how can I choose between these two 2L summer jobs?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

how can I choose between these two 2L summer jobs?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:53 pm

I accepted a Federal PD 2L summer job by the end of last month. Unexpectedly the following day I received a plaintiff-side law firm ( well-regarded regionally) offer for a summer paid internship position in the same area. I asked the firm whether I could split the summer because I don't like to renege an accepted offer. The firm said no. I have always targeted at searching a plaintiff-side firm to work for because I have been interested in this type of work. However, after interviewing with the Federal PD office, I found maybe I can also try criminal defense work. How should I choose? The plaintiff-side firm may extend a permanent offer, but it's not guaranteed. Then is it going to be better if I choose to work for them after I graduate (they also have a graduate fellowship program) rather than working for them during this summer? ( I am studying in a T-14 east coast school, but both employers are in the west coast.)

A12345

Re: how can I choose between these two 2L summer jobs?

Postby A12345 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:55 pm

chance at permanent offer >>>>>>>>>> no chance at offer

look out for yourself

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:03 pm

I think the firm is the far better choice, even if its not a 100% chance.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:54 am

A12345 wrote:chance at permanent offer >>>>>>>>>> no chance at offer

look out for yourself

Lady Heather

Postby Lady Heather » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:57 am

Does the Fed PD let you speak in court? Is it San Diego Fed? If not, choosing the firm is almost certainly the answer here. You could do a clinic or extern at a local PD office during the semester.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:24 am

Well, I will assist preparing for trials if there is any. It's not San Diego FPD, but people in the office are very nice and friendly. They will hire entry level attorneys after law students complete a federal clerkship for a year.

I know now it's super competitive to obtain a federala clerkship; however, I still plan to apply for one. ( Hopefully I will get one.)

I am concerned that I might burn the bridge to local PD jobs too if I renage the accepted offer since I believe PDs would know each other locally, and I believe some FPDs used to work in the local PD offices. Will I be preferred if I apply for local PD permanent positions with the FPD experiences on the resume?

Lady Heather

Postby Lady Heather » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:42 am

Some Fed PD work is better than no PD work. But, for a 2L summer, not practicing (under a state bar rule) is not great.

At the offices I've worked at, the local PDs did not have relationships with the federal defenders. Unless you told the local PD office that you reneged, no one there would probably even know. You accepted the position three weeks ago. It's not a big deal to call them now and let them know you will be working elsewhere.

Return to “Legal Employment”