Advice needed on leveraging offer after recent interview

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jlas000

Advice needed on leveraging offer after recent interview

Postby jlas000 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:07 pm

Just wanted to get some input on if it is too soon to try and get a decision on my internship interview. This past Friday I interviewed with a local DA for a year long internship. I was told that they would make a decision by next Friday (2/8), but hopefully sooner. I received an offer today to intern for the summer with the Federal Defender, which said to let them know whether I accept or have another offer by Wednesday. The DA internship is my first choice because it is a year long, could turn into something upon graduation, pays, and is more in line with my career hopes, while the Federal Defender is only for the summer and does not pay. Do you think it is too soon to try and get a decision from the DA since I only interviewed this past Friday? Could I ask the Federal Defender for more time? Thanks in advance for your input!

Lady Heather

Re: Advice needed on leveraging offer after recent interview

Postby Lady Heather » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:55 pm

If you need to reply to the fed defender by this Wednesday, you should call the DA today. Let them know you received an offer today that requires an answer in two days. Explain that the DA's office is your first choice and you would jump at the opportunity if it was presented. I would avoid mentioning that the competing option is crim. defense, however.

Return to “Legal Employment”