Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
kyle010723

Silver

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013 Thread: ITT we BS until interviews are sent

Post by kyle010723 » Wed May 08, 2013 2:57 pm

I used the free bids. Those firms might wonder why you did not bid on them at the first place. But I do not think it can really hurt since they are the one looking for more applicants.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 08, 2013 3:41 pm

Got a questions here. At my school, OCI follows a lottery system, meaning an average 12-18 screeners. the preselecting is applied at the callback stage.
Here, at PLIP, preselection is done NOW,, meaning that we've qualified and that the screening interview is just to determine whether or not the candidate is a dick..
. Does that translate to a higher CB ratio?

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Wed May 08, 2013 3:45 pm

From my understanding, regular OCI process is: Pre-select --> Screener --> Callback.

People usually have several screeners, but only a few firms may give you a callback

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 08, 2013 4:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got a questions here. At my school, OCI follows a lottery system, meaning an average 12-18 screeners. the preselecting is applied at the callback stage.
Here, at PLIP, preselection is done NOW,, meaning that we've qualified and that the screening interview is just to determine whether or not the candidate is a dick..
Not likely. Screener gauges whether you're a functional human being (and to a minor extent, fit) while callback gauges actual fit with the firm/office/practice group.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 08, 2013 4:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got a questions here. At my school, OCI follows a lottery system, meaning an average 12-18 screeners. the preselecting is applied at the callback stage.
Not likely. Screener gauges whether you're a functional human being (and to a minor extent, fit) while callback gauges actual fit with the firm/office/practice group.
My point is, isn't PLIP pretty much like one big resume drop, and where firms get to select based on GPA, majors, etc.? that means that if your resume is pulled, the firm has decided to give you with your stats (GPA, major) a shot. In a lottery system, however, the firms didn't select you....... could could bid on a V10 even if your GPA is sub-3.0...... the firm dings you afterward based on the low GPA.
Conclusion is..... once you're preselected, your stats on paper won't be fatal so long as you're a decent fit.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Agent

Bronze

Post by Agent » Thu May 09, 2013 1:27 am

They preselect before seeing your spring grades.
Anonymous User wrote:Conclusion is..... once you're preselected, your stats on paper won't be fatal so long as you're a decent fit.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 09, 2013 10:58 am

That's true.... but they do see your first semester. I guess I should have qualified my last statement to "wont be fatal, so long as your GPA after second semester is equal or higher).

Agent

Bronze

Post by Agent » Thu May 09, 2013 11:20 am

What if they have a big stack of resumes and everyone else's GPA goes up? Or if they expected you to make law review and you failed? Or if they view preselects as people still in the running as they decide where to draw the line, and then they draw it somewhere above you?

I kid, but you get the point.
Anonymous User wrote:That's true.... but they do see your first semester. I guess I should have qualified my last statement to "wont be fatal, so long as your GPA after second semester is equal or higher).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 09, 2013 11:47 am

Agent wrote:What if they have a big stack of resumes and everyone else's GPA goes up? Or if they expected you to make law review and you failed? Or if they view preselects as people still in the running as they decide where to draw the line, and then they draw it somewhere above you?

I kid, but you get the point.
Anonymous User wrote:That's true.... but they do see your first semester. I guess I should have qualified my last statement to "wont be fatal, so long as your GPA after second semester is equal or higher).
They can't deal with hypo's at this point without second semester grades. So if we're preselected, then at least we know that our first semester GPA is above their absolute cutoff for the moment.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Mon May 13, 2013 10:33 am

I heard a rumor from CSO that PLIP is re-opening or allowing late registration because they cannot meet the demand for EEs? Can anyone confirm this? If this is the case, that is good and bad news for us EE people.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 13, 2013 10:39 am

kyle010723 wrote:I heard a rumor from CSO that PLIP is re-opening or allowing late registration because they cannot meet the demand for EEs? Can anyone confirm this? If this is the case, that is good and bad news for us EE people.
Can't imagine its bad at all? Doubt any firms will pull out at this point if they already have a need. Unless you think it implies they haven't gotten enough good resumes.

kyle010723

Silver

Post by kyle010723 » Mon May 13, 2013 10:41 am

It is good that it indicates a strong need. It is bad in the sense that there will be more applicants to compete with if they re-open registration or it indicates current EE applicants are not strong enough.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 13, 2013 11:52 am

kyle010723 wrote:I heard a rumor from CSO that PLIP is re-opening or allowing late registration because they cannot meet the demand for EEs? Can anyone confirm this? If this is the case, that is good and bad news for us EE people.
If they reopen to everyone, not just EE, then wouldn't that be bad for everyone? Because that would mean more competition for the same number of spots...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 13, 2013 5:05 pm

Actually, I really doubt that re-opening it would help anybody, us or employers.
The way that I look at it, those EE's who were closed out either (1) sent their resumes directly to the firms if their stats were good enough, or (2) did nothing 'cause their stats are so bad that they wouldn't qualify anyway despite the lower standards.

So those second-round spots are most likely going to be filled by EE's with lower stats than you guys already in.

Bottom line is........ we're all already in better shape because of the relatively low turnout this year (including BSME's like me).

Jsa725

Gold

Post by Jsa725 » Mon May 13, 2013 6:54 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 13, 2013 7:17 pm

Jsa725 wrote:Re: the need for EE, etc...

A) how are they going about opening up slots for EE's?
Same way they've contacted people with specific backgrounds. They will contact you based on your background in your profile
B) wouldn't it only affect those w/ EE background who are already signed up?
Yes, but people may not have used all of their bids, or they may give more
C) will the influx of EE candidates have an impact on IP Lit seekers? Or mainly impact the current patbar eligible IP Pros seekers w/ EE backgrounds?
If they are looking for an EE to fill an IP Lit spot, then yes, but you weren't going to be considered anyway in that situation. The firms dictate what they are looking for (prosecution or otherwise)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 13, 2013 9:16 pm

One thing if the program opens up primarily because they want more EE's. That probably means that these firms are IP prosecution firms. Lit firms seem less concerned with the specific expertise or field.

Anywat, this is all talknow........ where's the confirmation?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Jsa725

Gold

Post by Jsa725 » Mon May 13, 2013 9:27 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 13, 2013 9:31 pm

Just noticing some of my option 4 courses might be listed on my transcript and potentially not count. Any computer science people figure out what counts? Will "c++ for scientists and engineers" count? To be clear, that's the only CS course I'm trying to have credited.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue May 14, 2013 8:45 am

C++ for engineers & scientists should be a no-brainer (of course, I'm BSME, so to me, it doesn't matter). However, from you question, I gotta ask........ are you a scientist or engineer? and if not, wtf did you take the course for?

chem

Silver

Post by chem » Tue May 14, 2013 9:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just noticing some of my option 4 courses might be listed on my transcript and potentially not count. Any computer science people figure out what counts? Will "c++ for scientists and engineers" count? To be clear, that's the only CS course I'm trying to have credited.
The Office can be weird though. None of us can really answer that. The fact it says "for scientists and engineers" will definitely help

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Wed May 15, 2013 12:40 pm

I dunno, I audited "Java for Scientists" and "MATLAB for Scientists" and both were decidedly low-detail compared to the CS major versions of the courses. Will vary by school and will probably depend on the syllabus.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 15, 2013 6:17 pm

wiseowl wrote:I dunno, I audited "Java for Scientists" and "MATLAB for Scientists" and both were decidedly low-detail compared to the CS major versions of the courses. Will vary by school and will probably depend on the syllabus.
All this concern..... are you worried that you won't be qualified as patbar eligible or not aualified as PLIP eligible? That way I see it, so long as your registered and preselected by the firms, if after the screening they still give you a CB, then you're okay. As far as PLIP-eligibility, I wouldn't worry about it, 'cause if the firm wants you, then it wants you, and it doesn't matter whether you belonged to PLIP or not (seen so many pasty-face white straight men at minority fairs already).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat May 18, 2013 11:43 am

Just one big resume drop. Nothing to do or say undert June 21st when the first preselect decisions show up in simplicity.................

Bumi

Silver

Post by Bumi » Sat May 18, 2013 3:01 pm

It did for me.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”