Telling an internship you'll be unable to work certain days

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
llachans

Telling an internship you'll be unable to work certain days

Postby llachans » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:58 pm

Hey guys, I want to buy Bonnaroo tickets (it's June 13-16) but I wouldn't be able to work an internship those days. I'm a 1L if it makes a difference. I don't have an offer yet but tickets are on sale now. Do I buy? Do I wait? Do I tell the internship right away I can't work those days?

Thanks.

stillwater

Re: Telling an internship you'll be unable to work certain days

Postby stillwater » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:07 pm

llachans wrote:Hey guys, I want to buy Bonnaroo tickets (it's June 13-16) but I wouldn't be able to work an internship those days. I'm a 1L if it makes a difference. I don't have an offer yet but tickets are on sale now. Do I buy? Do I wait? Do I tell the internship right away I can't work those days?

Thanks.

stop being a hippie. it's time to be corporate.

purr se

Postby purr se » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:52 pm

Buy the tickets. When you get an offer, tell employer immediately that you have a prior commitment on those days but that you're able to make them up at the end of the summer. Do good work, take care of anything that needs to be handled while you're gone in advance, do good work when you return, and make sure to make up the days at the end. If time off ends up being a deal-breaker for employer, you can always sell the tickets.

Full disclosure: I'm a 3L who is upset about having to skip most of festi season to study for / take the bar.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:35 pm

Is this an unpaid internship? If so, just say you can't work those days. No one will care much.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:35 pm

kalvano wrote:Is this an unpaid internship? If so, just say you can't work those days. No one will care much.

Bingo

Postby 09042014 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:37 pm

Even if it's a paid internship, unless it's an SA (or something very comparable), just tell them a couple weeks before that you can to take off.

llachans

Postby llachans » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:08 pm

Thanks guys! That makes me feel so much better!

Return to “Legal Employment”