Re: rejection e-mail

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:33 am

Hi. I am a 1L that just got rejected for a judicial internship with an Los Angeles state judge. Since I am fairly new and was competing against other 2Ls for the position, I'm not entirely sure of the protocol here. Do I respond to the rejection e-mail with something like "oh hey, but thanks for meeting me and giving me interview experience yada yada" and continue brown-nosing just in case I meet her again in the future?

I had sent a thank-you e-mail after our interview so I just don't want to seem obsessed or weird.

-clueless 1L

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:33 am

Don't respond. Be thankful that you got a rejection letter at all. Apply again next year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:36 am

Scotusnerd wrote:Don't respond. Be thankful that you got a rejection letter at all. Apply again next year.

Another thing is that she said:

"Unfortunately, I have chosen another candidate; however, I am hoping that you will apply for an externship for the Fall Semester of the next academic year, as I think you would do an excellent job."

Was she saying the latter part just to be nice? Should I apply for fall? Or am I setting myself up for some more humiliation? I know, I know, I'm a 1L and my journey isn't supposed to be humiliation-free but I'd just like to know how judges work.

cdelgado

Postby cdelgado » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:48 am

Dude, relax. Apply next year. End of story.

okinawa

Postby okinawa » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:18 am

Being rejected for a job isn't humiliating. It'll happen hundreds of more times before the end of 3L. Just apply again.

mr.hands

Postby mr.hands » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Scotusnerd wrote:Don't respond. Be thankful that you got a rejection letter at all. Apply again next year.

Another thing is that she said:

"Unfortunately, I have chosen another candidate; however, I am hoping that you will apply for an externship for the Fall Semester of the next academic year, as I think you would do an excellent job."

Was she saying the latter part just to be nice? Should I apply for fall? Or am I setting myself up for some more humiliation? I know, I know, I'm a 1L and my journey isn't supposed to be humiliation-free but I'd just like to know how judges work.

I know where you're coming from. It's uncomfortable to have gone into an interview and to be rejected because you wonder what went wrong. Don't think like that, though. This happens to everyone and it doesn't mean you did something wrong. There are tons of people applying for very few positions

Don't respond to the email. It's a courtesy response. Reapply next year, though.

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:01 pm

okinawa wrote:Being rejected for a job isn't humiliating. It'll happen hundreds of more times before the end of 3L. Just apply again.

i keep all of my rejection letters and display them prominently, to fuel my fire.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:03 pm

I disagree with most people here.

If you had direct contact with the judge, and you think he (or his assistant) personally sent it, it absolutely can't hurt to say "Thank you so much for the opportunity. I really enjoyed meeting you. Blah blah blah. Best wishes."

Keep it short, keep it simple.

But if it seems to be a mass response or an automatic email, you shouldn't respond.

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:29 pm

I agree that small statement isn't a bad idea if you've had contact.

Apply for the externship if you want it. You don't have to. Wait a bit until you know that the fall externship will open up (talk to career services about how to approach it if you don't know), and then apply for that. But, take heed of this advice: don't live and breathe off of the judge's every word. No one wants to hire a suck-up, and you will appear as one if you worry as much as you are right now.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:38 pm

Have you never applied for a job before? wtf.

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:04 pm

dr123 wrote:Have you never applied for a job before? wtf.

What, and you were never a newbie before? This shit is not obvious to someone who hasn't experienced it. You can screw yourself over any number of ways by just wanting to be a nice guy and be helpful, but rubbing somebody the wrong way. I don't know about you, but OP seems like a nice fella, just a bit clueless. I was there once, and I suspect you were as well.

Return to “Legal Employment”