Jones Day Taipei interview

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
novawife

Jones Day Taipei interview

Postby novawife » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:05 am

I'm interviewing (over the phone) with Jones Day's Taipei office next week. I'm from China and is a 1L at a T-14. This is an intern position (not summer associate) and it fits nicely in my career plan as I want to work in the greater china region after law school.

Any one has done interview with that office? Your tips will be greatly appreciated! Can also PM me.

BKB

Re: Jones Day Taipei interview

Postby BKB » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:03 am

If you are from mainland, I doubt you can actually work in Taiwan.
Back to the point, intern would be much easier to get than SA, and all common interview techniques would apply. Be prepared for questions like why JD, why Taipei, and prepare questions for them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:57 pm

novawife wrote:I'm interviewing (over the phone) with Jones Day's Taipei office next week. I'm from China and is a 1L at a T-14. This is an intern position (not summer associate) and it fits nicely in my career plan as I want to work in the greater china region after law school.

Any one has done interview with that office? Your tips will be greatly appreciated! Can also PM me.

good luck! Just tell them you are interested in a career in Asia. Working in Taiwan for a summer will allow you to build up your network and learn more about the legal culture here. I think the expectation for Jones Day is to only have you for one summer as well so I wouldn't worry too much about explaining why Taiwan.

novawife

Postby novawife » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:35 pm

BKB wrote:If you are from mainland, I doubt you can actually work in Taiwan.
Back to the point, intern would be much easier to get than SA, and all common interview techniques would apply. Be prepared for questions like why JD, why Taipei, and prepare questions for them.

Thanks for the answer. I'm from the mainland, but has been in the US long enough to get citizenship.

novawife

Postby novawife » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
novawife wrote:I'm interviewing (over the phone) with Jones Day's Taipei office next week. I'm from China and is a 1L at a T-14. This is an intern position (not summer associate) and it fits nicely in my career plan as I want to work in the greater china region after law school.

good luck! Just tell them you are interested in a career in Asia. Working in Taiwan for a summer will allow you to build up your network and learn more about the legal culture here. I think the expectation for Jones Day is to only have you for one summer as well so I wouldn't worry too much about explaining why Taiwan.

OP here. Yes, this is my 1L job and i don't expect them to give me a formal offer or something, as I heard most of their lawyers are locally trained (as opposed to US JDs).

Also, on the "why JD" question, I assume it means "why law school?" as I was not a law major in college so LLM is off the table.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:52 pm

novawife wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

OP here. Yes, this is my 1L job and i don't expect them to give me a formal offer or something, as I heard most of their lawyers are locally trained (as opposed to US JDs).

Also, on the "why JD" question, I assume it means "why law school?" as I was not a law major in college so LLM is off the table.

Why JD as in why Jones Day duduhead! (duduhead in an endearing way)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:21 pm

Pokemon wrote:
novawife wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I think OP can answer it this way (at least that's how I answered when interviewing with the Asia office of a large international law firm). Tell them you are interested in working as a US lawyer in Asia in the future. Jones Day is one of the best US law firms operating in Asia (list 1, 2, 3 major deals Jones Day has done in Asia). You think an internship in Taiwan will really help you to understand the international practice of a US law firm and allow you to pursue your career objective in the future. You will also be able to build up your network here and have a better understanding of clients and legal culture in Asia.

sfhaze

Postby sfhaze » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:47 pm

Serious question: What's the future of foreign/US law firms doing business in China, or the greater China region in general for that matter? Are those heading there now from the US hoping to gain experience for a while and return to the western home office of their foreign/US law firm?

longlivetheking

Postby longlivetheking » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
I think OP can answer it this way (at least that's how I answered when interviewing with the Asia office of a large international law firm). Tell them you are interested in working as a US lawyer in Asia in the future. Jones Day is one of the best US law firms operating in Asia (list 1, 2, 3 major deals Jones Day has done in Asia). You think an internship in Taiwan will really help you to understand the international practice of a US law firm and allow you to pursue your career objective in the future. You will also be able to build up your network here and have a better understanding of clients and legal culture in Asia.

if this user could pm me on the intricacies of working in asia biglaw i would be eternally grateful.

novawife

Postby novawife » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:34 pm

Pokemon wrote:
novawife wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

haha!

novawife

Postby novawife » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:38 pm

I think OP can answer it this way (at least that's how I answered when interviewing with the Asia office of a large international law firm). Tell them you are interested in working as a US lawyer in Asia in the future. Jones Day is one of the best US law firms operating in Asia (list 1, 2, 3 major deals Jones Day has done in Asia). You think an internship in Taiwan will really help you to understand the international practice of a US law firm and allow you to pursue your career objective in the future. You will also be able to build up your network here and have a better understanding of clients and legal culture in Asia.[/quote][/quote]

That's a great answer! thanks!

Return to “Legal Employment”