Interviews and Mass Mailing. Chances? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
mr.hands

Silver

Interviews and Mass Mailing. Chances?

Post by mr.hands » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:49 pm

Last week I got an email from a biglaw firm. They asked me to stop by the office, meet with 4 of their attorneys, and discuss the possibility of working at the firm this summer.

The firm is located in Georgia, where i'm originally from and hope to return after graduation. (I suspect that's why I got an interview from mass mailing)

I hear that landing an interview with a big firm from mass mailing is really tough. Once you get the interview, though, is it just the same as any interview from OCI (where you and 20-30 of your classmates are interviewing for the same position back-to-back-to-back in the library or a hotel room)? Or are your chances better because the firm has selected you and expressed an interest in your resume and asked you to visit to meet with their attorneys at their office?

(I'm asking because I am not sure if I should look at this interview as a long-shot or a realistic possibility to land a great job).

Thanks for any advice/insight, guys. I'm just trying to manage expectations.

Objection

Silver

Re: Interviews and Mass Mailing. Chances?

Post by Objection » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:59 pm

No point in overanalyzing it.

They wouldn't have you in to meet with multiple attorneys if they didn't think you had the credentials to get hired, or if they weren't hiring. 4 attorneys billing out at $500/hour (low) meeting with you for 30 minutes each is a pretty expensive waste of everyone's time otherwise.

Once you know those things, what more do you want? Whether it's long-shot or realistic, kill the interview.

kryptix

Bronze

Post by kryptix » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:26 am

Treat it as a callback because that's exactly what it is.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:28 am

It's a callback. They want to hire you. Show them you're worth it and don't worry about the precise % chance you have of getting hired.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:32 am

Legal employment "what are my chances" poasts are almost universally worthless, and this is no exception. If you don't have a job, you need to work hard to kill every interview you get.

As to this:
I hear that landing an interview with a big firm from mass mailing is really tough
It's not tough to get interviews from mass mailing if you have the credentials/background and they are hiring (or hiring outside of OCI). Problem is this doesn't happen all that often.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:41 am

It's pretty hard all things considered, though. I think that's what he meant.

I'm post-big law, post-clerkship and I've gotten 1 interview to date on 14 applications. Granted, I'm looking at firms known to be a bitch to get hired at.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:It's pretty hard all things considered, though. I think that's what he meant.
Yeah there's no denying that. I have seen a ton or people ask something like "I got an interview from mass mailing; worse chances than OCI?" and I assumed this was like the converse of that (better chance because interviewing fewer people?).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”