Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013 Thread..calling PLIP Allstars for their exp

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:18 pm

I'm a 1L at an east coast T14 and am interested in patent lit or pros, not sure yet, though I'll be doing litigation this summer and that will hopefully give me some idea. My background is in EE/CS and I worked on the West Coast for a few years, but I think I would prefer to stay out east, preferably in New York but maybe in DC. Does that make any sense at all for someone with my background? Should I bid on NY/DC offices of national firms?

target
Posts: 688
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:40 pm

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013 Thread..calling PLIP Allstars for their exp

Postby target » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a 1L at an east coast T14 and am interested in patent lit or pros, not sure yet, though I'll be doing litigation this summer and that will hopefully give me some idea. My background is in EE/CS and I worked on the West Coast for a few years, but I think I would prefer to stay out east, preferably in New York but maybe in DC. Does that make any sense at all for someone with my background? Should I bid on NY/DC offices of national firms?


You should also bid on a few west coast firms/offices.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013 Thread..calling PLIP Allstars for their exp

Postby r6_philly » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:28 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
chesterfan1230 wrote:1L. Accounting / Business background and 10 Credits of University Physics. Would need about 1.5 Semesters of sciences to be patent bar eligible.

MVP Top 1/4

I registered, but do I have a chance? Or Am I jut wasting my time. I have a free airline ticket in case I get an interview.


Aim for litigation and sell your love of patent law.


Or get an offer at a firm through OCI and request a rotation in the IP group.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013 Thread..calling PLIP Allstars for their exp

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Tangentially PLIP related:

Should I send LoCI today/this week to GWU (transfer EA app) making it clear that I want to be at GW and that I will be bidding for the PLIP OCI? I have sent an LoCI email 3 weeks ago but am not sure if a 2d email reiterating my interest is necessary. They have not sent decisions yet...

I want to be able to put GW on the résumé for PLIP since my 1L is not as highly ranked...plz help!


Bumping for guidance... Is 2 LoCI in this situation too much? I have heard that employability plays a factor in decisions but am not sure if this is the right thing to do here

Thanks again!

kyle010723
Posts: 1135
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:55 pm

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013 Thread..calling PLIP Allstars for their exp

Postby kyle010723 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:58 pm

For firms that break down their bids by Pro and Lit. Is is acceptable to bid on both? Or does that just look indecisive?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013 Thread..calling PLIP Allstars for their exp

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:05 pm

Can anyone speak to getting interviews/CBs/offers at out of market firms from regional T1?

Top 5% at regional T1 (Fall semester grades only so just estimating)
B.S. Chem
1L SA at NYC/Chi/DC IP boutique
5+ yrs as chemist at BigPharma

With a few exceptions, I'm tempted to NOT bid my school's market firms at PLIP because I am fairly certain I will get screeners with them at my school's OCI.

kyle010723
Posts: 1135
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:55 pm

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013 Thread..calling PLIP Allstars for their exp

Postby kyle010723 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone speak to getting interviews/CBs/offers at out of market firms from regional T1?

Top 5% at regional T1 (Fall semester grades only so just estimating)
B.S. Chem
1L SA at NYC/Chi/DC IP boutique
5+ yrs as chemist at BigPharma

With a few exceptions, I'm tempted to NOT bid my school's market firms at PLIP because I am fairly certain I will get screeners with them at my school's OCI.


I haven't been through Loyola yet since I'm a 1L, but my friend that did it last year told me the biggest mistake he made was spread his bids across different markets. He said employers placed a TON of emphasis on why you want a specific market. So you want to only bid on markets where you can sell and sell hard to employers that you will be willing to live there forever. If you cannot sell why you want that market, dont bid on it.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013 Thread..calling PLIP Allstars for their exp

Postby r6_philly » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:47 am

kyle010723 wrote:
I haven't been through Loyola yet since I'm a 1L, but my friend that did it last year told me the biggest mistake he made was spread his bids across different markets. He said employers placed a TON of emphasis on why you want a specific market. So you want to only bid on markets where you can sell and sell hard to employers that you will be willing to live there forever. If you cannot sell why you want that market, dont bid on it.


Sorry for your friend, but I did not have this problem. Depends on how competitive you are otherwise.

kyle010723
Posts: 1135
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:55 pm

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013 Thread..calling PLIP Allstars for their exp

Postby kyle010723 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:37 am

r6_philly wrote:Sorry for your friend, but I did not have this problem. Depends on how competitive you are otherwise.


heh, he's doing just fine. But that's good to know. I'm just relaying what I was told.

Aureusmons
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:29 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013 Thread..calling PLIP Allstars for their exp

Postby Aureusmons » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:42 am

...
...
Last edited by Aureusmons on Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Agent
Posts: 340
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:03 pm

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013 Thread..calling PLIP Allstars for their exp

Postby Agent » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:16 am

List the job without describing what you'll be doing. If anything, consider writing "(offer accepted)" or something like that next to the expected months of employment.

Aureusmons wrote:Hey everyone, thanks for all the great advice.
I've got a question as I put together my bidding resume:
How do I describe my upcoming summer 2013 internship? At this point, I have only a faint idea of what I'll be doing there this summer, so how do I list and describe this in the resume I'm submitting with my bids now?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013 Thread..calling PLIP Allstars for their exp

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:41 am

Aureusmons wrote:Hey everyone, thanks for all the great advice.
I've got a question as I put together my bidding resume:
How do I describe my upcoming summer 2013 internship? At this point, I have only a faint idea of what I'll be doing there this summer, so how do I list and describe this in the resume I'm submitting with my bids now?

yeah, i just wrote ... Judge Abracadabra, Court of XYZ... Judicial Intern... Summer 2013 ... city, state (in conformity w/ my resume) i did not put anything else (even though the judge told me what i'd be doing)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013 Thread..calling PLIP Allstars for their exp

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:53 am

quick question. I'm a 1L at Boalt and we don't have GPA or rank. Since PLIP is all pre-select, is there any disadvantage to not having a grades section on my resume? And if there is, is there any way to deal with that?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013 Thread..calling PLIP Allstars for their exp

Postby r6_philly » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:quick question. I'm a 1L at Boalt and we don't have GPA or rank. Since PLIP is all pre-select, is there any disadvantage to not having a grades section on my resume? And if there is, is there any way to deal with that?

It's a huge advantage if your grades are not great. Put on there "school does not rank or provide GPA." If your grades are great no matter because you are at Boalt won't hurt you.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013 Thread..calling PLIP Allstars for their exp

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:28 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:quick question. I'm a 1L at Boalt and we don't have GPA or rank. Since PLIP is all pre-select, is there any disadvantage to not having a grades section on my resume? And if there is, is there any way to deal with that?

It's a huge advantage if your grades are not great. Put on there "school does not rank or provide GPA." If your grades are great no matter because you are at Boalt won't hurt you.


same anon. unfortunately i have pretty good grades. it'd be kinda dick-ish just to list the grades, huh? only reason im kind of worried is bc grades are probably my strongest credential right now. it looks like there's a lot of competition given how strong everyone's tech background is

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013 Thread..calling PLIP Allstars for their exp

Postby 09042014 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:57 pm

I'd talk to your career services.

User avatar
magicbunny
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 11:29 pm

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013 Thread..calling PLIP Allstars for their exp

Postby magicbunny » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:52 pm

After I glanced through the firm list I feel I'm not qualified for anything... B.S. in chem, no work experience, Top 25% at T15-18, bad writing grade (which is very bad news for litigation). Any advice on bidding strategy will be greatly appreciated!

Agent
Posts: 340
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:03 pm

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013 Thread..calling PLIP Allstars for their exp

Postby Agent » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:50 pm

Honestly, I think you're in decent shape for markets where you have ties.

magicbunny wrote:After I glanced through the firm list I feel I'm not qualified for anything... B.S. in chem, no work experience, Top 25% at T15-18, bad writing grade (which is very bad news for litigation). Any advice on bidding strategy will be greatly appreciated!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013 Thread..calling PLIP Allstars for their exp

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:26 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:is DC difficult to land if I am looking for IP lit only and am not patbar eligible? it is my home town.
should i bid NYC/ Chicago / or the SF region as well... they are places i would not mind working but i prefer DC.

basically, IP lit is my only route and i dont want bid myself out of an interview chance...

any thoughts would be much appreciated!


I dunno, there are plenty of firms, but plenty of competition. What specialty do you think you can sell yourself as? What towns do you have ties to.

I wouldn't bother bidding chicago unless you have good ties. Silicon Valley is a good idea if you can sell yourself as CS.


i was a systems admin and malware analyst before LS and have a good enough resume to show an interest in technology and technology processes (i am not a computer genius though)... i am down for california (SO is down for that too) but i lack the bio/chem/ hard science degree.

i just want options.... i currently attend a low ranked school and am praying to sweet baby jesus that GW sends me an EA acceptance, otherwise i am royally fucked because i am not sure if i can even get an interview from where i currently go....

i am; however, down for the ground game... and have no problem attending PILP and just resume dropping (with a summer acceptance somewhere) even without an interview on my plate.


I'd aim DC and Cal.

IM the anon above:

just wondering ...

I am waiting on GW to send a decision on my Transfer EA application... and to my surprise WUSTL just accepted me as a transfer :mrgreen:
I go to a low ranked school and I am shocked. That said, will putting WUSTL on my resume for purposes of bidding for PLIP help me (does WUSTL get good cred in the IP legal community)? the bidding deadline is May 2 and i will just chill for now; however, i am fairly certain i will get zero interviews out of my 1L school.... obvs. WUSTL > my current school.

ill be bidding on DC and CA (Palo Alto/ SF) BUT is it wise to bid Chi/ or NY as well with any extra bids i have left?... i want to use all 32 bids.

kyle010723
Posts: 1135
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:55 pm

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013 Thread..calling PLIP Allstars for their exp

Postby kyle010723 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:IM the anon above:

just wondering ...

I am waiting on GW to send a decision on my Transfer EA application... and to my surprise WUSTL just accepted me as a transfer :mrgreen:
I go to a low ranked school and I am shocked. That said, will putting WUSTL on my resume for purposes of bidding for PLIP help me (does WUSTL get good cred in the IP legal community)? the bidding deadline is May 2 and i will just chill for now; however, i am fairly certain i will get zero interviews out of my 1L school.... obvs. WUSTL > my current school.

ill be bidding on DC and CA (Palo Alto/ SF) BUT is it wise to bid Chi/ or NY as well with any extra bids i have left?... i want to use all 32 bids.


I'm not sure how much pull WUSTL has in CA, is your current school in any of the market you mentioned?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013 Thread..calling PLIP Allstars for their exp

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:15 am

kyle010723 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:IM the anon above:

just wondering ...

I am waiting on GW to send a decision on my Transfer EA application... and to my surprise WUSTL just accepted me as a transfer :mrgreen:
I go to a low ranked school and I am shocked. That said, will putting WUSTL on my resume for purposes of bidding for PLIP help me (does WUSTL get good cred in the IP legal community)? the bidding deadline is May 2 and i will just chill for now; however, i am fairly certain i will get zero interviews out of my 1L school.... obvs. WUSTL > my current school.

ill be bidding on DC and CA (Palo Alto/ SF) BUT is it wise to bid Chi/ or NY as well with any extra bids i have left?... i want to use all 32 bids.


I'm not sure how much pull WUSTL has in CA, is your current school in any of the market you mentioned?

no, current school in neither market. do you think the pull WUSTL has in CA is stronger (or different) b/c this is PLIP and not a regular OCI @ their campus?

my gut reaction is WUSTL has minimal CA pull but am not sure how the whole PLIP factor (if there is such a thing) can increase it...

kyle010723
Posts: 1135
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:55 pm

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013 Thread..calling PLIP Allstars for their exp

Postby kyle010723 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:no, current school in neither market. do you think the pull WUSTL has in CA is stronger (or different) b/c this is PLIP and not a regular OCI @ their campus?

my gut reaction is WUSTL has minimal CA pull but am not sure how the whole PLIP factor (if there is such a thing) can increase it...


Do you have any tie to any of the market you want? If not, you're fighting an uphill battle from an out-of-market school regardless (T14 excluded).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273183
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013 Thread..calling PLIP Allstars for their exp

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:56 am

kyle010723 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:no, current school in neither market. do you think the pull WUSTL has in CA is stronger (or different) b/c this is PLIP and not a regular OCI @ their campus?

my gut reaction is WUSTL has minimal CA pull but am not sure how the whole PLIP factor (if there is such a thing) can increase it...


Do you have any tie to any of the market you want? If not, you're fighting an uphill battle from an out-of-market school regardless (T14 excluded).

yes, hometown is DC... i have family and friends in CA so i can swing ties their too. i figured it will be an uphill battle and i am ready for it. (as you will see below, my predicament is interesting)

hopefully, GW sends acceptance soon so I can put that on my resume before I submit my bids... also, i am deferred EA @ GULC and it would be killer (T14) if accepted... but I would not know until the summer time, after I have bid....that leads to this question: if the off chance that GULC accepts me after I have submitted bids, and if i get an interview(s), would it look bad to show up w/ a different transfer school on the resume?

my goal here is to just have options... if i get an interview @ PLIP i still plan on creating resume/ CV packets for for other firms that i did not get interviews with and drop it off at their suites to let them know i am still interested and available to interview if someone cancels.

i appreciate your help!

bigredforlaw
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:57 pm

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013 Thread..calling PLIP Allstars for their exp

Postby bigredforlaw » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
kyle010723 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:no, current school in neither market. do you think the pull WUSTL has in CA is stronger (or different) b/c this is PLIP and not a regular OCI @ their campus?

my gut reaction is WUSTL has minimal CA pull but am not sure how the whole PLIP factor (if there is such a thing) can increase it...


Do you have any tie to any of the market you want? If not, you're fighting an uphill battle from an out-of-market school regardless (T14 excluded).

yes, hometown is DC... i have family and friends in CA so i can swing ties their too. i figured it will be an uphill battle and i am ready for it. (as you will see below, my predicament is interesting)

hopefully, GW sends acceptance soon so I can put that on my resume before I submit my bids... also, i am deferred EA @ GULC and it would be killer (T14) if accepted... but I would not know until the summer time, after I have bid....that leads to this question: if the off chance that GULC accepts me after I have submitted bids, and if i get an interview(s), would it look bad to show up w/ a different transfer school on the resume?

my goal here is to just have options... if i get an interview @ PLIP i still plan on creating resume/ CV packets for for other firms that i did not get interviews with and drop it off at their suites to let them know i am still interested and available to interview if someone cancels.

i appreciate your help!


I really don't think it'll look "bad" if you switch transfer schools by the time interviews come around. I have a friend who did something similar when she transferred from American. She was going to GW then last minute (like literally day before school started) got in at GULC. She already had screeners with GW on her resume and just let the firms know before her callbacks. She couldn't continue with screeners from GW, but the firms that invited her back didn't care. I would, however, learn how to use the correct form of "there" before you make your resume packets.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13915
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013 Thread..calling PLIP Allstars for their exp

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:30 pm

Assholes scheduled PLIP on WEEKDAYS of my second-to-last week of work in Portland, so I won't be making the trip to Chicago.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.