In-house v. Small Firm? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

In-house v. Small Firm?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:56 am

I just received an offer for an in-house position with a large trust/organization/institution in my state from my school's spring OCI. I also interviewed with a small firm (<10), but I have not heard from them yet. There is a two week acceptance deadline for the in-house position so how can I best leverage the position to get a response/answer/2nd interview from the firm?
Also, which position is better, in-house or small firm?

Anonymous User

Re: In-house v. Small Firm?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:10 pm

Curious about the leverage question as well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:20 pm

I haven't done this specifically with legal jobs, but have had this situation come up in past job searches. I think it is completely acceptable to call/email the second firm and tell them you have another offer and deadline. Let them know that you are still really interested in working at their firm, and ask when they will have a decision for you. If you strongly imply that you will accept the position if offered, you may be able to sway them. I don't think that this "leverage" will get you an offer if you wouldn't have been offered otherwise, but it can speed up their response time, and is also just the most honest & professional way to handle the situation IMO.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:40 am

Sorry I meant "leverage" more in the sense of compelling a response from the firm. I followed your advice and called, but had to leave a voicemail.

What about the pros/cons of small firm v. in-house?

In-house typically doesn't lead to a permanent position, but I also worry that with a small firm the chances of hiring post-grad aren't very high. Thoughts?

Small firm does insurance defense
In-house does everything from commercial litigation, property, education, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”