Fall Externship

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Fall Externship

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:27 pm

Through a resume collect I was offered an interview with a judge for the summer. I let him know that I already accepted a position for the summer but would resubmit for the fall if he is looking then. Surprisingly, he wants to just interview now for the fall anyway. Which is great, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to lock in something for the fall yet. I haven't begun looking for fall yet. And my school has a policy of not accepting interviews from judges unless I'm prepared to accept. What should I do? It's for a state trial level judge that does mortgage foreclosure - not sure if I'm interested in this at all. Don't know anything about it.

gdane

Re: Fall Externship

Postby gdane » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:52 pm

Then don't do it. Tell the judge you can't interview for it yet and if he asks why blame it on the school.

Anonymous User

Re: Fall Externship

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:41 pm

I would also recommend not doing it. Just thank him profusely for being willing to interview you already, but explain that you're looking to use this summer as an opportunity to figure out what area of the law interests you. Until you have a better sense of that, you don't want to take up anyone's time or lock yourself into a fall position. I'd also mention your school's policy and use it to emphasize the point that you don't think it's appropriate to take up any of his time with an interview yet. If he insists that he doesn't care if you're ready to accept immediately and just would like to meet you now in case you're interested later, then I think it would be fine to go in for the interview.

Also, just for your sake, while I'm certainly no expert on foreclosures, I spent some time at a state court and had a lot of exposure to cases where people were fighting foreclosures. It's interesting in the sense that it's still a hot issue and there are some meaningful cases. That said, the vast majority of cases are very repetitive in the legal and factual issues that arise. My sense of it was that there were just a couple of lawyers that for some flat fee would basically copy paste a wrongful foreclosure complaint and fight all of the motions to dismiss with last minute complaint revisions and confusing, copy paste replies, until finally they'd lose on summary judgment (if they made it that far). The point, of course, being to buy the homeowner some more time to chill in his or her house. There's also the issue that by the time you graduate, foreclosures will likely be much less of an issue, so developing any sort of expertise in the area of law might not be worthwhile. Again, this is very much my amateur perspective on the matter, but I just thought I'd throw out these warnings based on my minimal experience.

Return to “Legal Employment”