Masters in Biotech, MBA, both, or neither after law school?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
SDviaVA

Masters in Biotech, MBA, both, or neither after law school?

Postby SDviaVA » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:33 pm

Which one would be better for my career?

I have and undergraduate degree in biotechnology and I worked for 6 years in labs in the biotech industry between undergrad and law school. My ideal job right after law school would be as a patent attorney at the USPTO or working at the FDA. Long term I would like to be more involved in the business side of things such as regulatory compliance, transactional work, or mergers and acquisitions.

I would plan to a take MBA/MS classes at night and on the weekends after law school. Would the return on investment of either or both of these degrees would be worth the time/money investment?

KidStuddi

Re: Masters in Biotech, MBA, both, or neither after law school?

Postby KidStuddi » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:06 am

No additional degrees will advance your career as an attorney once your have a JD, with the possible exception of a tax LLM from a handful of schools.

If you want to achieve your goals, you're probably better off spending those nights and weekends you planned to spend in a classroom doing your day job.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:13 am

Agreed, given your BioTech background, you can do all of those jobs (M&A, Patent Attorney, Regulatory Compliance, transactional work) without the MBA or MS.

Honestly, the greater difficulty is deciding what you want to do. You probably can't be an M&A/Patent/Regulatory attorney. You probably need to pick something. Granted, you'll probably touch on some of the other areas, but there is a fair amount of specialization in all three areas.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:35 am

a patent attorney at the USPTO

What exactly do you mean by this? The only "attorney" positions at the USPTO are at the solicitor's office, but the number of positions is very few I've never seen them hire graduates right out of law school.

SDviaVA

Postby SDviaVA » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
a patent attorney at the USPTO

What exactly do you mean by this? The only "attorney" positions at the USPTO are at the solicitor's office, but the number of positions is very few I've never seen them hire graduates right out of law school.

Sorry, I meant a patent examiner.

TTRansfer

Postby TTRansfer » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:21 am

Going to take a masters in Biotech to go into patent prosecution, IMO. I had no luck with my science BS in the patent prosecution market. Those saying he'll be fine with the BS should realize that the prosecution side of things really wants masters and above. Bio and chem folk need the PhDs. A biotech grad with experience would be fine with a masters. Much more difficult with the BS.

Black-Blue

Postby Black-Blue » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:52 am

The above post is correct. I should add that the requirements for being an examiner is even more strict, and I would think that a PhD is required or almost required now to become an examiner for most biotech fields.

For FDA law, you don't need a masters, but getting one might help.

As for MBA, I don't think it's relevant to any of the career routes you've listed.

target

Postby target » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:18 pm

Black-Blue wrote:The above post is correct. I should add that the requirements for being an examiner is even more strict, and I would think that a PhD is required or almost required now to become an examiner for most biotech fields.

For FDA law, you don't need a masters, but getting one might help.

As for MBA, I don't think it's relevant to any of the career routes you've listed.

Agree with the tech requirement for patent examiner. Re FDA: They probably care more about compliance/regulatory than patent/technical experience, so getting a master won't help you much.

Agent

Postby Agent » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:42 pm

With some exceptions, I expect those in the bio/chem arena to struggle at landing work in the private sector unless they have a PhD, a decent legal education (factors include law school and law GPA), and some other positive factors (w/e, fit, reg #, networking skills, etc.).

And no one in the bio/chem arena should expect to land an examiner gig these days—especially without a PhD. Sorry.

+1 to that KidStuddi comment.

Return to “Legal Employment”