Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:10 pm

Kenyon CB by Phone

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:15 pm

Anyone hear back from Honigman?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Kenyon CB by Phone


Congratulations! Office?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Kenyon CB by Phone


Same here.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:50 pm

Has anyone heard from Covington (CA) offices?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Kenyon CB by Phone


Congratulations! Office?


Thank you! The NY office

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:50 pm

As a 3L, if you're sitting on an offer from your SA firm, what level of follow-up persistence is appropriate with firms you're waiting for CBs on? I told them during my pre-select interviews I had an offer, but I was very interested in a position with the interviewing firms (I desperately need a change of scenery...)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:07 pm

Kenyon CB from the DC office. Call came from NY though.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Top 5%ish, T10, EE/CS

Callbacks
Fish NY
WilmerHale NY
Kirkland NY
Ropes NY
Fitzpatrick NY
Paul Hastings NY
Desmarais NY
Finnegan DC
Covington DC
Sterne Kessler DC
McDermott DC
Goodwin Boston
Sidley PA
Cooley PA

Dings
Cadwalader NY
MoFo SF (prosecution)

Obviously I've been really lucky so far. I'm going to start declining some of these so hopefully more of you will be hearing from these firms.


Updating:

Callbacks
Kenyon NY
Baker Botts NY
Latham NY
Crowell DC
Wilmer Boston

I've now declined several for (obvious) scheduling reasons more than anything else.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've now declined several for (obvious) scheduling reasons more than anything else.

Which ones have you declined... Give us some hope :wink:

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:46 pm

As expected, MoFo ding via email.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:49 pm

Foley & Lardner (BIO) -- Boston & DC Office -- CB via Email.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:01 pm

Anonymous wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Top 5%ish, T10, EE/CS

Callbacks
Fish NY
WilmerHale NY
Kirkland NY
Ropes NY
Fitzpatrick NY
Paul Hastings NY
Desmarais NY
Finnegan DC
Covington DC
Sterne Kessler DC
McDermott DC
Goodwin Boston
Sidley PA
Cooley PA

Dings
Cadwalader NY
MoFo SF (prosecution)

Obviously I've been really lucky so far. I'm going to start declining some of these so hopefully more of you will be hearing from these firms.


Updating:

Callbacks
Kenyon NY
Baker Botts NY
Latham NY
Crowell DC
Wilmer Boston

I've now declined several for (obvious) scheduling reasons more than anything else.

With your creds, you're almost deserving of some kind of signing bonus. Have you done any CBs yet? Firms must be fawning. My creds are good as well (not quite your level) and some interviewers straight up told me I should plan on choosing between a multitude of options.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I've now declined several for (obvious) scheduling reasons more than anything else.

Which ones have you declined... Give us some hope :wink:

I don't want to post it because I think it might out me. I'm happy to PM you though.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:With your creds, you're almost deserving of some kind of signing bonus. Have you done any CBs yet? Firms must be fawning. My creds are good as well (not quite your level) and some interviewers straight up told me I should plan on choosing between a multitude of options.

Haha thanks. Not quite ballsy enough to pull that move. If I'd known I would have come to law school sooner, though then again I might not have gotten in here with my UGPA a few cycles ago.

Haven't done a callback yet.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:With your creds, you're almost deserving of some kind of signing bonus. Have you done any CBs yet? Firms must be fawning. My creds are good as well (not quite your level) and some interviewers straight up told me I should plan on choosing between a multitude of options.

Haha thanks. Not quite ballsy enough to pull that move. If I'd known I would have come to law school sooner, though then again I might not have gotten in here with my UGPA a few cycles ago.

Haven't done a callback yet.

Desmarais pays 180 plus a nice bonus. You think that's worth it vs going to a more credible shop?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:24 pm

I have heard that a firm I was really interested in has starting giving CBs, but I haven't been dinged yet (although others have)

Is there a point when you can do something to express interest other than just waiting?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:With your creds, you're almost deserving of some kind of signing bonus. Have you done any CBs yet? Firms must be fawning. My creds are good as well (not quite your level) and some interviewers straight up told me I should plan on choosing between a multitude of options.

Haha thanks. Not quite ballsy enough to pull that move. If I'd known I would have come to law school sooner, though then again I might not have gotten in here with my UGPA a few cycles ago.

Haven't done a callback yet.

Desmarais pays 180 plus a nice bonus. You think that's worth it vs going to a more credible shop?

I dunno. I liked the Desmarais interviewers a lot, their recruiter was awesome, and I don't think they have a credibility problem since every New York IP litigator must know who Desmarais is. I was a little concerned with the quality of work they get, but they have some huge clients and do more defense than I thought. And honestly-- and I'm anonymous so I can actually be honest about this-- I don't really care that much about the money past a certain point; the subjective feel matters a lot more, and I got a good vibe from them.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:As expected, MoFo ding via email.

Again, as expected, Desmarais ding via snail. Mid-Atlantic.

Edit: oh, and throw in a mass mailed Jones Day email ding today as well
Edit 2: and a mass mailed Shearman ding via email yesterday

OCI here we come! Haha

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:I dunno. I liked the Desmarais interviewers a lot, their recruiter was awesome, and I don't think they have a credibility problem since every New York IP litigator must know who Desmarais is. I was a little concerned with the quality of work they get, but they have some huge clients and do more defense than I thought. And honestly-- and I'm anonymous so I can actually be honest about this-- I don't really care that much about the money past a certain point; the subjective feel matters a lot more, and I got a good vibe from them.

Yeah there is a bunch of awfully incorrect information about the firm on TLS.

Also, I got the same vibe. I've met almost half their office at this point and really liked every single one. One interviewer asked really interesting questions that gave me the sense he was looking for someone that he could have an intellectual conversation with beyond the more routine senior/junior interactions.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:40 pm

LW (chi) ding. Snail-mail. Very nice letter. Always appreciated the NY market's responsiveness.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I typically think that you shouldn't read too much positivity in to screeners. They have already committed the day, most times they will fill the docket even if there are only a few real strong candidates they think will go to the next level. If you get a CB then its much more meaningful. That is typically a very costly interview (attorney time, travel) and most* people will be less concerned with stats and more about making sure you'll be a good fit.

I would second this. So far I am getting slaughtered on the screener to CB ratios. 4/22, although I am hoping that it is still early enough that I might pick up a couple more. I think my resume is impressive enough to make me a worthwhile gap filler for the sake of interesting conversation, but not necessarily a "must grab." Maybe I am doing something wrong in the interviews, but I've always felt I was a decent enough interviewer. Plus the callbacks I have secured have been with some big names. So far nothing from the market I was predominantly targeting though so maybe my reasons for wanting to be there weren't quite compelling enough.

Does that CB/Screener ratio of 4/22 mean you got 18 actual dings, or does the 18 include those still waiting for an answer? Seems like your total screener count includes some firs/offeices that probably have small class sizes and therefore, you might have been bumped by a T14 with a 4.0GPA. I mean, how could you score so high on the initial preselect, and then get killed once they actually met you? (I'm assuming that, before the interview, you combed your hair, blew your nose, checked your breath).
Also, by the way, what markets dinged you?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:26 am

Those that got a Frommer callback - what was the timeframe between your screening interview and your callback notification?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I typically think that you shouldn't read too much positivity in to screeners. They have already committed the day, most times they will fill the docket even if there are only a few real strong candidates they think will go to the next level. If you get a CB then its much more meaningful. That is typically a very costly interview (attorney time, travel) and most* people will be less concerned with stats and more about making sure you'll be a good fit.

I would second this. So far I am getting slaughtered on the screener to CB ratios. 4/22, although I am hoping that it is still early enough that I might pick up a couple more. I think my resume is impressive enough to make me a worthwhile gap filler for the sake of interesting conversation, but not necessarily a "must grab." Maybe I am doing something wrong in the interviews, but I've always felt I was a decent enough interviewer. Plus the callbacks I have secured have been with some big names. So far nothing from the market I was predominantly targeting though so maybe my reasons for wanting to be there weren't quite compelling enough.

Does that CB/Screener ratio of 4/22 mean you got 18 actual dings, or does the 18 include those still waiting for an answer? Seems like your total screener count includes some firs/offeices that probably have small class sizes and therefore, you might have been bumped by a T14 with a 4.0GPA. I mean, how could you score so high on the initial preselect, and then get killed once they actually met you? (I'm assuming that, before the interview, you combed your hair, blew your nose, checked your breath).
Also, by the way, what markets dinged you?

No, not 18 dings. Only 4 actual dings, but haven't been back to my house yet so I'm assuming snail mails are on the way/there. I did pick up 2 more CBs with my two top choices actually, so I'm pretty excited. Bid mostly on Texas firms.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does that CB/Screener ratio of 4/22 mean you got 18 actual dings, or does the 18 include those still waiting for an answer? Seems like your total screener count includes some firs/offeices that probably have small class sizes and therefore, you might have been bumped by a T14 with a 4.0GPA. I mean, how could you score so high on the initial preselect, and then get killed once they actually met you? (I'm assuming that, before the interview, you combed your hair, blew your nose, checked your breath).
Also, by the way, what markets dinged you?

No, not 18 dings. Only 4 actual dings, but haven't been back to my house yet so I'm assuming snail mails are on the way/there. I did pick up 2 more CBs with my two top choices actually, so I'm pretty excited. Bid mostly on Texas firms.

Oh, okay. Then it's a whole lot better, b/c my position is that you're still alive until your've got the official ding message. Good luck. Texas forever !!




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.