Non-traditional internship hunt for 1L summer bad grades

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Non-traditional internship hunt for 1L summer bad grades

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:18 pm

So here goes. I have below median grades at a T2, but I am very wealthy and well connected in local politics. Obviously, no debt graduating for me.
I hate certain kinds of legal work, but really, really like work i have done in political strategy, policies, PR, internal affairs. I realize I would be much happier working at a lobbying firm or in state/local government as a mid level administrator or project manager focusing on political issues. Many of the people employed in the positions I want to eventually work in have JDs, but don't do much "lawyering".

I would be able to obtain decent legal internships as well through my connections. I am not sure whether to "tough it out" with one this summer, or throw myself in as a law student interning in a somewhat different field. No, I am not dropping out because having the JD as a nice fall back piece of paper isn't breaking the bank for me, and from what I understand it will "look nice" in this field assuming I already have substantial pull with the right people.
Since I already have serious assets, I don't mind making 50K or so for a while before I move up the food chain so to speak.

I will not be a good student graduating, so I want to make the most of my connections and the talents I do have working in a government/policy setting.

Please, no drop out advice. The JD will come in handy.

stillwater

Re: Non-traditional internship hunt for 1L summer bad grades

Postby stillwater » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:20 pm

I love the modesty.

If you are actually very wealthy, then do whatever you want.

Anonymous User

Re: Non-traditional internship hunt for 1L summer bad grades

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:23 pm

I am not so wealthy that never need to work, but wealthy enough that law school does not hurt paying for.

Return to “Legal Employment”