Length of 1L judicial internship?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Length of 1L judicial internship?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:17 pm

I need to decide how many weeks I want to work. I asked the judge's clerk what's normal and she mentioned the dates that the other two interns in the office will be working (I counted and it's 12 weeks). I can only work 11 weeks max because 12 wouldn't give me enough time to return back to school and prepare for OGI. What about 10 weeks? Would it look bad to do 10 weeks if the other interns are doing 12? I want to make a good impression. How long is normal for internships with district judges?

adonai

Re: Length of 1L judicial internship?

Postby adonai » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I need to decide how many weeks I want to work. I asked the judge's clerk what's normal and she mentioned when the other interns in the office will be working (I counted and it's 12 weeks). I can only work 11 weeks max because 12 wouldn't give me enough time to return back to school and prepare for OGI. What about 10 weeks? Would it look bad to do 10 weeks if the other interns are doing 12? I want to make a good impression. How long is normal for internships with district judges?

10 weeks is about the average. Just do good work with the time you have. 10 weeks should be enough time to prove yourself. 12 weeks would be to work right after finals and end right when school starts. That is just way too extreme and most chambers understand you need downtime. Externs are expendable and we're not that important (although we like to think of ourselves as being so).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:26 pm

adonai wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I need to decide how many weeks I want to work. I asked the judge's clerk what's normal and she mentioned when the other interns in the office will be working (I counted and it's 12 weeks). I can only work 11 weeks max because 12 wouldn't give me enough time to return back to school and prepare for OGI. What about 10 weeks? Would it look bad to do 10 weeks if the other interns are doing 12? I want to make a good impression. How long is normal for internships with district judges?

10 weeks is about the average. Just do good work with the time you have. 10 weeks should be enough time to prove yourself. 12 weeks would be to work right after finals and end right when school starts. That is just way too extreme and most chambers understand you need downtime. Externs are expendable and we're not that important (although we like to think of ourselves as being so).

OP here

10 weeks would give me two weeks off after finals and one week off before OGI
11 weeks would give me a week off before and after the internship before OGI
12 weeks would give me one week off before the internship and none before OGI

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:30 pm

It really doesn't matter. You also don't need a week off to prepare for OCI.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:42 pm

Just going to bump this once. Thanks.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:13 am

Last edited by stillwater on Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:21 am

bk1 wrote:It really doesn't matter. You also don't need a week off to prepare for OCI.

This. Plus, if there are three of you (and even if there weren't), you will have time to prepare at work. Any other pre-OCI "preparation" can be done at home while drinking.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:34 am

OP here

I want to get back to school early enough that I can do mock interviews with Career Services. I didn't get any callbacks from 1L OCI and I think I may be a mediocre interviewer.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here

I want to get back to school early enough that I can do mock interviews with Career Services. I didn't get any callbacks from 1L OCI and I think I may be a mediocre interviewer.

Fair enough. Give yourself a week before OCI to do that. Alternatively you could do them now while you're still at school.

Lwoods

Postby Lwoods » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:44 am

bk1 wrote:

Fair enough. Give yourself a week before OCI to do that. Alternatively you could do them now while you're still at school.

This. Also, the clerks you work with my also be willing to help. The ones I worked with set up one of my fellow externs with mock interviews with other clerks in the courthouse.

JenDarby

Postby JenDarby » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:27 pm

Lwoods wrote:
bk1 wrote:

This. Also, the clerks you work with my also be willing to help. The ones I worked with set up one of my fellow externs with mock interviews with other clerks in the courthouse.

This is a great suggestion. I didn't do any mock interviews, but all my friends that did said the ones with career services (aside from select ones they arranged with actual attorneys) were worthless compared to those they did with employers or other lawyer connections they had.

Return to “Legal Employment”