Will the 2013 DOJ Honors positions survive the sequester?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Will the 2013 DOJ Honors positions survive the sequester?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:22 am

Seems like DOJ will have a lot of positions on the chopping block. I can't see why the new hires wouldn't be first to go.

But, then again, I have no idea what I'm talking about...

Anonymous User

Re: Will the 2013 DOJ Honors positions survive the sequester?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:32 am

Did you see the post in the DOJ thread where someone asked a contact in DOJ who said that they didn't expect that to happen?

Does anyone know of a resource that actually lists which programs/agencies get cut? Everything I find says things like medicare, defense discretionary, non-defense discretionary, and other mandatory programs. When politicians talk about it, they mostly refer to cuts that will scare people (education will be cut! national security will be cut!) (not that it isn't scary, they just clearly want to make points). I would just love a list of which agencies are getting cut what amount (and what percentage of their budget that is).

the lantern

Postby the lantern » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:22 pm

On a related note, the White House's draft immigration bill calls for increased attorney staff at the BIA, so I think you can look forward to more EOIR hiring.

evm003

Postby evm003 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know of a resource that actually lists which programs/agencies get cut?

Here's a start: http://www.govexec.com/management/2013/ ... ion/61535/

Also, please don't call it "the sequester" like everyone else. It's "sequestration." That's actually a noun.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:55 pm

evm003 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know of a resource that actually lists which programs/agencies get cut?

Here's a start: http://www.govexec.com/management/2013/ ... ion/61535/

Also, please don't call it "the sequester" like everyone else. It's "sequestration." That's actually a noun.

Thanks for the info - and the language tip, I seriously wondered about that, because I've seen both and didn't know which was correct. (Although amusingly, a White House-issued fact sheet I tracked down through the above link uses "the sequester"...)

Return to “Legal Employment”