Moving Between Offices

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Moving Between Offices

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:52 pm

Does anyone have any insight on how receptive firms are about moving from a branch office to NYC? If I get hired at one, but want to go to another in the future, is that normally difficult? Thanks in advance.

okinawa

Re: Moving Between Offices

Postby okinawa » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:13 pm

Completely depends on the firm.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:17 pm

I know of at least one person who moved from a satellite office to NYC post-offer but pre-graduation for personal reasons. I think it does depend on the firm though. I'd imagine its harder at a firm that's offices are individual profit centers (eg Baker) as opposed to a centralized pool.
Either way, I wouldn't ask before you have an offer.

KidStuddi

Postby KidStuddi » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:27 pm

okinawa wrote:Completely depends on the firm.

And the practice group.

And for that reason, this is one question you really don't want to ask during your screener / callback. At worst it shows disinterest in the location and can only hurt you.

If it's important enough to you that it will sway your decision, at least save the question until after you've gotten an offer and you make a return visit.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:14 pm

As a general rule, it's easier to move from smaller to larger offices because (1) they have more space, (2) they have more practice areas.

Depending on how long you're at the firm, you may or may not have to interview with the new office. Assuming you're in good standing, the interview will likely be a formality.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:26 pm

I did this. requested the move post SA, after I got a permanent offer. Firm allowed it because my preferred practice group wasn't really present in the satellite office.

definitely depends on the firm as everyone has said above. I think most firms are anti-moving, especially the less-national, more regional type firms.

Keep in mind that you'll (probably) have to take another bar exam. Reciprocity usually doesn't kick in until you've got about 4 or 5 years of experience (I think? depends on the states)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:40 pm

I think the near universal answer is that it depends on whether there is a need for an attorney at your seniority in your practice area.

Return to “Legal Employment”