Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ClubberLang

Bronze

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

Post by ClubberLang » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did anyone here do SIPJF?

I had 10 screeners, one CB so far. Curious what firms are calling already vs waiting until after PLIP?
PM me and I'll share my details.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:30 pm

So that was a strange two days. It looked like a surreal movie with all the suits sitting in chairs facing down the halls. They should have put the chairs facing the walls.

So I got 2 or 3 CB during the interviews, and 2 CB in my mailbox at 10 AM this morning. Some do committees so it will be a week to find out.

O'Melveny - that guy was horrible. I just crossed them off when I walked out of the room. I should have just walked out sooner.

Made the mistake of saying Lit to a pros only firm. Yeah, why even ask the question if that is all you do? Had my notes on the wrong page. Oh well.

bamasplitter

New

Post by bamasplitter » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:48 pm

ClubberLang wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Did anyone here do SIPJF?

I had 10 screeners, one CB so far. Curious what firms are calling already vs waiting until after PLIP?
PM me and I'll share my details.
Same.

bierchen

New

Post by bierchen » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:20 pm

That the hell is that thing Mayer Brown was handing out?

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So that was a strange two days. It looked like a surreal movie with all the suits sitting in chairs facing down the halls. They should have put the chairs facing the walls.

So I got 2 or 3 CB during the interviews, and 2 CB in my mailbox at 10 AM this morning. Some do committees so it will be a week to find out.

O'Melveny - that guy was horrible. I just crossed them off when I walked out of the room. I should have just walked out sooner.

Made the mistake of saying Lit to a pros only firm. Yeah, why even ask the question if that is all you do? Had my notes on the wrong page. Oh well.
You got 3 CB on the spot? This is making me worry about how my interviews went...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:O'Melveny - that guy was horrible. I just crossed them off when I walked out of the room. I should have just walked out sooner.
Seconding this.

Desmarais asked me about having ties to New York, which struck me as strange. Not exactly the sort of small market that you need a personal connection to.

Not sure who wins for most absurd handout of the day. Frommer Lawrence Haug had big tote bag things that seem designed to be a walking billboard of your interview with them, but Crowell had foam squeezable rubber duckies for stress relief. I barely resisted the urge to take it out during a bad screener later on.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:50 pm

Story time...

I was scheduled for a 9:55 interview with an associate and two partners from Quinn Emanuel. I arrived at 9:40, and sat on the chair until 9:54 at which time I knocked on the door. Three minutes later I knocked again, and this time their associate answered (concerned look on his face) and explained that the two partners had not yet arrived. He then went to peek over the balcony to see if they were down below.... and the door closed/locked behind him. After the color drained from his face, he explained had to run down to the lobby to find the others / get a new key. The three arrived together at 10:10, leaving me ~4 minutes by the time we got into the room and sat down. Rather than apologizing or offering to reschedule, the two partners decided the time was better spent bashing my SA (patent lit with a large tech company) in an incredibly unprofessional manner. Needless to say, every bit of my bias against Quinn has been absolutely confirmed. I have no interest in speaking with them again.

9 cb's thus far, feeling very good about several other screeners. :D

HellOnHeels

Silver

Post by HellOnHeels » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:51 pm

Jsa725 wrote:Did anyone else cop more than 8gb of storage :mrgreen:
I only took one jump drive. Now highlighters.... those are a different story! 8) 8)

HellOnHeels

Silver

Post by HellOnHeels » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:54 pm

kyle010723 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So that was a strange two days. It looked like a surreal movie with all the suits sitting in chairs facing down the halls. They should have put the chairs facing the walls.

You got 3 CB on the spot? This is making me worry about how my interviews went...
same :|

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:9 cb's thus far, feeling very good about several other screeners. :D
I guess I might as well give up now...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:07 pm

kyle010723 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:9 cb's thus far, feeling very good about several other screeners. :D
Anon from above... Absolutely not an indication of anything. I am going to be on that side of the country for another 10 days or so, and most places sped things up to accommodate. Keep your head up and keep plugging away!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Story time...

I was scheduled for a 9:55 interview with an associate and two partners from Quinn Emanuel. I arrived at 9:40, and sat on the chair until 9:54 at which time I knocked on the door. Three minutes later I knocked again, and this time their associate answered (concerned look on his face) and explained that the two partners had not yet arrived. He then went to peek over the balcony to see if they were down below.... and the door closed/locked behind him. After the color drained from his face, he explained had to run down to the lobby to find the others / get a new key. The three arrived together at 10:10, leaving me ~4 minutes by the time we got into the room and sat down. Rather than apologizing or offering to reschedule, the two partners decided the time was better spent bashing my SA (patent lit with a large tech company) in an incredibly unprofessional manner. Needless to say, every bit of my bias against Quinn has been absolutely confirmed. I have no interest in speaking with them again.

9 cb's thus far, feeling very good about several other screeners. :D
I experienced similar bashing when I did my Quinn CB. Really unprofessional. It's like everyone has small man syndrome over there.

MarcZero

Bronze

Post by MarcZero » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:11 am

Was anyone else surprised by the number of slots that were left empty after no alternates showed up? It may have been bad form, but I ended up poaching an interview that I noticed went unfulfilled at the cattle call in the morning today. I showed up when I knew they had the empty slot, and offered to give them a resume. They gave me the slot since their other person wasn't there.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:14 am

I sat next to someone on Thursday who had a sheet of 20+ interviews and who was on the phone bragging to their friend about how they just accepted a job, but that PLIP would at least be good interview practice. Seemed kind of tacky, but what do I know?

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:18 am

MarcZero wrote:Was anyone else surprised by the number of slots that were left empty after no alternates showed up? It may have been bad form, but I ended up poaching an interview that I noticed went unfulfilled at the cattle call in the morning today. I showed up when I knew they had the empty slot, and offered to give them a resume. They gave me the slot since their other person wasn't there.
That is brilliant. It seems that the cattle call firms were always the same for the most part, I think Sughrue was the big winner/loser today.

Nammertat

Silver

Post by Nammertat » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:I sat next to someone on Thursday who had a sheet of 20+ interviews and who was on the phone bragging to their friend about how they just accepted a job, but that PLIP would at least be good interview practice. Seemed kind of tacky, but what do I know?
WOW... That is extremely low brow. Wastes the employers' time, takes an opportunity away from someone else who very well may need it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:27 am

Desmarais did not grill me on the NYC location... Have no clue as to whether he/they liked me or not... He did, however, basically ask me to recite some of the cases I researched during my judicial internship and then asked me to go into details about what the appellant and appellee argued (hint: didn't see that curve ball)

Nammertat: Were you at the A&B hosp. suite @ ~9:35ish this morning?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:57 am

Anybody have thoughts/updates about Latham? I thought the interview went pretty well yesterday (thurs) so I'm sort of bummed that I didn't hear anything today. God I hate waiting.

MarcZero

Bronze

Post by MarcZero » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:21 am

At first I was like....

http://i.imgur.com/bMFZKBN.jpg

But then I was like....

http://i.imgur.com/ikdUwV3.jpg

Nammertat

Silver

Post by Nammertat » Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:Desmarais did not grill me on the NYC location... Have no clue as to whether he/they liked me or not... He did, however, basically ask me to recite some of the cases I researched during my judicial internship and then asked me to go into details about what the appellant and appellee argued (hint: didn't see that curve ball)

Nammertat: Were you at the A&B hosp. suite @ ~9:35ish this morning?
LOL Perhaps I was?!?! PM and explain how I was that easily outed :D

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:18 am

Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:48 am

Any 3L luck so far? Callbacks?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:
kyle010723 wrote:
Anon from above... Absolutely not an indication of anything. I am going to be on that side of the country for another 10 days or so, and most places sped things up to accommodate. Keep your head up and keep plugging away!
Yea, I wouldn't worry about it. Pretty sure I met the person w 9 cb's already as I was talking to somebody who received one while we were chatting. This person is very well qualified. The mere mortals among us will probably have to wait a while.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any 3L luck so far? Callbacks?
Wondering about this as well. Not sure if 3L callbacks are given out on different (later) timelines than 2Ls.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:24 pm

Apparently at least one firm is making CB offers over the weekend -- IP group of a large GP firm in the NY office.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”