Run for Secondary Journal Board for 3L?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Run for Secondary Journal Board for 3L?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:53 pm

I'm a 2L and am lucky enough to have an SA at a midsize firm in a secondary market. I'd be happy to work there for a few years after graduation (so long as everything goes well this summer), but I also think I am going to test the waters a bit in July/August and send applications to some BigLaw firms in bigger markets.

Also, for what relevance it's worth, I CALI'd legal writing as a 1L and CALI'd my 2L writing course. I got published this year as well.

Is it worth it to nominate myself for a board position (definitely not EIC) like Note Editor or Associate Editor? Or should I just relax for 3L, emphasize the CALI's and getting published, and go from there?

Thanks.

PS: I promise I'm not trying to humblebrag here. I just feel that everything I've disclosed is necessary for appropriate recommendations.

Anonymous User

Re: Run for Secondary Journal Board for 3L?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:59 pm

I think if you want to make it into a bigger market having a elected position on LR will help, so I'd do it.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:03 pm

I question whether biglaw is going to care whether you are on eboard or not. My suspicion is that its impact is likely minimal at best.

Uncle.Joe

Postby Uncle.Joe » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I think if you want to make it into a bigger market having a elected position on LR will help, so I'd do it.

He is talking about a secondary journal. Its my understanding that these positions are largely only of use for clerking.

target

Postby target » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:58 pm

if you make the move, will you send out apps in next aug/sep or post-grad?

Return to “Legal Employment”