Legal Employment and Undergrad Degree Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Lido997

New

Legal Employment and Undergrad Degree

Post by Lido997 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:44 pm

I have been pursuing the forums around here but have been unable to find a straight forward answer for this question: How much does your undergrad degree matter when finding legal employment? I know that if you want to work in IP you should have a hard science degree but what about things like Enviro Law or Health Law? Do these require an Environmental Science or Biology Degree respectively? I guess the meat of my question is that I made the unfortunate mistake of getting a liberal arts degree and was wondering if this would limit my options in the legal field.

cinephile

Gold

Re: Legal Employment and Undergrad Degree

Post by cinephile » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:19 pm

Don't worry about it, you'll be fine. Everything you need to learn, you'll learn in your first job.

Void

Silver

Post by Void » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:08 pm

Lido997 wrote:I have been pursuing the forums around here but have been unable to find a straight forward answer for this question: How much does your undergrad degree matter when finding legal employment? I know that if you want to work in IP you should have a hard science degree but what about things like Enviro Law or Health Law? Do these require an Environmental Science or Biology Degree respectively? I guess the meat of my question is that I made the unfortunate mistake of getting a liberal arts degree and was wondering if this would limit my options in the legal field.
Your UG degree is totally irrelevant unless you're heading to IP. otherwise it only comes up as random conversation filler, like "oh you were a history major? That's cool. Hey, did you hear it might rain?"

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:42 pm

Your undergrad degree is like a soft on a law school application - might serve as a tie breaker, but really quite meaningless

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:43 pm

Read the forum rules before posting.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Legal Employment”