Résumé Fonts?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
dixon02

Re: Résumé Fonts?

Postby dixon02 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:57 am

Nothing wrong with choosing something besides Times New Roman. In fact, I don't think TNR looks particularly good on a resume (although it is obviously fine). There's good advice here...playing it safe is the key. Lots of good alternatives have been suggested here. Only one I see mentioned that I would not use is Courier, which I think does stand out and looks ridiculous. I'm partial to Garamond myself; as mentioned above, it's narrower than the other fonts suggested.

Dany

Postby Dany » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:00 pm

Garamond

goldeneye

Postby goldeneye » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:01 pm

I agree with SBL earlier. I've been going with Comic Sans and have seen an uptick in responses to my resume being sent around. It's forwarded around one office several times now which is good exposure.

Sheffield

Postby Sheffield » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:41 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Times New Roman.

Substance over style. Don't be that guy.

+1. Anything else is the equivalent to 16 point stencil.

Dany

Postby Dany » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:58 pm

Sheffield wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Times New Roman.

Substance over style. Don't be that guy.

+1. Anything else is the equivalent to 16 point stencil.

This is dumb.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:06 pm

do you want your resume to stand out because of font? In which case your resume may either immediately be put into the trash heap, or it could get read ( and run the risk of an auto toss[ in which case your chance at sticking out got swatted back in your face faster than a diquembe mutumbo/ shaq shot block?]). Or do you want your resume to stand out because of your superior qualifications/ past experiences for the job??

Personally, id rather have a dull and boring looking resume, that fits the standard Times New Roman look, but stands out because the work history, qualifications, etc. fit the job description better.

To me, choosing anythign other than TNR or whatever similar style font is putting you dangerously on the slipperly slope of acting and presenting yourself like a used car saleman, or late night tv. pitchman. but its totally up to you.

Dany

Postby Dany » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:09 pm

northwood wrote:do you want your resume to stand out because of font? In which case your resume may either immediately be put into the trash heap, or it could get read ( and run the risk of an auto toss[ in which case your chance at sticking out got swatted back in your face faster than a diquembe mutumbo/ shaq shot block?]). Or do you want your resume to stand out because of your superior qualifications/ past experiences for the job??

Personally, id rather have a dull and boring looking resume, that fits the standard Times New Roman look, but stands out because the work history, qualifications, etc. fit the job description better.

To me, choosing anythign other than TNR or whatever similar style font is putting you dangerously on the slipperly slope of acting and presenting yourself like a used car saleman, or late night tv. pitchman. but its totally up to you.

No one is advocating picking a weird-looking font that stands out.

Sheffield

Postby Sheffield » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:17 pm

Compromise? Use whatever font you want in the body of the email and TNR for the rez. Cool, eh.

Cue up Everybody Be Happy song.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:21 pm

northwood wrote:To me, choosing anythign other than TNR or whatever similar style font is putting you dangerously on the slipperly slope of acting and presenting yourself like a used car saleman, or late night tv. pitchman. but its totally up to you.

How are the non-TNR fonts discussed here not "whatever similar style fonts"? Do you even know what the fonts being suggested look like?

BelugaWhale

Postby BelugaWhale » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:25 pm

Dany wrote:
northwood wrote:do you want your resume to stand out because of font? In which case your resume may either immediately be put into the trash heap, or it could get read ( and run the risk of an auto toss[ in which case your chance at sticking out got swatted back in your face faster than a diquembe mutumbo/ shaq shot block?]). Or do you want your resume to stand out because of your superior qualifications/ past experiences for the job??

No one is advocating picking a weird-looking font that stands out.

this is seriously stupid

the font on your resume is in no way going to impact your job chances. Of course, dont do comic sans, but if people are seriously afraid of using garamond as opposed to TNR, then y'all are really overestimating how much readers of your resume care about you.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:25 pm

I don't think people pick other fonts because they want to look unique - they do it because the information fits better (spacing etc.) with a different font. You don't want too much or too little white space.

TooOld4This

Postby TooOld4This » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:46 pm

It really doesn't matter. As long as it is a relatively normal serif or sans serif font (and not courier) no one will care. Resumes are far less standard than some people here seem to think. As long as I can read the content easily, I don't care. Now if the content is bad or shows poor judgment . . .

BearState

Postby BearState » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:36 pm

Garamond/Trebuchet for header (name, address, etc); TNR for body.

lawschool?s

Postby lawschool?s » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:54 pm

I use Tahoma actually, but I used a pre-made resume format from word a long time ago and adapted it.

jrf12886

Postby jrf12886 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:55 pm

Try "Georgia." It's edgy but shows off your unique personality.

dannynoonan87

Postby dannynoonan87 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:15 pm

Thanks for all of the helpful responses. I bit the bullet and went with TNR. I liked Garamond, but disliked the way "Pennsylvania" looked when italicized.

FantasticMrFox

Postby FantasticMrFox » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:35 pm

Cambria 11.5

Return to “Legal Employment”