High rate of associate attrition at midlaw firm

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

High rate of associate attrition at midlaw firm

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:31 am

Hi all,

So I have just started working at a mid sized firm (~40 attorneys, plus another ~30 support staff). The pay is okay, 70k, but this is in Los Angeles so it is not great. Everyone at the firm seems nice and happy, most people arrive early but have left by 5 or 6 pm. So far I am very pleased with the job and consider myself lucky since I only did top 25% at Loyola/Pepperdine. The firm mostly works with insurance defense and personal injury.

The only thing bugging me about the firm is the high rate of attrition among new associates. Most seem to be gone shortly after their first anniversary. Overall I would say there is a significantly higher ratio of young attorneys to older ones at this firm than what you would see at a typical midsized firm. Is the low salary driving people away?

Would it be appropriate to ask the HR manager about the attrition rate? But in a positive way, such as "I am really excited about this firm, and I want to do what it takes to stay here for a long time."

rad lulz

Re: High rate of associate attrition at midlaw firm

Postby rad lulz » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:33 am

If I had to guess, more $ and also people trying to leave ID and personal injury if possible.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:37 am

rad lulz wrote:If I had to guess, more $ and also people trying to leave ID and personal injury if possible.

ITE though? At this point I am happy to make 70k for the next several years. I don't see how so many of these people have desirable exit options after 1 year.

I am starting to think they are getting shit canned for not meeting their billable requirement. Is this something I can ask HR about? I've also thought about contacting a few people who recently left the firm.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:If I had to guess, more $ and also people trying to leave ID and personal injury if possible.

ITE though? At this point I am happy to make 70k for the next several years. I don't see how so many of these people have desirable exit options after 1 year.

I am starting to think they are getting shit canned for not meeting their billable requirement. Is this something I can ask HR about? I've also thought about contacting a few people who recently left the firm.

I don't know how long you've been working there, but insurers tend to be sucky clients. They are stingy as hell and ID can feel like mindless paper churning. I wouldn't put it past people to have left because they hated the work.

If you're gonna ask, phrase it as "what makes new associates successful" rather than "how can I stay here for a long time."

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:30 am

rad lulz wrote:I don't know how long you've been working there, but insurers tend to be sucky clients. They are stingy as hell and ID can feel like mindless paper churning. I wouldn't put it past people to have left because they hated the work.

This is a bit OT, but IMO, ID works best when its done in-house for an insurance company and salaried (no billable hours).

Return to “Legal Employment”