ADA pay in NY

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

ADA pay in NY

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:08 pm

We know it sucks. In NY, depending on the office, it is starting ~60K with great benefts, not the worst hours, and a good loan repayment program if you stick it out for ten years. Here is the thing - I can't find ANYWHERE how much an ADA makes after 3, 5, and 10 years, in any of the New York offices. It is really a shame. Work at a DA's office is a very serious career possibility for me right now. I love the field. But it would kill me to discover that after 10 years I would still be stuck at 70K/yr.

I don't frequent this site that much so if this has been covered, or if the info can be obtained anywhere, kindly (or, in whatever fashion you choose) please send me there.

Edit: for any of the NY DA's offices, not just NYC. Namely Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx, Nassau, Suffolk.

gdane

Re: ADA pay in NY

Postby gdane » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:12 pm

http://manhattanda.org/salary-and-benefits

It says that "periodic raises" are given when the budget allows. Here in Miami the SAO starts you off at 40k and gives you a 3-4% yearly increase.

Sorry friend, but after 10 years you probably still won't be making bank unless you get promoted really high up, become a DA, or leave.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:26 pm

gdane wrote:http://manhattanda.org/salary-and-benefits

It says that "periodic raises" are given when the budget allows. Here in Miami the SAO starts you off at 40k and gives you a 3-4% yearly increase.

Sorry friend, but after 10 years you probably still won't be making bank unless you get promoted really high up, become a DA, or leave.

OP here, thanks for the reply. I have of course looked at that website as well as the sites for each of the respective offices. I don't expect to be making "bank," but 100K is absolutely not unreasonable especially considering the pay scale that police officers and some other public workers make.

But, I guess what I'm getting at, and perhaps that quote *does* answer it, is there is no set pay scale? It just seems to make no sense...

Rocío

Postby Rocío » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:13 pm

gdane wrote:http://manhattanda.org/salary-and-benefits

There's no salary step scale for the ADAs in New York like there is for Legal Aid Society, so it's really difficult to try to obtain this type of salary information for the various offices. I'm sure that supervising attorneys in the DA offices do decently, but regular trial DAs aren't going to have an enviable salary. That doesn't mean it won't be a livable salary, though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:53 pm

When I interviewed with DANY I was told it would still be $60,500 even after 3 years. Not sure if there's a bump after that. Similarly, Miami SAO also said the $40,000 starting is what you'll be making even at your third year

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:01 pm

OP here again, thanks for the further responses.

It doesn't surprise me then that it was hard to find this information, if that it is the case that after 3 years as an ADA you are still making the ~60K. I imagine they don't want to advertise that.

usfvictor

Postby usfvictor » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:13 pm

I am sure a news website has that information for New York. For example, in FL there's a news story every year about it, here's the most recent database(as an example):

http://www2.tbo.com/fact-finder/government-salaries/

RPK34

Postby RPK34 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:35 pm

60k isn't horrible. DA's in Boston start at 35k, which is just pathetic on the legislature's part.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When I interviewed with DANY I was told it would still be $60,500 even after 3 years. Not sure if there's a bump after that. Similarly, Miami SAO also said the $40,000 starting is what you'll be making even at your third year

The bold is incorrect. I currently work for the Miami SAO. Its 40k to start, with periodic bumps as you get promoted.
40K starting
41K when you go to juvinlle
43K when you go to Felony
45 is when you prosecute 2nd degree felonies
48 when you prosecute first degree felonies

Most people are at the 45K right around the 3 year mark. There are other ways to nudge the amount up by taking supervising positions while moving up. Also, lol at 3-4% annual increase. That hasn't happened in years.

Sorry to hijack, I know this is about NY ADA pay, but I'd rather not have that misinformation out there for people who may be looking at both offices.

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:32 pm

edit: reading fail.

iShotFirst

Postby iShotFirst » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:When I interviewed with DANY I was told it would still be $60,500 even after 3 years. Not sure if there's a bump after that. Similarly, Miami SAO also said the $40,000 starting is what you'll be making even at your third year

The bold is incorrect. I currently work for the Miami SAO. Its 40k to start, with periodic bumps as you get promoted.
40K starting

Most people are at the 45K right around the 3 year mark. There are other ways to nudge the amount up by taking supervising positions while moving up. Also, lol at 3-4% annual increase. That hasn't happened in years.

Sorry to hijack, I know this is about NY ADA pay, but I'd rather not have that misinformation out there for people who may be looking at both offices.

Great, thanks for this information.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

40K starting

Didn't mean to misinform, it's what I was told during my interview. Good to hear that it does increase, albeit slightly.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

40K starting

Didn't mean to misinform, it's what I was told during my interview. Good to hear that it does increase, albeit slightly.

I'm the anon who works there. In your interviewer's defense 43K isn't that much different than 40K. You'd also be shocked at how little the higher ups in the office know about the entry level people.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

40K starting

I'm the anon who works there. In your interviewer's defense 43K isn't that much different than 40K. You'd also be shocked at how little the higher ups in the office know about the entry level people.

Also seems like Miami was really insistent on "This is literally no money, MAKE SURE that you are willing to commit for three years for this pittance," etc. They seemed to reeeallyyy wanted to impress upon the interviewee the sacrifices that would have to be made (and I can understand because they said they had been burned by people breaking commitments in previous years).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Also seems like Miami was really insistent on "This is literally no money, MAKE SURE that you are willing to commit for three years for this pittance," etc. They seemed to reeeallyyy wanted to impress upon the interviewee the sacrifices that would have to be made (and I can understand because they said they had been burned by people breaking commitments in previous years).

Yeah, Ms. Rundle really stressed the lack of money in return for the rewards working there like training, exit options, etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:04 am

Is anyone still waiting to hear about offers for Miami SAO? I interviewed a month ago with Ms. Rundle and was told I'd hear by the end of February which is...... tomorrow

gdane

Postby gdane » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is anyone still waiting to hear about offers for Miami SAO? I interviewed a month ago with Ms. Rundle and was told I'd hear by the end of February which is...... tomorrow

You might get a few bites if you post your question here.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=155423&start=1750

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:26 pm

Just to clear up some info in his thread. I work at the Miami SAO. We have not received raises for 8 years and, thanks to Gov Scott believing that 40k is an exorbitant salary, actually had a 3% pay cut two years ago. KFR has been lobbying hard for pay raises and her staff is working to cut costs that can be redirected towards salaries - but we do work for the state and the legislature has been very hostile. She was able to trim budgetary fat and give some an unexpected bonus last year though. I know she and some attorneys are also creating more of the supervisory positions for attorneys so that there is more room for promotional positions (these are being created to address the rate at which attorneys are leaving, as posted by he other users above). I will say that I LOVE working here though. Anyways, just wanted to he sure to clear up potential misinformation. Also - 40k in Miami does go farther than 60k in NY, and there's no state income tax.

On phone, pardon my spelling errors. Also, I am not the same anon user as the previous posters.

gdane

Postby gdane » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just to clear up some info in his thread. I work at the Miami SAO. We have not received raises for 8 years and, thanks to Gov Scott believing that 40k is an exorbitant salary, actually had a 3% pay cut two years ago. KFR has been lobbying hard for pay raises and her staff is working to cut costs that can be redirected towards salaries - but we do work for the state and the legislature has been very hostile. She was able to trim budgetary fat and give some an unexpected bonus last year though. I know she and some attorneys are also creating more of the supervisory positions for attorneys so that there is more room for promotional positions (these are being created to address the rate at which attorneys are leaving, as posted by he other users above). I will say that I LOVE working here though. Anyways, just wanted to he sure to clear up potential misinformation. Also - 40k in Miami does go farther than 60k in NY, and there's no state income tax.

On phone, pardon my spelling errors. Also, I am not the same anon user as the previous posters.

What are the benefits like? What would you say is the best one?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:01 pm

By benefit do you mean health insurance and such? $50/month for "Baller pdiddy health insurance" as my doctor calls it. 4 credit unions last I checked, paid sick and vacation totals 4 weeks a year starting if I recall. As far as environment is concerned the staff and office in general is very supportive. If you have the brains for leadership roles you will get them. The lifestyle is pretty relaxed - I rarely see attorneys spending countless hours at their desks past COB. Obvious trial experience right away. Miami has low COL so 40k isn't living grand, but you can afford a nice little apartment in Brickell which is the best place to live IMHO. Thanks to a deflated market I bought a small apt after working here a few years (not in brickell tho :( ) without a doubt I could not have done this in higher COL areas. My apt is nice, near a pond with ducks, and in a quiet area.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gdane

Postby gdane » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:05 pm

Thanks for the information. I currently live in Miami (suburbs though) and thought that moving closer to the SAO would be best if I end up working there. Nice to know that it's affordable to live in the area.

usfvictor

Postby usfvictor » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:By benefit do you mean health insurance and such? $50/month for "Baller pdiddy health insurance" as my doctor calls it. 4 credit unions last I checked, paid sick and vacation totals 4 weeks a year starting if I recall. As far as environment is concerned the staff and office in general is very supportive. If you have the brains for leadership roles you will get them. The lifestyle is pretty relaxed - I rarely see attorneys spending countless hours at their desks past COB. Obvious trial experience right away. Miami has low COL so 40k isn't living grand, but you can afford a nice little apartment in Brickell which is the best place to live IMHO. Thanks to a deflated market I bought a small apt after working here a few years (not in brickell tho :( )

No it doesn't lol once you get away from the city its not bad, but Miami does not have a low COL. Moderate to High COL is more like it. However, he is right on the 40K and deflated market, although it is picking up and prices have increased on rentals.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:16 pm

usfvictor wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:By benefit do you mean health insurance and such? $50/month for "Baller pdiddy health insurance" as my doctor calls it. 4 credit unions last I checked, paid sick and vacation totals 4 weeks a year starting if I recall. As far as environment is concerned the staff and office in general is very supportive. If you have the brains for leadership roles you will get them. The lifestyle is pretty relaxed - I rarely see attorneys spending countless hours at their desks past COB. Obvious trial experience right away. Miami has low COL so 40k isn't living grand, but you can afford a nice little apartment in Brickell which is the best place to live IMHO. Thanks to a deflated market I bought a small apt after working here a few years (not in brickell tho :( )

No it doesn't lol once you get away from the city its not bad, but Miami does not have a low COL. Moderate to High COL is more like it. However, he is right on the 40K and deflated market, although it is picking up and prices have increased on rentals.

Miami has low COL compared to other big cities - I lived in Brickell in a new apartment on the 17th floor of the building only a block from the water with a freaking awesome view for 1200/month (maybe its a little more now, but not much). I ate my breakfast in the morning on my balcony with a direct view of the bay. Then I walked my happy self a few blocks to the metro and rode it to work. Effortless commute. And brickell has a million bars right downstairs so theres always something to do. I can't think of another place where my low salary can get you this QOL

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:25 pm

Lots of Miami SAO people in this NY thread, I thought I would ask a question: how do you see your exit options after 3 or 4 years as an ASA there? Is DOJ possible?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:By benefit do you mean health insurance and such? $50/month for "Baller pdiddy health insurance" as my doctor calls it. 4 credit unions last I checked, paid sick and vacation totals 4 weeks a year starting if I recall. As far as environment is concerned the staff and office in general is very supportive. If you have the brains for leadership roles you will get them. The lifestyle is pretty relaxed - I rarely see attorneys spending countless hours at their desks past COB. Obvious trial experience right away. Miami has low COL so 40k isn't living grand, but you can afford a nice little apartment in Brickell which is the best place to live IMHO. Thanks to a deflated market I bought a small apt after working here a few years (not in brickell tho :( ) without a doubt I could not have done this in higher COL areas. My apt is nice, near a pond with ducks, and in a quiet area.

I'm the other newer ASA in this thread. I'll add to this by saying that you advance faster here than in other offices. You'll be trying felonies by the end of your 2nd year in most cases. Based on my experience and talking to friends in other offices, it takes a lot longer to get to that level. People are potential trying murders by the end of their 3rd or 4th year.

Can I request that a mod take my posts and the other ASA's posts and move them into a MiamiSAO thread? I feel like we're getting a little off topic.

Return to “Legal Employment”