Unpaid internship AFTER graduation

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Void

Unpaid internship AFTER graduation

Postby Void » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:11 pm

Would you accept an unpaid internship after graduation, with the understanding that you would have a good shot at getting an offer once you passed the bar? Or would you decline and hold out for something better, which might never come?

Princethedog

Re: Unpaid internship AFTER graduation

Postby Princethedog » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:25 pm

What does your schools home market look like?

Void

Postby Void » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:33 pm

Princethedog wrote:What does your schools home market look like?

A nuclear wasteland. Some 3Ls have midlaw offers (like 10-12 maybe) but the rest of us are basically marching towards graduation with no prospects whatsoever.

Forgot to add that the above internship situation would be for a job I would absolutely love to get- basically a dream job- BUT would require that I relocate to an entirely different state.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:00 am

I'm aware of a fair amount of people that take unpaid "jobs" post law school from a handful of different schools. I'm glad I didn't face that or unemployment post graduation, but if I had, I certainly would have taken the "job".

My advice would be to take it if you can afford it and you don't have better options.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:00 am

Only if you continue your job search 100% because you are still unemployed.

bobbypin

Postby bobbypin » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:17 am

It is disgusting how employers are flouting employment regulations.
I agree with the above poster, consider yourself 100% unemployed.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:21 am

bobbypin wrote:It is disgusting how employers are flouting employment regulations.

Well, a lot of offices that do this that I know of are non-profit/public sector - PDs and DAs. If so, they're not flouting employment regulations (and I would take the job because it seems to be a common path to this kind of job). However, if it's private sector, disapprove away!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:34 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
bobbypin wrote:It is disgusting how employers are flouting employment regulations.

Well, a lot of offices that do this that I know of are non-profit/public sector - PDs and DAs. If so, they're not flouting employment regulations (and I would take the job because it seems to be a common path to this kind of job). However, if it's private sector, disapprove away!

Minimum wage laws apply equally to the public sector and tax-exempt orgs as to the private sector. Hiring unpaid interns with no educational motive or benefit may be less morally reprehensible for such entities, but it's equally illegal.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:37 am

Desert Fox wrote:Only if you continue your job search 100% because you are still unemployed.

I agree.

I also think you need to talk to this prospective employer and ask what the realistic probability of an offer is. Just be frank and say "look, I really, really would love to do this, but this is a huge commitment and I want to know what my long-term prospects with your firm/company/agency/whatever are going to be." I also think you should see about working out some sort of deal with your school to give you a stipend, or see if your employer will let you bartend or wait tables or something in the evenings. How are you going to live on no pay?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:38 am

And +1 to this. Goddamn shitboomers and their unpaid inTTTernships

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:

Minimum wage laws apply equally to the public sector and tax-exempt orgs as to the private sector. Hiring unpaid interns with no educational motive or benefit may be less morally reprehensible for such entities, but it's equally illegal.

Everything I've found distinguishes non-profit from for-profit institutions in terms of unpaid internships. E.g. --LinkRemoved--, http://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs71.pdf. So feel free to disapprove, but it's not illegal for non-profits.

Void

Postby Void » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:39 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:

The internship is for a government position. My understanding is that this is the typical path to an offer- they are just "unable" to fill attorney positions unless applicants are appropriately licensed to practice. Still, it isn't a sure thing by any means. Even though my home market is disaster, I would be nervous to move to a different state where I have absolutely no potential professional connections.

As for how I could afford to live without pay: I'm married and my spouse works (but would have to find a new job if we moved) and this would also only be from the beginning of August (post-bar) until around November (post-swearing in).

I share the frustration of others on this thread about the exploitation of unpaid interns, but I think in the context of government jobs the idea is that they sometimes just do not hire anyone pre-bar, but offer the "opportunity" to work for free (and to prove your worth) up until you are officially elligible to apply.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:23 pm

A relative is currently working an unpaid internship with the hopes of jumping ship. She took it because she had nothing else lined up. I think her internship ends in the near future so I'll have to see how it all works out. Her anecdotal experience was that there wasn't any real prospect of it leading to a fulltime offer.

My approach would be to take it, beats nothing. However, I would have no loyalty whatsoever and would call in sick to go to other interviews, etc. Like above posters have said, keep the job search up 100%.

Return to “Legal Employment”