RAing Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

RAing

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:39 am

Hi I am RAing for one prof part time and another full time. The full time gig is a very famous prof.

Would this look bad for firms bec I am just doing research this summer and working two profs?

Icculus

Silver

Re: RAing

Post by Icculus » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hi I am RAing for one prof part time and another full time. The full time gig is a very famous prof.

Would this look bad for firms bec I am just doing research this summer and working two profs?
Are you a 1L? If so it doesn't matter.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:06 pm

Icculus wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hi I am RAing for one prof part time and another full time. The full time gig is a very famous prof.

Yes, Im a 1L.

Im worried firms will ask me why 2 profs in a negative fashion, the problem was I had to accept the part time at the non famous prof before the famous one made me an offer

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Icculus wrote:

Yes, Im a 1L.

Im worried firms will ask me why 2 profs in a negative fashion, the problem was I had to accept the part time at the non famous prof before the famous one made me an offer
It won't matter so long as you are able to discuss your work, what you learned, what you found interesting, etc...

Nailjohnj

Bronze

Post by Nailjohnj » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:31 pm

While I only RA'd for one Prof, I had more positive interview talks with alums because of working for him over my other work (pro bono work). Its all about spin and showing how the experience will still benefit the firm. I spun the experience with the prof (respected in Securities and Corp) into an SA position with a midsized firm that pays above market. Also, the prof has offered to reach out to some judges he knows when I start looking for clerkships.

Moral of this story - RAing can be a huge benefit if you spin it right + it doesn't really matter what work you have 1L year as long as you are working.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”