3L callback and bar deadline

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

3L callback and bar deadline

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:59 pm

Yo, I'm a 3L, still jobless, but lucky enough to get a call back this week at a firm after doing a phone screener with them a few days ago. As you can imagine I'm pretty pumped about this, however after researching the bar app in their state just for the heck of it - I discovered that the C&E app (which is $1000+) is due on like 3/7 (no exceptions).

Thus, I'm wondering, would it be a good idea to mention this to the firm I interview with this week so I can hopefully hear back from them quickly? Or, would that possibly give them another reason to ding me knowing that I haven't signed up for the bar yet and won't be able to take the July bar in their state if I miss the deadline? Thx.

Anonymous User

Re: 3L callback and bar deadline

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yo, I'm a 3L, still jobless, but lucky enough to get a call back this week at a firm after doing a phone screener with them a few days ago. As you can imagine I'm pretty pumped about this, however after researching the bar app in their state just for the heck of it - I discovered that the C&E app (which is $1000+) is due on like 3/7 (no exceptions).

Thus, I'm wondering, would it be a good idea to mention this to the firm I interview with this week so I can hopefully hear back from them quickly? Or, would that possibly give them another reason to ding me knowing that I haven't signed up for the bar yet and won't be able to take the July bar in their state if I miss the deadline? Thx.

Bump.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Sure.

Talar

Postby Talar » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:47 pm

Not enough information. Do they think you are looking in other markets? Do you have connections to the market, etc?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:51 pm

They didn't ask if you had already applied? I get this Q a lot. They will probably ask.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:52 pm

Talar wrote:Not enough information. Do they think you are looking in other markets? Do you have connections to the market, etc?

I would also like more info

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:13 am

rad lulz wrote:
Talar wrote:Not enough information. Do they think you are looking in other markets? Do you have connections to the market, etc?

OP here, I'm kinda in a weird situation. I'm from the Midwest, however the market is a insular city in the SE near where I go to school. I do have limited ties to the city (some family, friends), but not much. I'm pretty surprised I made it this far to be honest. Anyways, I plan on taking the bar where I'm from in the Midwest if worst comes to worst and I don't get a job before grad, so having this interview was a bit of a surprise to say the least.

Also, I would imagine that this firm would think that I'm also looking elsewhere and that I'm not tied to there particular state/mkt given my resume/background. Moreover, somewhat concerning during the phone interview I had last week was that the partner said there firm sorta moves slow and they don't seem to be in a huge rush to hire someone very soon- there also looking at other candidates too (however I got the cb e-mail the next day so mb that's not completely true?).

Anyways, I'm still not sure I want to give them an easy way to ding me if I essentially tell them that they have to decide on me soon if they want me to take the July bar. But at the same time they should prolly know that I'm not signed up yet for the bar b/c of the $$ and that the sooner they tell me if I have the job the better.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

OP here, I'm kinda in a weird situation. I'm from the Midwest, however the market is a insular city in the SE near where I go to school. I do have limited ties to the city (some family, friends), but not much. I'm pretty surprised I made it this far to be honest. Anyways, I plan on taking the bar where I'm from in the Midwest if worst comes to worst and I don't get a job before grad, so having this interview was a bit of a surprise to say the least.

Also, I would imagine that this firm would think that I'm also looking elsewhere and that I'm not tied to there particular state/mkt given my resume/background. Moreover, somewhat concerning during the phone interview I had last week was that the partner said there firm sorta moves slow and they don't seem to be in a huge rush to hire someone very soon- there also looking at other candidates too (however I got the cb e-mail the next day so mb that's not completely true?).

Anyways, I'm still not sure I want to give them an easy way to ding me if I essentially tell them that they have to decide on me soon if they want me to take the July bar. But at the same time they should prolly know that I'm not signed up yet for the bar b/c of the $$ and that the sooner they tell me if I have the job the better.

They may not know how much the bar costs now. They almost assuredly don't if it's some small outfit that doesn't deal with this stuff often.

I would bet money on it that they would ask, especially if you have been trying to make clear how committed you are to the state/city or whatever.

If asked, I'd say you've started it (and you're gonna want to start that right away) and you plan on being able to meet the March 7 deadline. Hopefully this will clue someone in. I don't think you ought to give them a reason to ding you by telling them you need a decision before the bar.

It's a tough situation though and I'm sure there's a reasoned argument for the other side.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:39 am

what is C&E app? Sorry I am worried that the bar exam I am taking might have it too. Thanks!

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:what is C&E app? Sorry I am worried that the bar exam I am taking might have it too. Thanks!

Although I suspect you actually know this: The OP means C&F, or character and fitness. All bar exams have these, yes, though the requirements/how they're administered vary by state.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:35 am

Thanx for the advice guys....I'm pretty sure I'll mention the bar quandary I'm in during the cb (I'll ask do they have any "advice on whether I should pay the fee if I don't hear back from them in time" as a way of subtly asking them for a deadline.

If they ding me for that then it just wasn't meant to be....:-/

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:Thanx for the advice guys....I'm pretty sure I'll mention the bar quandary I'm in during the cb (I'll ask do they have any "advice on whether I should pay the fee if I don't hear back from them in time" as a way of subtly asking them for a deadline.

If they ding me for that then it just wasn't meant to be....:-/

It's a bold move, and I'd be sure to tread carefully, but it should be understandable. I'd definitely stress that you're working on it/close to completion or whatever if/when it comes up.

Return to “Legal Employment”