Models & Carboys

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273234
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Models & Carboys

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:00 pm

I don't see what all the negative hype is about. One who makes realistic, pragmatic decisions about where to attend law school, and where to practice, will reap the benefits [w/ moderate hard work; think undergrad x's 1/5]. Not T14, but close thereto; not top 10%, but close thereto; headed to a secondary market to be a 6figgajigga, and completely satisfied with the decision to shell out six figures myself. The dream of Models & Bottles lives on guys and gals. Share your anonymous success stories to turn these #humblebrag haters around:

User avatar
dowu
Posts: 8334
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Re: Models & Carboys

Postby dowu » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I don't see what all the negative hype is about. One who makes realistic, pragmatic decisions about where to attend law school, and where to practice, will reap the benefits [w/ moderate hard work; think undergrad x's 1/5]. Not T14, but close thereto; not top 10%, but close thereto; headed to a secondary market to be a 6figgajigga, and completely satisfied with the decision to shell out six figures myself. The dream of Models & Bottles lives on guys and gals. Share your anonymous success stories to turn these #humblebrag haters around:

Tag

NYstate
Posts: 1566
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:44 am

Re: Models & Carboys

Postby NYstate » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I don't see what all the negative hype is about. One who makes realistic, pragmatic decisions about where to attend law school, and where to practice, will reap the benefits [w/ moderate hard work; think undergrad x's 1/5]. Not T14, but close thereto; not top 10%, but close thereto; headed to a secondary market to be a 6figgajigga, and completely satisfied with the decision to shell out six figures myself. The dream of Models & Bottles lives on guys and gals. Share your anonymous success stories to turn these #humblebrag haters around:


No one has been telling people that ending up close to top 10% at a T20 is an automatic disaster. The problem is expecting to get top 10% and realistically NEEDING top grades to get a job that will repay debt.

So your story isn't relevant for most 0Ls facing the decision of paying sticker. In fact, many people go to schools assuming they will work hard and be in the top of their class, but it doesn't work out for 90% of the class.

And, what kind of a brag is this? Just a plain #bragbrag.

~sunynp

Anonymous User
Posts: 273234
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Models & Carboys

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:33 pm

T2 at sticker, top 15%, no LR

transfer to T1 in California at sticker

2L SA in secondary market through mass mail

User avatar
TTRansfer
Posts: 3796
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:08 am

Re: Models & Carboys

Postby TTRansfer » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:12 pm

mawdles and bawdles

Anonymous User
Posts: 273234
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Models & Carboys

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:I don't see what all the negative hype is about. One who makes realistic, pragmatic decisions about where to attend law school, and where to practice, will reap the benefits [w/ moderate hard work; think undergrad x's 1/5]. Not T14, but close thereto; not top 10%, but close thereto; headed to a secondary market to be a 6figgajigga, and completely satisfied with the decision to shell out six figures myself. The dream of Models & Bottles lives on guys and gals. Share your anonymous success stories to turn these #humblebrag haters around:


Got a couple 1L SA positions lined up, which is amazing.
But I am almost paying sticker at a T-14 with UG debt (15k). Feel like that still isn't winning law school:( thought 12 weeks of 3k a week as a 1L and 2L would make me CLOSE to debt free... nope, will still be at 150k in bebt (not including interest)

EDIT: thought your initial post was about taking big scholly and getting biglaw, you go to a T20 and got biglaw? Is that unheard of at your school?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273234
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Models & Carboys

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:41 am

Let us know how your model and bottle lifestyle is going 1 year into your biglaw job.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273234
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Models & Carboys

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:39 pm

Life is graded on a curve. Caveat Emptor.

models and bottles.

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: Models & Carboys

Postby 005618502 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Let us know how your model and bottle lifestyle is going 1 year into your biglaw job.


Anonymous User wrote:Life is graded on a curve. Caveat Emptor.

models and bottles.


Best Anon uses ever!!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273234
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Models & Carboys

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:34 pm

In my observations here and in real life, the single biggest guarantor of employment is... an electrical engineering background. Unfortunately it's not something one who lacks that can easily remedy.

EE background + decent grades at a TT (top half) will give you a decent shot at biglaw (i.e., you will get several interviews at Loyola PLIP for example). Take a look at the bios of patent and EE guys in 100K+ paying firms.

Frankly, as long as you're not at the bottom of your class you will be employed at graduation or soon after, even if you end up a small patent shop making ~60K like a friend of mine from a TTTT (you may have to take the patent bar to increase your chances).

You'd think with numbers like that, EEs would be flooding law school, but they remain the rarest of majors, at least from looking around in my IP and patent classes. I think it's because EEs in industry are already comfy in their jobs making $80K - why bother.

So while law school is a huge gamble for most, if you have an EE background, and get into a decent school (and you should, if you're smart enough for an EE degree), it's a significantly better investment than for most. As a result, much of the TLS conventional wisdom regarding the awfulness of the legal market and risks of unemployment doesn't apply to you.

User avatar
mephistopheles
Posts: 1947
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:43 am

Re: Models & Carboys

Postby mephistopheles » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:even if you end up a small patent shop making ~60K like a friend of mine from a TTTT



nothing about this says models and bottles.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273234
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Models & Carboys

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:09 pm

[OP here] The comment about work required should read "1.5," not ,"1/5." Also, my intention was to lighten the mood on a Saturday morning. I was referring to the lifestyle; my peers and I find plenty of time to enjoy ourselves, mostly on the weekends; some go out 3-4 times a week, and remain higher in the class than myself. Despite the plethora of pessimistic comments to the contrary, happiness is certainly attainable in law school, and shortly thereafter. During law school, we still have our weekends, breaks, and most importantly, summers, which can be used to bring in great mid and big law SA salaries--hourly wages that likely surpass their salary equivalents held by the majority of your non-LS recent college graduate friends. [Not] soon enough I'll be headed back home to a market where "biglaw" asks an associate for 60 hours a week (give or take), in exchange for low six-figures. This was accomplished with a deliberated, calculated decision on where to attend LS, moderate to hard work (think 6 hrs/day 5 days/wk for the first 75% of the semester until finals roll around). In sum, it's really not all that bad for those of us who actually want to be lawyers. The material is "intellectually challenging," irrespective of whether that correlates with "interesting." The law is at times fascinating, and at times analogous to pulling teeth, but what professional occupation isn't?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273234
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Models & Carboys

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:35 pm

mephistopheles wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:even if you end up a small patent shop making ~60K like a friend of mine from a TTTT



nothing about this says models and bottles.


Sure. But relying on my (possibly mistaken) understanding of the premise of this thread, I thought I'd provide another positive angle to balance out the grim tales of unemployed T14s so prevalent here.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273234
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Models & Carboys

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:So while law school is a huge gamble for most, if you have an EE background, and get into a decent school (and you should, if you're smart enough for an EE degree), it's a significantly better investment than for most. As a result, much of the TLS conventional wisdom regarding the awfulness of the legal market and risks of unemployment doesn't apply to you.


Worked for me. Should hit 350k for 1700 realized hours this year at my boutique, though my situation is unusual. Butterfaces and poptops?

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: Models & Carboys

Postby 005618502 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So while law school is a huge gamble for most, if you have an EE background, and get into a decent school (and you should, if you're smart enough for an EE degree), it's a significantly better investment than for most. As a result, much of the TLS conventional wisdom regarding the awfulness of the legal market and risks of unemployment doesn't apply to you.


Worked for me. Should hit 350k for 1700 realized hours this year at my boutique, though my situation is unusual. Butterfaces and poptops?


350k for 1700 hours? I dont think I believe you.... I mean are we talking partner?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273234
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Models & Carboys

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:46 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So while law school is a huge gamble for most, if you have an EE background, and get into a decent school (and you should, if you're smart enough for an EE degree), it's a significantly better investment than for most. As a result, much of the TLS conventional wisdom regarding the awfulness of the legal market and risks of unemployment doesn't apply to you.


Worked for me. Should hit 350k for 1700 realized hours this year at my boutique, though my situation is unusual. Butterfaces and poptops?


350k for 1700 hours? I dont think I believe you.... I mean are we talking partner?


1700 realized hours--i.e., billed, net of writeoffs, though I'm pretty efficient. (The firm actually has a clawback provision if clients don't pay, but I'm told it's never been invoked.)

For compensation purposes, effectively non-equity partner.

User avatar
androstan
Posts: 2568
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:07 am

Re: Models & Carboys

Postby androstan » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:05 pm

Itt law school works out for some people. Irl at least 50% of law students get pwnd and another 20% struggle.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.