Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Nammertat

Silver

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013 Thread: ITT we BS until interviews are sent

Post by Nammertat » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:31 pm

Agent wrote:I haven't seen a lineup lately, but I recall fewer than a dozen firms interviewing at SFIPLA's job fair. They included Blakely Sokoloff, Dechert, and Klarquist Sparkman. I also think that Perkins Coie and Quinn interviewed there. There was some overlap with PLIP. HTH.
fishfry111 wrote:How big is SFIPLA anyway, as compared with PLIP? Are there different firms, or firms with different IP-subpractice areas that go specifically to SFIPLA rather than PLIP>

Blakely Sokoloff Taylor & Zafman LLP (Sunnyvale)
Dechert LLP (Boston, MA)
Foley & Lardner LLP (Los Angeles, California)
Kenyon & Kenyon LLP (New York, NY)
Kilpatrick Townsend LLP (San Francisco, CA)
Klarquist Sparkman (Portland, Oregon)
Knobbe Martens Olson & Bear, LLP (Irvine, CA)
McDermott Will & Emery LLP (Irvine, CA)
Morgan Lewis & Bockius LLP (Palo Alto)
Morrison & Foerster LLP (San Francisco, CA)
O'Melveny & Myers LLP (San Francisco, CA)
Orrick Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP (Los Angeles, CA)
Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP (Menlo Park, CA)
Perkins Coie LLP (Palo Alto/San Francisco, CA)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:To contribute to paranoia, I've been contacted by phone by a few firms regarding selection.
:shock:

Are they wanting to know if you're really interested in their firm, or are they wanting more info?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:To contribute to paranoia, I've been contacted by phone by a few firms regarding selection.

Are they wanting to know if you're really interested in their firm, or are they wanting more info?
Scheduling, two firms asked if I'd rather interview in the office instead of at the fair.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Scheduling, two firms asked if I'd rather interview in the office instead of at the fair.
Congrats!

Jsa725

Gold

Post by Jsa725 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:58 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:16 pm

Jsa725 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Scheduling, two firms asked if I'd rather interview in the office instead of at the fair.
Congrats!
Grats! Also, since you are anon... What are your creds? Firm?
I'll tell you after the offers are out...

Jsa725

Gold

Post by Jsa725 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:30 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chem

Silver

Post by chem » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:10 pm

Get out! Why/how? PM if you don't feel comfortable posting

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:38 am

Anyway to update transcripts? My GPA went up significantly and I feel like it would really up my selection chances...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kryptix

Bronze

Post by kryptix » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:56 am

lgleye wrote:
Jsa725 wrote:
lgleye wrote:
I dunno. Cenventional wisdom says don't spread yourself too thin and stay in one proximity. It's pretty hard to convince them you love both coasts at the same time. Reston & DC are a stone's throw away, but adding other markets may reveal that you just want a job, any job, with them. The only stretch would be to add NYC, which means Lit focus..... are you going Lit or Pros?
IP Lit... Basically, I bid them originally to fill out all 32 bids once I exhausted all available options in my target market
Also IP LIt........ but last week, I confirmed something really disturbing. NYC firms, even if they're foused on IP Lit, want us to pass the Patent Bar. This goes against everything I've read on IP Lit firms, but associate alumni at K&S, KayeScholer, and Cadwalader all say the same. Apparently, "doing patent pros work makes you a better IP litigator", or some bullshit like that. Pisses me off though...... seems like they're just erecting another hoop for us to jump through.
Lastly, I might add that this is just specific to NYC.....

Pretty sure Patent bar is not a requirement at Cadwalader, you will likely have to seek out work outside of pure IP if you can't prosecute though because there will be lulls in pure lit that some of the people fill with pros, but you can't pros if you don't have the patent bar. You can probably take on general lit in the mean time though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:37 pm

Does anyone have an idea how non-PB-eligible people fared in getting interviews last year?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyway to update transcripts? My GPA went up significantly and I feel like it would really up my selection chances...
All the materials already went to the firms, most are already making decisions. Bring them with you, I can't imagine a single semester brought you up THAT much. If you're really concerned target email the firms high on your list with an updated package, although that may cut the wrong way with some.

chem

Silver

Post by chem » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:18 pm

Any SFIPLA bid stuff posted? I got nothing...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thebigspoon

New

Post by thebigspoon » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:38 am

chem wrote:Any SFIPLA bid stuff posted? I got nothing...
nothing either. bidding closes in 6 days and they don't even bidding options open? guess we should just rely on PLIP and OCI

Jsa725

Gold

Post by Jsa725 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:59 am

Jsa725

Gold

Post by Jsa725 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:18 pm

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:51 pm

I just remembered about the SFIPLA fair...two days before the deadline.

It looks like you need to be a member of SFIPLA, and it looks like you have to have a bay area address to join as a student. Am I reading it wrong?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chem

Silver

Post by chem » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:54 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:I just remembered about the SFIPLA fair...two days before the deadline.

It looks like you need to be a member of SFIPLA, and it looks like you have to have a bay area address to join as a student. Am I reading it wrong?
You do need to be a member of SFIPLA, but you don't need a Bay Area address. You can sign up online, and immediately sign up on symplicity (or at least I could). So as long as you have a generic cover letter or can tweak a few fast enough you will be fine

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:59 pm

chem wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:I just remembered about the SFIPLA fair...two days before the deadline.

You do need to be a member of SFIPLA, but you don't need a Bay Area address. You can sign up online, and immediately sign up on symplicity (or at least I could). So as long as you have a generic cover letter or can tweak a few fast enough you will be fine
$25.00 Student
Full-time or part-time law students intending to pursue upon graduation a career specializing in patents, trademarks and/or copyrights, and who have their residence in the Membership Area.
:?:

From here: --LinkRemoved--
Do they just not check?
Nevermind, I see the letter says you don't need to live there in the last line of the letter. Jesus, could this be set up any more confusingly? (And I already hate simplicity.)

And there's a required field that says "company or firm affiliation" on the registration page.

ETA:
Ok, I paid for my SFIPLA membership with paypal. Now what?
The simplicity registration page wants a student ID. What's that?

Jsa725

Gold

Post by Jsa725 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:35 am

chem

Silver

Post by chem » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:51 am

Jsa725 wrote:Anyone bidding on the same firm at both PLIP and SFIPLA?
Yeah. Ill have some overlap at PLIP, OGI, and SFIPLA probably. Figure I'll see what I can net, and then decide to accept interviews or not as they come in.

How about you?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Jsa725

Gold

Post by Jsa725 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:21 am

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:49 pm

Trying to throw together my SFIPLA things at warp speed today...you guys are all expert at this since you've already been through the PLIP bidding process, so I'm sure I sound like an idiot.

I have absolutely no idea how simplicity bidding works. I assume I have a max number of bids? All I see is the list of 15 or so employers, and when you click "Review" there's a section on the right where you choose your documents/list office locations and click "Apply." Is that "bidding"? How many can I do? (I think there are 10 where my crappy grades don't automatically rule me out). Do I have to rank them in order at some point? \

If there's no place to choose an uploaded cover letter, that firm doesn't want one, right?

And how should a cover letter for a fair like this be phrased? Same as a mass-mail one where you say "I am a second year student at ZZZ and I am interested in a summer associate position at XXX YYY, L.L.P."?

Thanks for being patient with the potato. :?

Jsa725

Gold

Post by Jsa725 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:03 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:10 pm

Jsa725 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Trying to throw together my SFIPLA things at warp speed today...you guys are all expert at this since you've already been through the PLIP bidding process, so I'm sure I sound like an idiot.

I have absolutely no idea how simplicity bidding works. I assume I have a max number of bids? All I see is the list of 15 or so employers, and when you click "Review" there's a section on the right where you choose your documents/list office locations and click "Apply." Is that "bidding"? How many can I do? (I think there are 10 where my crappy grades don't automatically rule me out). Do I have to rank them in order at some point? \

If there's no place to choose an uploaded cover letter, that firm doesn't want one, right?

And how should a cover letter for a fair like this be phrased? Same as a mass-mail one where you say "I am a second year student at ZZZ and I am interested in a summer associate position at XXX YYY, L.L.P."?

Thanks for being patient with the potato. :?
Upload résumé, cover letters, transcript, and writing sample.
I bid all but 2 offices so make sure all the correct docs are showing for that office (if you have two cover letters, use the right one)... Once you click "Apply" then you have bid.

You do not rank these bids, and if there is no cover letter slot it means you won't get to submit one with that specific bid.

Remember: the cover letter is not a regurgitation of your résumé...
Thanks mang.
Working on my cover letters now...looks like only 4 out of the 10 I'm bidding need letters (hooray!)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”