Bringing Up Common Acquaintance At Interview

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Bringing Up Common Acquaintance At Interview

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:53 am

I'm interviewing with someone tomorrow who is an acquaintance of my acquaintance. Acquaintance said I should name drop him to interviewer - told me to tell him he said hi.

What's the best way to work this in without making it seem incredibly forced and awkward?

ManOfTheMinute

Re: Bringing Up Common Acquaintance At Interview

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:56 am

Get them to unknowingly ask about that connection... how can you steer the conversation to the shared interest that garned that connection?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:02 am

Acquaintance is board member of local bar association. Interviewer is recently resigned former board member. The only way I can see getting him to unknowingly ask about that connection is to bring up my general networking activities within the city, which would be fine except said bar association is LGBT. It would be a little awkward to bring that up out of nowhere just to induce a question relating to our connection. Especially because I'm interviewing with two people at the same time.

Balthy

Postby Balthy » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:07 am

I would go through 99% of the interview normally. Make him/her like you without the common link. Then, as you're about to leave, before the hand shake, say something like, "Oh, and X says hi." Small talk about common link, thank him/her, leave.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:31 am

Sometimes they ask things like why our firm? And then you can say, so-and-so spoke so highly of the culture here.

Return to “Legal Employment”