Judicial Internship- Ties for OCI?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Judicial Internship- Ties for OCI?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:35 pm

Hi everyone. I'm deciding between two judicial internships. One is in a city/state I have no ties to which I may want to work in later. The other is near my school, so I would save a considerable amount of money if I stayed here (much lower cost of living, have people to carpool with, could stay in my apt.) I know 1L jobs don't matter too much, but would it help me establish ties and look better for OCI if I took the job in the city I want to work in? Or does this not matter at all?

Thanks! :)

patrickd139

Re: Judicial Internship- Ties for OCI?

Postby patrickd139 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hi everyone. I'm deciding between two judicial internships. One is in a city/state I have no ties to which I may want to work in later. The other is near my school, so I would save a considerable amount of money if I stayed here (much lower cost of living, have people to carpool with, could stay in my apt.) I know 1L jobs don't matter too much, but would it help me establish ties and look better for OCI if I took the job in the city I want to work in? Or does this not matter at all?

Thanks! :)

I can only offer an anecdote, but I'm 100% certain I got at least one callback because I had clerked in those firms' city during 1L summer. Like you, I had no previous ties and spent a bit of extra money in cost of living to take the externship.

Again, anecdotal experience, not a rule.

Return to “Legal Employment”