Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Loyola PLIP 2013: Brace yourselves...

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:52 pm

Wilson Sonsini CB via phone today. DC office.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So I went to Marshall Gerstein's HS during PLIP to drop off my resume and told them I bid on them for my school's OCI. They decided they were not coming to the OCI, but today, I received an email saying they would like to "invite you to our office in Chicago to meet with members of our firm." Screener? Callback?
Are you a 2L? Are you located near Chi? If they offer to pay for you to come in, it might be a call back.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:22 pm

Any 3Ls received any action? If so, with whom? No CBs yet which obviously concerns me, but no dings yet either. I'm in that strange netherworld where I think I've been rejected but still have that slight glimmer of hope waiting to finally crush me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any 3Ls received any action? If so, with whom? No CBs yet which obviously concerns me, but no dings yet either. I'm in that strange netherworld where I think I've been rejected but still have that slight glimmer of hope waiting to finally crush me.
ditto to that!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:42 pm

Kaye Scholer ding via email

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So I went to Marshall Gerstein's HS during PLIP to drop off my resume and told them I bid on them for my school's OCI. They decided they were not coming to the OCI, but today, I received an email saying they would like to "invite you to our office in Chicago to meet with members of our firm." Screener? Callback?
Are you a 2L? Are you located near Chi? If they offer to pay for you to come in, it might be a call back.
I am a rising 2L yes, and I live about 2 hours drive from Chicago. They offered to pay for gas and parking. They just sent me the schedule for the interview, and it has a lineup of 6 attorneys. Quite elaborate if its just a screener. But I am not going to get my hope up.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I am a rising 2L yes, and I live about 2 hours drive from Chicago. They offered to pay for gas and parking. They just sent me the schedule for the interview, and it has a lineup of 6 attorneys. Quite elaborate if its just a screener. But I am not going to get my hope up.
Definitely a callback. Good luck!

androstan

Gold

Post by androstan » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
That is a callback sir/mam.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:50 pm

Mayer Brown (Chi) ding today via email.

I know CBs have gone out for Sterne Kessler, but have they sent out dings?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:07 pm

To all the 3Ls out there: I am going to be starting at a firm as a first year associate and I got my job through the Loyola Patent Fair as a 3L. I actually received several CBs and offers from Loyola. It really depends on the firm and it make take several weeks before you hear back from. They are on a different hiring schedule then 2Ls.

Stay in touch with them every few weeks. Be persistent. If you can financially swing it, say you "will be in town next week" and would love to meet with more attorneys while you are in town. I know it might be expensive and it might mean less drinks or coffees, but this is your career. You need to hustle.

I hustled my way into 5 or 6 CBs and had several biglaw/midlaw offers in my hand by the middle of September. And for what it is worth, I had no summer associate position as a 2L and my grades put me at bottom of class from a T25 school. And, no, I do not have an engineering degree.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Mayer Brown (Chi) ding today via email.

I know CBs have gone out for Sterne Kessler, but have they sent out dings?
Also a MB Chi ding

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:To all the 3Ls out there: I am going to be starting at a firm as a first year associate and I got my job through the Loyola Patent Fair as a 3L. I actually received several CBs and offers from Loyola. It really depends on the firm and it make take several weeks before you hear back from. They are on a different hiring schedule then 2Ls.

Stay in touch with them every few weeks. Be persistent. If you can financially swing it, say you "will be in town next week" and would love to meet with more attorneys while you are in town. I know it might be expensive and it might mean less drinks or coffees, but this is your career. You need to hustle.

I hustled my way into 5 or 6 CBs and had several biglaw/midlaw offers in my hand by the middle of September. And for what it is worth, I had no summer associate position as a 2L and my grades put me at bottom of class from a T25 school. And, no, I do not have an engineering degree.
May I ask what makes you stand out among all the 3L candidates? Thanks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:To all the 3Ls out there: I am going to be starting at a firm as a first year associate and I got my job through the Loyola Patent Fair as a 3L. I actually received several CBs and offers from Loyola. It really depends on the firm and it make take several weeks before you hear back from. They are on a different hiring schedule then 2Ls.

May I ask what makes you stand out among all the 3L candidates? Thanks.
He's a hustler baby

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:08 am

Do you have a background in comp sci, or an advanced degree in the life sciences or chemistry? Those could make you highly competitive with a lower GPA as well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:21 am

It's been quiet this week for callbacks and dings...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:03 am

3L EE w great WE but forgettable LS credentials, got 7 screeners and 1 CB. So far. Probably my only CB; the only other screener I felt great about is for a smaller firm looking for 1 or 2 candidates so I'm not holding my breath on that oe.

But, I feel like I blew the CB because I was largely unprepared to be grilled on my tech credentials. Since 1L, I must have had some 40-50 individual interviews(screeners and CB combined) and the questionsabout my tech background were always cursory.But here, these guys wanted to gauge my familiarity w specific tech areas, or explain to them in detail what I did as an engineer. I was caught up short and my answers were halting and vague. Even having to justify engineering grades from 15 years ago. Ugh.

Looking back, out of all my interviews at all kinds of firms. from GPS to the large IP boutiques (Fish & Richardson, etc.), it occurs to me that its the first time I have CBed for a prosecution group specifically (I have only very recently decides to focus on pro). I should have realized that these guys would dig deep but habit and maybe overconfidence borne of experience won over (nowadays I treat all my interviews like a.pleasant chat, and never bring any notes).

TL;DR: be ready to demonstrate your tech chops during patent PROSECUTION CBs.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:To clarify your list:

CB:

Akin Gump (DC)
McDermott (Any and all - they really didn't care)
Mayer Brown (DC)
Kenyon & Kenyon (NY but could be for other places)
Perkins Coie (Seattle)
Knobbe (OC)
Lowenstein (Palo Alto)
Proskauer (Boston)
Jones Day (DC)
White & Case (DC)
Finnegan (DC)

Dings:

WilmerHale (Boston)
Foley (Like everyone else)
O'Melveny (Who cares)
Nutter (Boston)
Hogan Lovels (DC)
New callback this week:

Kilpatrick (Bay Area)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It's been quiet this week for callbacks and dings...
I picked up Kirkland DC callback. Only movement this week.

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:28 pm

Are yall approaching general practice @ large firm interviews (w/ non-ip interviewers) differently? Is there a presumption that these guys don't even build the IP summer program and thus we (I) should talk about general interests at their firm and then shift my way into patent once I'm in there (knowing they have a solid patent dept).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:34 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:Are yall approaching general practice @ large firm interviews (w/ non-ip interviewers) differently? Is there a presumption that these guys don't even build the IP summer program and thus we (I) should talk about general interests at their firm and then shift my way into patent once I'm in there (knowing they have a solid patent dept).
I've knocked out several CBs now, and in my experience, the only non-ip interviewers have been managing partners, hiring partners, etc. Folks who are on the recruiting committee and know what's up and why I'm there. Granted these have all come from IP fairs and whatnot, so if you're referring to OCI then good luck. In my experience there from 1L, they don't understand IP backgrounds and seem to distrust us, feeling that we don't want to do anything but go to some IP boutique.

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
laxbrah420 wrote:Are yall approaching general practice @ large firm interviews (w/ non-ip interviewers) differently? Is there a presumption that these guys don't even build the IP summer program and thus we (I) should talk about general interests at their firm and then shift my way into patent once I'm in there (knowing they have a solid patent dept).
I've knocked out several CBs now, and in my experience, the only non-ip interviewers have been managing partners, hiring partners, etc. Folks who are on the recruiting committee and know what's up and why I'm there. Granted these have all come from IP fairs and whatnot, so if you're referring to OCI then good luck. In my experience there from 1L, they don't understand IP backgrounds and seem to distrust us, feeling that we don't want to do anything but go to some IP boutique.
Ya sorry I was talking about OCI interviewers from big firms with IP practices (that are not boutiques). You think "hide it" is the the credited strategy?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:46 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Ya sorry I was talking about OCI interviewers from big firms with IP practices (that are not boutiques). You think "hide it" is the the credited strategy?
Yah, I got a 1L SA at a fairly big regional firm with 0 IP presence. In interviews I never brought up IP and downplayed it if asked.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:53 pm

I have expressed interest in both IP and non (even soft IP and transactions when the firm did no patent work -- the interviewer actually noted that his first thought was to put me on pharma/biotech transactions... He was a corporate guy).

So far no CBs but it's only the second day of my oci.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:00 pm

Brinks (Chicago) CB today via email.

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
laxbrah420 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Yah, I got a 1L SA at a fairly big regional firm with 0 IP presence. In interviews I never brought up IP and downplayed it if asked.
I was talking about places with IP presence (kirkland, ropes, proskauer) but you're talking to a corporate bro

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”