Good situation to be in for 1L summer, how to handle it?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

What would you?

accept both judge offers
9%
take the best judge offer, say no to the other
33%
reject both judges, seek $$$ for the summer
12%
fu, I'm really sick of people like you on TLS
45%

Total votes: 33

Anonymous User

Good situation to be in for 1L summer, how to handle it?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:51 pm

I have two judge offers for the summer (one court of appeals, the other federal district). They both want an answer next week. I had one NLJ250 callback about ten days ago, have a Vault 100 callback the week after next, and I had four OCI interviews with firms in either category that went well, but haven't done callback yet (from everything I can tell). I'm not sure how to handle the judge offers, but assuming I don't know about any firm by next week what would you do? Accept one and no to the other, and assume a firm comes through for half the summer? Take both for security? Or no to both, and really roll the dice with firms?

I also have several other things going (application to be legal intern with in-house at bank).

I'm top couple of people at a T50 school.

Anonymous User

Re: Good situation to be in for 1L summer, how to handle it?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:22 pm

What about the plan of accepting both, still moving forward with the firms, and then reneging depending on whether there is a firm offer?

target

Postby target » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:32 pm

just curious, is the court of appeal federal or state?

I don't really see the benefits of accepting both. Say no to one judge now, and contact your firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:57 pm

It's a state court of appeals. If I only do one I will accept the federal judge (geographically closer, I can commute; will carry weight within state; my understanding is that it will go further out of state). I'm leaning toward this option since I have a feeling something will work out, and if not I could always get something to cover the other half (research for a prof.). One of the firms I interviewed with only hires for the entire summer, so if I get that I will either have to turn them down or renege on the judge.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:06 am

Do not accept offers with both judges and, if you do accept one of the offers, do not renege on it.

Whether to accept an offer with a judge, though, really just depends on what you want to get out of the summer. A lot of people find it to be a really useful experience, and it may provide you with a good writing sample to use during 2L OCI (if the judge allows you to do so with redactions). If you have zero interest in litigation or really want to hold out for the money, I wouldn't worry too much about turning down both judicial internship offers. If the firms don't work out, it sounds like you can probably find something else to do for the summer (and, in terms of 2L OCI, I don't think anyone really cares that much what people did 1L summer unless it was particularly noteworthy or perhaps a summer at a similar firm).

I'm not sure I understand your last post - are the internships with the judges only for half the summer? If so, it you could accept one of the offers and then inform the firms that you are only available for the other half of the summer (which probably means withdrawing your application to the firm that hires only for the full summer). If the judges are expecting you to intern for the full summer and you accept, you should withdraw your firm applications at that point. (You really shouldn't renege on a judge later and a firm would be rightfully annoyed if they found out you left your application open after you had accepted an internship with a judge, which they know you can't renege on. Don't want to screw up your 2L SA prospects.)

OutCold

Postby OutCold » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:23 am

You may want to check your school's policy on reneging. If we reneged on a judge, they threatened to not let us participate in OCI.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:03 pm

Accept with the federal judge, but tell him/her you may want to split. Then try to split the summer with one of the firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:45 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:Accept with the federal judge, but tell him/her you may want to split. Then try to split the summer with one of the firms.

I corresponded with assistant for COA. Her understanding was that I accepted the position (I said I would love to take it, but could I get back to them about the dates). So I'm going to say no to federal judge, say yes officially to COA (figure out dates later), and hope that I can snag one of the firms for half the summer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:23 pm

This is the OP. I accepted the Federal judge. I have two Big law callbacks in the next two weeks, and I'm praying to god that one will work out and I can accept and get back to just focusing on school.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:57 am

OP, what is your secret? Why are you such a superstar?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:08 am

manofjustice wrote:OP, what is your secret? Why are you such a superstar?

Nothing special. Sorry if the tone rubs people the wrong way. Job market is tough and doing everything I can to end up in a good spot.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Nothing special. Sorry if the tone rubs people the wrong way. Job market is tough and doing everything I can to end up in a good spot.

Your non-response seems to indicate you have non-fantastic grades. In that case, you do something fantastic. Or you have fantastic grades. I am failing to see how you're unable to respond to this question... anonymously.

The tone inspires me. It rubs me the right way.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:59 am

manofjustice wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Your non-response seems to indicate you have non-fantastic grades. In that case, you do something fantastic. Or you have fantastic grades. I am failing to see how you're unable to respond to this question... anonymously.

The tone inspires me. It rubs me the right way.

I'm top couple people in my class and had relevant job experience pre-law school.

Return to “Legal Employment”