Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:24 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:I was talking about places with IP presence (kirkland, ropes, proskauer) but you're talking to a corporate bro

Yeah I don't have any personal experience here. My gut feel is hide it unless asked but if they do ask then mention the interest. Full disclosure this is what I did and struck out with any firms I did this with but none of them had big IP practices. Just smaller groups that likely were not hiring at all. I tend to think that all of the GP firms with big IP practices wouldn't ask if they weren't looking to pass you on to some IP guys at CBs.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Brinks (Chicago) CB today via email.

3L or 2L?

Anciano

Postby Anciano » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:44 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:I was talking about places with IP presence (kirkland, ropes, proskauer) but you're talking to a corporate bro

Kirkland and Ropes both do tons of patent litigation, and everyone at those firms knows that. If you have a science background and are interested in IP, I can't imagine that it would hurt to mention it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Brinks (Chicago) CB today via email.

3L or 2L?

2L

swords

Postby swords » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:3L EE w great WE but forgettable LS credentials, got 7 screeners and 1 CB. So far. Probably my only CB; the only other screener I felt great about is for a smaller firm looking for 1 or 2 candidates so I'm not holding my breath on that oe.

But, I feel like I blew the CB because I was largely unprepared to be grilled on my tech credentials. Since 1L, I must have had some 40-50 individual interviews(screeners and CB combined) and the questionsabout my tech background were always cursory.But here, these guys wanted to gauge my familiarity w specific tech areas, or explain to them in detail what I did as an engineer. I was caught up short and my answers were halting and vague. Even having to justify engineering grades from 15 years ago. Ugh.

Looking back, out of all my interviews at all kinds of firms. from GPS to the large IP boutiques (Fish & Richardson, etc.), it occurs to me that its the first time I have CBed for a prosecution group specifically (I have only very recently decides to focus on pro). I should have realized that these guys would dig deep but habit and maybe overconfidence borne of experience won over (nowadays I treat all my interviews like a.pleasant chat, and never bring any notes).

TL;DR: be ready to demonstrate your tech chops during patent PROSECUTION CBs.

Seems like all the 3L and 4L evening got about the same 7-8 interviews. If you don't mind, could you please message me which firm grilled you on the tech credentials? I had similar experience on one of my CBs where we went through my undergrad transcript semester by semester pretty much.

kneedrag

Postby kneedrag » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:3L EE w great WE but forgettable LS credentials, got 7 screeners and 1 CB. So far. Probably my only CB; the only other screener I felt great about is for a smaller firm looking for 1 or 2 candidates so I'm not holding my breath on that oe.

But, I feel like I blew the CB because I was largely unprepared to be grilled on my tech credentials. Since 1L, I must have had some 40-50 individual interviews(screeners and CB combined) and the questionsabout my tech background were always cursory.But here, these guys wanted to gauge my familiarity w specific tech areas, or explain to them in detail what I did as an engineer. I was caught up short and my answers were halting and vague. Even having to justify engineering grades from 15 years ago. Ugh.

Looking back, out of all my interviews at all kinds of firms. from GPS to the large IP boutiques (Fish & Richardson, etc.), it occurs to me that its the first time I have CBed for a prosecution group specifically (I have only very recently decides to focus on pro). I should have realized that these guys would dig deep but habit and maybe overconfidence borne of experience won over (nowadays I treat all my interviews like a.pleasant chat, and never bring any notes).

how is this even possible? 15 years of WE and you couldn't answer questions about it? wtf?

Mod note: This was previously posted anonymously. Don't abuse anon to take shots at people.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

how is this even possible? 15 years of WE and you couldn't answer questions about it? wtf?

Haha. After having to read about "25 PS, 10 V50 CBs, and 5 offers" for the last week, I needed this…

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:44 am

Has anybody heard from Frommer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:46 am

The woman I interviewed with for MBHB said they would let us know in two weeks--is all hope lost.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:

check your reading comprehension. i never said i had 15 years of work experience. nor did i say i couldn't answer questions about my work.

they wanted more details than i expected, and i failed to answer with the sort of accuracy, confidence, and fluency that would impress my tech competence onto them. ive interviewed enough that the legal stuff is second nature, but i was rusty on the tech simply because as i explained, the tech talk was always cursory.

but thank you for being an obnoxious dick. i shared my interviewing experience in the hopes of helping people here. sure wont be doing that again. un-fucking-believable.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anybody heard from Frommer?

Also interested in this, and whether anyone has had a callback with Fitzpatrick yet (did they tell how long it would be before you heard back about an offer/rejection?)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Also interested in this, and whether anyone has had a callback with Fitzpatrick yet (did they tell how long it would be before you heard back about an offer/rejection?)

I know of a Fitzpatrick NY callback and offer having been made last week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

My friend got a CB from Frommer the week after Loyola. She has a PhD in a life science.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Do you know how long it was between the callback and the offer?

kneedrag

Postby kneedrag » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

check your reading comprehension. i never said i had 15 years of work experience. nor did i say i couldn't answer questions about my work.

they wanted more details than i expected, and i failed to answer with the sort of accuracy, confidence, and fluency that would impress my tech competence onto them. ive interviewed enough that the legal stuff is second nature, but i was rusty on the tech simply because as i explained, the tech talk was always cursory.

but thank you for being an obnoxious dick. i shared my interviewing experience in the hopes of helping people here. sure wont be doing that again. un-fucking-believable.

wow, get over yourself. maybe this is why you're having a tough time? :roll:

Postby 06102016 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:20 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:To clarify your list:

CB:

Akin Gump (DC)
McDermott (Any and all - they really didn't care)
Mayer Brown (DC)
Kenyon & Kenyon (NY but could be for other places)
Perkins Coie (Seattle)
Knobbe (OC)
Lowenstein (Palo Alto)
Proskauer (Boston)
Jones Day (DC)
White & Case (DC)
Finnegan (DC)

Dings:

WilmerHale (Boston)
Foley (Like everyone else)
O'Melveny (Who cares)
Nutter (Boston)
Hogan Lovels (DC)

New callback this week:

Kilpatrick (Bay Area)

Alston Bird ding my snail mail.

Passed on the Knobbe, Kilpatrick, Kenyon CB.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:To clarify your list:

CB:

Akin Gump (DC)
McDermott (Any and all - they really didn't care)
Mayer Brown (DC)
Kenyon & Kenyon (NY but could be for other places)
Perkins Coie (Seattle)
Knobbe (OC)
Lowenstein (Palo Alto)
Proskauer (Boston)
Jones Day (DC)
White & Case (DC)
Finnegan (DC)

Dings:

WilmerHale (Boston)
Foley (Like everyone else)
O'Melveny (Who cares)
Nutter (Boston)
Hogan Lovels (DC)

New callback this week:

Kilpatrick (Bay Area)

Alston Bird ding my snail mail.

Passed on the Knobbe, Kilpatrick, Kenyon CB.

I was also a snail mail ding from A&B. During the interview, I got the distinct sense they wondered why I was even considering their firm (since my creds are/were 'above' their normal range).

In related news, I know of a PLIP-er with a Kirkland NY offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:

I've had a Fitzpatrick CB and I haven't heard anything yet :-(
Time to start the vigil for the thin envelope.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

How long ago was your CB? I've had one, but was only told I'd hear back "soon." :|

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:14 am

Silence here and ran into my interviewer at OCI. It wasn't particularly awkward + interviewer remembered me without prompting, so I'm just glad no ding yet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:55 pm

Anyone with a cb from Paul Hastings (NY) heard a final decision yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

How long ago was your CB? I've had one, but was only told I'd hear back "soon." :|

About a week. Same thing, "soon." Hang in there...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:34 pm

Sterne Kessler 3L post-CB ding.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sterne Kessler 3L post-CB ding.

email or phone? or snail?

Return to “Legal Employment”