Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273256
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I typically think that you shouldn't read too much positivity in to screeners. They have already committed the day, most times they will fill the docket even if there are only a few real strong candidates they think will go to the next level. If you get a CB then its much more meaningful. That is typically a very costly interview (attorney time, travel) and most* people will be less concerned with stats and more about making sure you'll be a good fit.

I would second this. So far I am getting slaughtered on the screener to CB ratios. 4/22, although I am hoping that it is still early enough that I might pick up a couple more. I think my resume is impressive enough to make me a worthwhile gap filler for the sake of interesting conversation, but not necessarily a "must grab." Maybe I am doing something wrong in the interviews, but I've always felt I was a decent enough interviewer. Plus the callbacks I have secured have been with some big names. So far nothing from the market I was predominantly targeting though so maybe my reasons for wanting to be there weren't quite compelling enough.

Does that CB/Screener ratio of 4/22 mean you got 18 actual dings, or does the 18 include those still waiting for an answer? Seems like your total screener count includes some firs/offeices that probably have small class sizes and therefore, you might have been bumped by a T14 with a 4.0GPA. I mean, how could you score so high on the initial preselect, and then get killed once they actually met you? (I'm assuming that, before the interview, you combed your hair, blew your nose, checked your breath).
Also, by the way, what markets dinged you?

No, not 18 dings. Only 4 actual dings, but haven't been back to my house yet so I'm assuming snail mails are on the way/there. I did pick up 2 more CBs with my two top choices actually, so I'm pretty excited. Bid mostly on Texas firms.


Which TX firms do you have CBs with? If you are not comfortable saying which firms, can you say which town?

Thanks and congrats on your callbacks!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273256
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Those that got a Frommer callback - what was the timeframe between your screening interview and your callback notification?


Did someone say they got a Frommer callback? I must have missed it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273256
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Wait, just to clarify - the Mayer Brown interviewers were associates, and they were able to give you the callback by themselves? Always thought only partners could do that.



This is BS and I have no idea why it keeps spreading around this board. Several people on here even report getting callbacks on the spot from associates. Different firms give different responsibility to different people.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273256
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Those that got a Frommer callback - what was the timeframe between your screening interview and your callback notification?


Did someone say they got a Frommer callback? I must have missed it.

Yeah, one of the pages for August 6th someone said they got a callback. But that's been the only one I've seen. Maybe they're moving slow?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273256
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:59 pm

Rejection from Brinks via email. 3L.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273256
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:59 pm

Has anyone been dinged or heard of anyone being dinged from any of these firms? Sterne Kessler, Fitzpatrick, Kirkland DC, Frommer, Mayer Brown Chicago, or BB Dallas?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273256
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:03 pm

Email ding from A&B just now. :cry:

Anonymous User
Posts: 273256
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Rejection from Brinks via email. 3L.


when?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273256
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Email ding from A&B just now. :cry:

particular office?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273256
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:40 pm

Any idea if firms do Law Clerk hiring after they figure out the SA situation? I have a couple out of state callbacks but havent heard back from any in state firms. I was wondering if it was because I mentioned I would be open to full-time clerking over a SA yob if they were looking to hire one. No snail mail dings yet either

Anonymous User
Posts: 273256
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any idea if firms do Law Clerk hiring after they figure out the SA situation? I have a couple out of state callbacks but havent heard back from any in state firms. I was wondering if it was because I mentioned I would be open to full-time clerking over a SA yob if they were looking to hire one. No snail mail dings yet either

Why would you prefer clerking to a SA position if you're talking about biglaw?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273256
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:51 pm

More than 10 weeks to convince them you are worth extending extending a full time offer. And not to say every firm hooks their law clerks up, but I know for instance a friend who was offered $75k/year + full ride scholarship for a law clerk position. I suppose the path of least resistance is the quick and dirty 10 weeks though, Lol
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273256
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:52 pm

Fish ding via snail mail (from SIPJF)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273256
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:58 pm

We've heard back from...
(Firm w/ no office specified means poster did not specify)

Feel free to update.

Callbacks
Akin Gump DC
Baker Botts
Baker Botts Dallas
Baker Botts NY
Cadwalader
Chadbourne NY
Cooley - phone
Cooley PA
Covington DC
Crowell DC
Desmarais NY - phone
Drinker Biddle Chicago
Finnegan DC
Fish & Richardson DC - email
Fish & Richardson NY
Fitzpatrick NY - email
Foley & Lardner Boston & DC Bio - email
Frommer NY - email
Goodwin Boston
Goodwin NYC
Greenberg Traurig Chicago
Hogan Lovells
Jones Day NY
Jones Day DC
Kaye Scholer
Kenyon NY - phone
Kenyon DC
Kilpatrick - phone
Kilpatrick Bay Area
Kirkland NY - phone
Kirkland Chicago
Kirkland DC
K&L Gates Chicago
Knobbe Martens Orange County (SFIPLA)
Latham - phone
Latham Chicago
Latham NY
Lowenstein Palo Alto
Marshall Gerstein
Mayer Brown DC
Mayer Brown NY
McDermott DC
McDermott Chicago
McDonnell Boehnen
McKool Dallas
MoFo - email
Paul Hastings - phone
Paul Hastings NY
Paul Weiss NY
Perkins Coie Seattle
Proskauer Boston
Quinn NY
Ropes & Gray NY
Rothwell Figg - phone
Sidley Austin NY
Sidley Austin PA
Sterne Kessler DC Bio/Chem and Electrical - phone
Sughrue Bio/chem - email
Troutman Sanders - phone
Troutman Sanders NY - email
White & Case DC
WilmerHale NY
WilmerHale SV/SF
WilmerHale Boston
Wilson Sonsini DC
Winston Houston

Dings
A&B - email
Brinks - email
Cadwalader NY - email
Chadbourne NY
Covington NY - email
Crowell & Moring - email
Desmarais - snail mail
Drinker Biddle - snail mail
Fish (SIPFJ) - snail mail
Foley Hoag - email
Foley & Lardner (Elect. Pros.) - email
Haynes & Boone
Hogan Lovells DC
Jenner
Jenner Chicago
Jones Day Chicago
Jones Day NY - email
Jones Day - email
Kaye Scholer - email
Latham Chicago - snail-mail
Mayer Brown Chicago - email
McDermott Chicago - email
Morris Nichols - snail mail
MoFo SF
MoFo - email
Nutter Boston
O'Melvney - email
Paul Weiss
Shearman - email
Weil DC
WilmerHale DC
WilmerHale Boston

Not Sure
Proctor & Gamble (request to fill out online form)
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273256
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:More than 10 weeks to convince them you are worth extending extending a full time offer. And not to say every firm hooks their law clerks up, but I know for instance a friend who was offered $75k/year + full ride scholarship for a law clerk position. I suppose the path of least resistance is the quick and dirty 10 weeks though, Lol

That is kind of apples/oranges.

Firm hiring is built around the SA program. It would be the EXTREME exception as you have it listed, outside of working as a patent agent / tech spec. These are not even the same avenues though, and putting them in the same application and cover letter for a SA position probably made you go straight to the round file.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273256
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:40 pm

Thanks for that list ^

What is the longest a firm goes without CB - I am assuming if we haven't heard yet, we should expect a snail mail ding?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273256
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for that list ^

What is the longest a firm goes without CB - I am assuming if we haven't heard yet, we should expect a snail mail ding?

No, they are all different. I heard back from one firm almost 3 months during 1L. Unless you know they've given out CBs/offers then don't worry about it. Even then, you still aren't out, you're just not in the first round.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273256
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:59 pm

Morris Nichols ding- snail mail

Anonymous User
Posts: 273256
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:More than 10 weeks to convince them you are worth extending extending a full time offer. And not to say every firm hooks their law clerks up, but I know for instance a friend who was offered $75k/year + full ride scholarship for a law clerk position. I suppose the path of least resistance is the quick and dirty 10 weeks though, Lol

That is kind of apples/oranges.

Firm hiring is built around the SA program. It would be the EXTREME exception as you have it listed, outside of working as a patent agent / tech spec. These are not even the same avenues though, and putting them in the same application and cover letter for a SA position probably made you go straight to the round file.


Dude I clerked for a biglaw firm that also had an SA program and I got the shaft treatment through and through, despite having credentials on-par with many of the SAs. It was my crap luck to be stuck at a satellite office that had no real communication or clout with the main office. I ended up leaving over it.

Edit: To clarify, I started clerking as a 1L and continued throughout my 2nd year/summer. I tried to transition over to the SA program but for whatever reason it did not happen, despite my attempts to do so. They really didn't have any internal machinery in place to transition "law clerk" to "summer associate" and I got shit on.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273256
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:32 pm

For those who interviewed with P&G, do you mind sharing how you prepped for the interview/what questions you were asked? I have an in house interview with another company and I am a little unsure of how to prepare myself because I've only done firm interviews up till now. Thanks.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273256
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:34 pm

Thanks for the list above.

To add to it: CBs from Kaye Scholer (day after screener); Cadwalader (Monday after Loyola); Goodwin NYC (end of last week)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273256
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For those who interviewed with P&G, do you mind sharing how you prepped for the interview/what questions you were asked? I have an in house interview with another company and I am a little unsure of how to prepare myself because I've only done firm interviews up till now. Thanks.


They asked behavior questions such as tell me an occasion when faced an obstical and over came, or tell me your greatest weakness. If you have other employment on your resume, they might ask you what you learned from the job. Typical business school interviews.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273256
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For those who interviewed with P&G, do you mind sharing how you prepped for the interview/what questions you were asked? I have an in house interview with another company and I am a little unsure of how to prepare myself because I've only done firm interviews up till now. Thanks.


They asked behavior questions such as tell me an occasion when faced an obstical and over came, or tell me your greatest weakness. If you have other employment on your resume, they might ask you what you learned from the job. Typical business school interviews.


Thank you. This is very much appreciated. I was getting the impression that corporate interviews might be a little more stressful than firm interviews.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273256
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:50 am

To clarify your list:

CB:

Akin Gump (DC)
McDermott (Any and all - they really didn't care)
Mayer Brown (DC)
Kenyon & Kenyon (NY but could be for other places)
Perkins Coie (Seattle)
Knobbe (OC)
Lowenstein (Palo Alto)
Proskauer (Boston)
Jones Day (DC)
White & Case (DC)
Finnegan (DC)

Dings:

WilmerHale (Boston)
Foley (Like everyone else)
O'Melveny (Who cares)
Nutter (Boston)
Hogan Lovels (DC)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273256
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:00 pm

So I went to Marshall Gerstein's HS during PLIP to drop off my resume and told them I bid on them for my school's OCI. They decided they were not coming to the OCI, but today, I received an email saying they would like to "invite you to our office in Chicago to meet with members of our firm." Screener? Callback?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.