn't hire fresh grads, so not one of those.

Is there a way to ensure you only get Friday interviews? I could see MAYBE it being ok to fly out Thursday after work (ugh).

Also, could I bid and get an interview schedule and then cancel them all later if missing work is just not going be ok?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013 Thread..calling PLIP Allstars for their exp

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:54 pm

bumping for DesertFox (or others w/ experience)... do have you any clue how WUSTL fare's at PLIP

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:i was a systems admin and malware analyst before LS and have a good enough resume to show an interest in technology and technology processes (i am not a computer genius though)... i am down for california (SO is down for that too) but i lack the bio/chem/ hard science degree.

i just want options.... i currently attend a low ranked school and am praying to sweet baby jesus that GW sends me an EA acceptance, otherwise i am royally fucked because i am not sure if i can even get an interview from where i currently go....

i am; however, down for the ground game... and have no problem attending PILP and just resume dropping (with a summer acceptance somewhere) even without an interview on my plate.


I'd aim DC and Cal.

IM the anon above:

just wondering ...

I am waiting on GW to send a decision on my Transfer EA application... and to my surprise WUSTL just accepted me as a transfer :mrgreen:
I go to a low ranked school and I am shocked. That said, will putting WUSTL on my resume for purposes of bidding for PLIP help me (does WUSTL get good cred in the IP legal community)? the bidding deadline is May 2 and i will just chill for now; however, i am fairly certain i will get zero interviews out of my 1L school.... obvs. WUSTL > my current school.

ill be bidding on DC and CA (Palo Alto/ SF) BUT is it wise to bid Chi/ or NY as well with any extra bids i have left?... i want to use all 32 bids.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013 Thread..calling PLIP Allstars for their exp

Postby 09042014 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:00 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Assholes scheduled PLIP on WEEKDAYS of my second-to-last week of work in Portland, so I won't be making the trip to Chicago.


Unless you are working an SA that you are almost definitely sure you'll get an offer at, you still should be making the trip.

Gov't job that doesn't hire fresh grads, so not one of those.

Is there a way to ensure you only get Friday interviews? I could see MAYBE it being ok to fly out Thursday after work (ugh).

Also, could I bid and get an interview schedule and then cancel them all later if missing work is just not going be ok?


Even POTUS takes vacation days. You can't only get Friday interviews, but you can cancel all thursday ones. But it's stupid.

First, your employer won't get too mad about you going to a career fair. They most likely don't even care.

Second, even if they do, fuck them. What are they going to do? Fire you? Lol no.

OCI/PLIP is the most important part of law school. Blowing it off for a temp. job is just a poor idea.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013 Thread..calling PLIP Allstars for their exp

Postby 09042014 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:bumping for DesertFox (or others w/ experience)... do have you any clue how WUSTL fare's at PLIP

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:i was a systems admin and malware analyst before LS and have a good enough resume to show an interest in technology and technology processes (i am not a computer genius though)... i am down for california (SO is down for that too) but i lack the bio/chem/ hard science degree.

i just want options.... i currently attend a low ranked school and am praying to sweet baby jesus that GW sends me an EA acceptance, otherwise i am royally fucked because i am not sure if i can even get an interview from where i currently go....

i am; however, down for the ground game... and have no problem attending PILP and just resume dropping (with a summer acceptance somewhere) even without an interview on my plate.


I'd aim DC and Cal.

IM the anon above:

just wondering ...

I am waiting on GW to send a decision on my Transfer EA application... and to my surprise WUSTL just accepted me as a transfer :mrgreen:
I go to a low ranked school and I am shocked. That said, will putting WUSTL on my resume for purposes of bidding for PLIP help me (does WUSTL get good cred in the IP legal community)? the bidding deadline is May 2 and i will just chill for now; however, i am fairly certain i will get zero interviews out of my 1L school.... obvs. WUSTL > my current school.

ill be bidding on DC and CA (Palo Alto/ SF) BUT is it wise to bid Chi/ or NY as well with any extra bids i have left?... i want to use all 32 bids.


I don't really know about the transfer thing. Do you think GWU will get back to you before May2? I think GWU would be better, but I'm not sure by how much.

As for the bidding, I wouldn't bid chicago unless you have ties, but if you do, then yes. NYC probably works without ties. Use every bid.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013 Thread..calling PLIP Allstars for their exp

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:10 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I don't really know about the transfer thing. Do you think GWU will get back to you before May2? I think GWU would be better, but I'm not sure by how much.

As for the bidding, I wouldn't bid chicago unless you have ties, but if you do, then yes. NYC probably works without ties. Use every bid.

i sure hope GWU gets back to me before i bid, otherwise WUSTL is going on the resume! haha... i really want GW or GULC.
ok that is a good idea... i will use every bid i can in DC/CA and any remainders save for NY....

lastly, what is the deal with "patent bar eligible: yes or no" ... does this mean that i should 100% not bid on those firms? i ask because some of their work looks IT related (i.e my background). I thought of maybe using any extra bids on those type of firms in DC/CA that have some IT, Tech, Computer Engineering majors listed. (going IP lit only here)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013 Thread..calling PLIP Allstars for their exp

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:49 pm

B.S. in Hard Sciences (good grades) - patent bar eligible, no relevant work experience, T14 but below median (No A's, No C's) GPA first semester; is there any way to get around sharing my first semester law school GPA and hopefully having an improved GPA when I show up with my entire 1L grades for interviews? If not, do I have any chance at obtaining any interviews?

ETA: Interested in Pat Lit

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013 Thread..calling PLIP Allstars for their exp

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:do have you any clue how WUSTL fare's at PLIP

We do fine. Most people who are IP here have jobs, many from PLIP. Not tons of people who attend are IP (not a magnet like GW), but it has a good rep...basically the same as those similar ranked.

bigredforlaw
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:57 pm

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013 Thread..calling PLIP Allstars for their exp

Postby bigredforlaw » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:36 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Assholes scheduled PLIP on WEEKDAYS of my second-to-last week of work in Portland, so I won't be making the trip to Chicago.


Unless you are working an SA that you are almost definitely sure you'll get an offer at, you still should be making the trip.

Gov't job that doesn't hire fresh grads, so not one of those.

Is there a way to ensure you only get Friday interviews? I could see MAYBE it being ok to fly out Thursday after work (ugh).

Also, could I bid and get an interview schedule and then cancel them all later if missing work is just not going be ok?


You can put in conflicts for Thursday instead of canceling all your Thursday interviews, but like others have said, that's not advisable. If your gov job doesn't hire fresh grads why are you worried about leaving early for PLIP? Most people are concerned about leaving their SA early b/c they don't want the firm to think they wouldn't accept an offer... I worked in state gov last summer and stopped work half a week earlier than all the other interns to attend a few minority fairs. When I asked my supervisor if that was ok, he offered to be my reference.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013 Thread..calling PLIP Allstars for their exp

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:B.S. in Hard Sciences (good grades) - patent bar eligible, no relevant work experience, T14 but below median (No A's, No C's) GPA first semester; is there any way to get around sharing my first semester law school GPA and hopefully having an improved GPA when I show up with my entire 1L grades for interviews? If not, do I have any chance at obtaining any interviews?

ETA: Interested in Pat Lit

If your hard science is EE/CS and you are not straight B/B- you should land something with those grades. WE would help a lot, but doable without if you interview well.

User avatar
Jsa725
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013 Thread..calling PLIP Allstars for their exp

Postby Jsa725 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:46 pm

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013 Thread..calling PLIP Allstars for their exp

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:02 pm

Jsa725 wrote:The "Special Requests" sheet says:
"If you are interested in more than one [Law Firm] location, please create a cover sheet for your resume that ranks your location preferences in order."
-AND-
"Please only bid on the office that you are most interested in. If you are interested in other locations, you can relay this information to your interviewer during your interview."

That said, does it look bad if you have more than one preference for a location? Will it look indecisive?


It was not a problem for me. Works best if you have ties to multiple locations. I ultimately landed a job with a firm whose interviewers I enthusiastically told that I'd be glad to work in any office.

User avatar
Jsa725
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013 Thread..calling PLIP Allstars for their exp

Postby Jsa725 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:47 am

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013 Thread..calling PLIP Allstars for their exp

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:47 am

Jsa725 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Jsa725 wrote:The "Special Requests" sheet says:
"If you are interested in more than one [Law Firm] location, please create a cover sheet for your resume that ranks your location preferences in order."
-AND-
"Please only bid on the office that you are most interested in. If you are interested in other locations, you can relay this information to your interviewer during your interview."

That said, does it look bad if you have more than one preference for a location? Will it look indecisive?


It was not a problem for me. Works best if you have ties to multiple locations. I ultimately landed a job with a firm whose interviewers I enthusiastically told that I'd be glad to work in any office.

Thx! Yes, I have ties to 2 major markets... I am seeking IP Lit only and I hope to land some interviews @ PLIP but I only have Tech WE and I am not patbar eligible... It should be interesting!

Btw: Are you pros or lit? Did it seem like there was a demand for lit work @ PLIP when you attended? I cannot tell whether I am at a disadvantage (large or small) b/c I'm not patbar eligible...


I had interest in both. For most firms, I expressed an interest in both. For a few firms, I focused on a willingness to grind out prosecution (advanced technical background).

Yes, you are at a disadvantage. I think it's a big one. Even firms seeking litigation associates seem to prefer patent bar eligibility (perhaps there's less of a bias at OCIs). I think having registered patent attorneys is often more about selling the firm to clients than about actually having a competent prosecution corps.

User avatar
chem
Posts: 867
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:14 pm

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013 Thread..calling PLIP Allstars for their exp

Postby chem » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:22 am

Ugh. I keep putting off cover letters and studying for exams instead. Are you guys basically doing a form cover letter? Or making it special for each of your 32 bids.

Blech

User avatar
Jsa725
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013 Thread..calling PLIP Allstars for their exp

Postby Jsa725 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:02 pm

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Jsa725
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013 Thread..calling PLIP Allstars for their exp

Postby Jsa725 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:04 pm

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Jsa725
Posts: 2003
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013 Thread..calling PLIP Allstars for their exp

Postby Jsa725 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:55 pm

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lblelalr
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:34 pm

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013 Thread..calling PLIP Allstars for their exp

Postby lblelalr » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:22 pm

Are we supposed to upload cover letters too? I remember the email telling us to upload an unofficial transcript with our resume, but it didn't mention anything about a cover letter

edit: quoted the wrong box

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13915
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013 Thread..calling PLIP Allstars for their exp

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:39 pm

bigredforlaw wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Assholes scheduled PLIP on WEEKDAYS of my second-to-last week of work in Portland, so I won't be making the trip to Chicago.


Unless you are working an SA that you are almost definitely sure you'll get an offer at, you still should be making the trip.

Gov't job that doesn't hire fresh grads, so not one of those.

Is there a way to ensure you only get Friday interviews? I could see MAYBE it being ok to fly out Thursday after work (ugh).

Also, could I bid and get an interview schedule and then cancel them all later if missing work is just not going be ok?


You can put in conflicts for Thursday instead of canceling all your Thursday interviews, but like others have said, that's not advisable. If your gov job doesn't hire fresh grads why are you worried about leaving early for PLIP? Most people are concerned about leaving their SA early b/c they don't want the firm to think they wouldn't accept an offer... I worked in state gov last summer and stopped work half a week earlier than all the other interns to attend a few minority fairs. When I asked my supervisor if that was ok, he offered to be my reference.

I haven't even been to my govt job yet, so I don't want to assume that I can just take off time. They wanted 10 weeks from me and I could just barely fit that in before OCI.

I'm really questioning whether PLIP is worth it. I don't want to do just patent prosecution, I don't have a degree or experience in any of the really coveted areas, AFAICT there's no Portland or Denver offices interviewing (just some firms that say "oh and tell us if you want other offices), and it'd cost $500 to fly to Chicago and back.

Being patent bar eligible, to me, is just a box I want to show firms I can check off to make myself look more versatile/valuable. I don't want to be just an IP lawyer.

Aureusmons
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:29 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013 Thread..calling PLIP Allstars for their exp

Postby Aureusmons » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:07 am

...
....
Last edited by Aureusmons on Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Agent
Posts: 340
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:03 pm

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013 Thread..calling PLIP Allstars for their exp

Postby Agent » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:51 am

I recommend that you simply do what each firm asks—this does not need to get complicated.

Aureusmons wrote:Ugh...cover letters...

I was under the impression that we shouldn't submit cover letters unless they were asked for specifically by that firm. Same goes for transcripts?

Some firms' instructions on Symlicity say to bring the cover letter and/or transcript(s) to the interview, while others don't make mention of either one.

Can anyone with experience from previous years please comment on this?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013 Thread..calling PLIP Allstars for their exp

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:47 pm

For those that are transfers... I asked CSO about transferring ....I wanted to make sure employers will look at my résumé and not just skip over me b/c I am transferring (aka they see I am from X school and skip over reading my résumé before noticing my new school)

From Loyola PLIP CSO wrote:Dear TLSer,

The employers will only be able to see your resume, so as long as your transfer is listed there, you should be fine. I would be happy to update your Symplicity profile with your new school if you let me know where you are transferring.

Best,

Patent Law Interview Program

thebigspoon
Posts: 35
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:26 pm

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013 Thread..calling PLIP Allstars for their exp

Postby thebigspoon » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:04 pm

Aureusmons wrote:Ugh...cover letters...

I was under the impression that we shouldn't submit cover letters unless they were asked for specifically by that firm. Same goes for transcripts?

Some firms' instructions on Symlicity say to bring the cover letter and/or transcript(s) to the interview, while others don't make mention of either one.

Can anyone with experience from previous years please comment on this?


I just checked symplicity. It says you can only upload resumes and transcripts. Anything else they want you should just bring in hard copy. This message went away after i started uploading docs though. I can't even click the cover letter option when uploading stuff. no idea what the previous posters were thinking when talking about cover letters




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.