Info on Quinn Emanuel Mixer-interviews?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Info on Quinn Emanuel Mixer-interviews?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:23 am

Didn't go, got a callback and a offer later in the summer when I sent in my resume/transcript. I had quite good grades from HYS though so YMMV.

+1

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:25 pm

OP here; thanks all for the results. I've talked to some QE associates from my school and given their advice and that of the thread, I'd like to examine other firms while still considering QE. Biglaw Assoc-V-20, could you maybe suggest some lit firms you think might be a better choice than QE for trial experience with average grades from hys? Thanks again for advice offered.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here; thanks all for the results. I've talked to some QE associates from my school and given their advice and that of the thread, I'd like to examine other firms while still considering QE. Biglaw Assoc-V-20, could you maybe suggest some lit firms you think might be a better choice than QE for trial experience with average grades from hys? Thanks again for advice offered.

Absolutely no biglaw firms are going to give you trial experience. If you're really looking for the most prestigious place to get trial experience, look at some of the 20/30ish person NYC firms like Friedman Kaplan, Lankler Siffert, Morvillo (maybe, it's changing), and others in other cities. Median from HYS probably wont do it, though, without a clerkship.

Bottom line is that as a junior associate at a biglaw firm you're going to be doing a mix of doc review, legal research, and legal writing. At Quinn, maybe your're doing doc review, legal research, and legal writing for a case that's closer to going to trial than others, but you're not going to be sitting at counsel table watching witnesses testify.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:27 am

Fresh Prince wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Went to the one this evening they didnt give out sandals or anything (heard they had done this in the past). It was horrible because our career services pushed it way to hard and over 160 1Ls showed up with less than 20 attorneys. I agree that it seemed completely meaningless. they give you business cards to hand to the attorneys and I think this is a "check off you came and werent beyond talking to weird." Also, attorney got up and while speaking literally said they were the best litigation firm in the country.... humble

LOL, well then the best litigation firm in the country lost massive trials against Orrick and MoFo.

Alpha as fuck MoFo bros unequivocally CRUSH the SF bar scene STYLIN on dem Orrick bros doe

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here; thanks all for the results. I've talked to some QE associates from my school and given their advice and that of the thread, I'd like to examine other firms while still considering QE. Biglaw Assoc-V-20, could you maybe suggest some lit firms you think might be a better choice than QE for trial experience with average grades from hys? Thanks again for advice offered.

Absolutely no biglaw firms are going to give you trial experience. If you're really looking for the most prestigious place to get trial experience, look at some of the 20/30ish person NYC firms like Friedman Kaplan, Lankler Siffert, Morvillo (maybe, it's changing), and others in other cities. Median from HYS probably wont do it, though, without a clerkship.

Bottom line is that as a junior associate at a biglaw firm you're going to be doing a mix of doc review, legal research, and legal writing. At Quinn, maybe your're doing doc review, legal research, and legal writing for a case that's closer to going to trial than others, but you're not going to be sitting at counsel table watching witnesses testify.

+1 on this. QE does have a few advantages with respect to litigation though. (1) the partners actually do go to trial more than partners at other firms. you are not the one going to trial but at least your boss is, and that's something. (2) the whole firm does litigation. litigation is not a filler/support practice area, like it is at some of thecorporate focused firms. (3) the chance of making (non-equity) partner is significantly higher, assuming you would be happy as a non-equity partner. eg 4 new NY partners in 2012 with a summer class of 18. if you compare that ratio (new partners to new first-years) it is much higher than firms like cravath (5 new partners in 2012 with summer class of over 100).

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:the chance of making (non-equity) partner is significantly higher, assuming you would be happy as a non-equity partner. eg 4 new NY partners in 2012 with a summer class of 18. if you compare that ratio (new partners to new first-years) it is much higher than firms like cravath (5 new partners in 2012 with summer class of over 100).

Is being non-equity partner at Quinn really any materially different than being a senior associate at another firm?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:04 am

bk1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:the chance of making (non-equity) partner is significantly higher, assuming you would be happy as a non-equity partner. eg 4 new NY partners in 2012 with a summer class of 18. if you compare that ratio (new partners to new first-years) it is much higher than firms like cravath (5 new partners in 2012 with summer class of over 100).

Is being non-equity partner at Quinn really any materially different than being a senior associate at another firm?

good question, and one that probably generalizes across many firms that have non-equity partners. there are obvious similarities, and there is a reason why i added the non-equity qualifier. i'll take a shot at it but am no expert:

(1) from what i can see, non-equity partner if anything extends the senior associate timeline by a few years. some people want the option of as many years of biglaw pay as possible before being forced out, and non-equity gives you a chance at those extra few years.

(2) having "Partner" on your business card likely makes it more plausible to develop new business, which can then help you become an actual equity partner. i would feel much more confident going to new pitches and whatnot as a partner rather than an associate.

(3) non-equity partner is a firm's explicit endorsement of your value and legal skills beyond promotion to senior associate. not sure if QE specific but I think a part of the partnership gets by supporting the rainmaker partners by running various aspects of cases, etc. Being a highly paid long-term employee (as opposed to part owner) is not so bad and might even be preferable for some if you like the work and can tolerate the hours.

(4) lots of firms are trying to grow IP lit practices (somewhat dated, but check out --LinkRemoved--). incidentally, the lawyer talked about in that article moved again shortly after to skadden. it is very easy to get IP lit work at QE even w/o a technical background. many associates try to avoid it because the hours are worse and they find the subject matter boring, but about 40% of the firm's business is in IP and it is a huge money maker for the firm. pure speculation, but if you make non-equity partner focusing on IP at QE I imagine other V100 firms might be willing to take you on as a lateral partner.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:50 am

I didn't know QE had non-equity partners.

And yes, for all the pros of that, there are a ton of cons.

Postby 005618502 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:02 pm

Part of email from Quinn:

Thanks so much for attending the recruiting event at (insert name of restaurant) last week. Our lawyers had a terrific time meeting you and your classmates, and we hope you had a great time meeting our partners and associates. We write to answer some common questions about our process and to let you know what steps to take if you would like to pursue a summer position with Quinn Emanuel next year.

Stay Classy Quinn

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 26, 2015 4:01 pm

i realize this is old but i wanted to clear this up.

a good friend of mine was slightly below median at a T14, IP, and got a callback directly from this mixer thing. Following callback, she got an offer for 2L summer 1 hour later- all before i had even finished my last 1L final (different school).

At least from her experience: this is mixer thing can be incredibly valuable for those interested in quinn.

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Tue May 26, 2015 9:11 pm

005618502 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
aces wrote:It's what it sounds like. You go to the party, chat up some attorneys, and if you make a good impression, it could help you get a callback when you formally apply in the summer. Dress code is whatever you want-- Quinn is known for their super-casual dress code at work, but I imagine you'll still want to wear at least nice slacks and a button-down (or the female equivalent) for this event (although there were plenty of folks in suits and ties there as well). At NYU/Columbia, their median offer was somewhere around the top 20%, although with a higher variance than most firms (indicating that they care about more than grades and that you shouldn't count yourself out if your grades aren't great).

Culture-wise, Quinn is... Quinn. They're one of the few firms that really does have a pretty distinct firm culture, which I'm sure you'll discover if you go to the mixer.

is this the general consensus? wondering about this

I went this evening and I saw 1 or 2 dudes besides attorneys who tried to pull off jeans, it didnt work. Almost everyone wore either khakis or slacks and a button up. Dont wear a tie or jacket though

I wore jeans, got offer

The reason to apply to Quinn is to have at least one offer in hand at OCI (assuming they're still doing early offers)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue May 26, 2015 9:22 pm

Though I think this isn't as applicable, because I'm not sure QE did the mixers everywhere this year.

cookiejar1

Postby cookiejar1 » Tue May 26, 2015 10:47 pm

The Quinn hate is intense. You can take all of the negative statements made about Quinn in this thread and generally apply it to good handful of firms yet Quinn for some reason or another gets a disproportionate amount of flak. Yes, there's a lot of fucking cool aid at Quinn but Quinn is as smug about themselves as Cravath is . . . yet people don't look at Cravath litigation summers and think, "wtf why didn't you susman?"

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Wed May 27, 2015 4:14 am

Just s reminder, you don't need to have gone to the mixer/reception thing to get an offer

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Wed May 27, 2015 6:20 am

Icculus wrote:I went to one last year. It was awkward, especially with all the old guys in jeans and blazers talking about how great the dress code is.

Lmao

parkslope

Postby parkslope » Wed May 27, 2015 3:32 pm

cookiejar1 wrote:Yes, there's a lot of fucking cool aid at Quinn but Quinn is as smug about themselves as Cravath is . . . yet people don't look at Cravath litigation summers and think, "wtf why didn't you susman?"

This.

A couple of points here:

1. People are taking law firm propaganda way too seriously. Fancy law firms proclaim themselves the best all the time! Who cares whether Quinn does it? Law students should be more skeptical and searching. Anyone who seriously thinks Quinn is more preftigious or better for litigation than Cravath or S&C or Skadden is way, way too drunk on kool-aid.

2. The discussion of elite litigation is often strange to me. Yes, some firms that do a lot of litigation are more trial-oriented than others are. Kirkland, Quinn, Boies, W&C do more trial work than most of the V10 in NY probably. But I'm not sure, at a junior associate level, whether that translates into much difference. Quinn and Kirkland, in particular, have extremely intense, hard-driving cultures that make it a less pleasant experience than Cravath or S&C. You might--MIGHT--get more trial experience, but at what cost?

Anonymous User wrote:(2) the whole firm does litigation. litigation is not a filler/support practice area, like it is at some of thecorporate focused firms.

This is bizarre to me. The V10 firms each have hundreds and hundreds of associates and dozens of very highly compensated partners doing litigation. How is it really a "support area"? Sure, corporate (and really, by that, one means M&A, not capital markets) might get these firms more in the news, due to the business cycle, but that is not really relevant to a junior associate. Maybe estates & trusts or tax could be seen as "support areas" because they are ancillary to deals, but the litigation practices at big firms exist separately from the corporate work and do a great deal of litigation totally divorced from the day-to-day dealmaking.

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Wed May 27, 2015 4:18 pm

Quinn actually likes it when people take the "casual dress code" thing at face value and come casual. I don't know why they like this, it's really fucking stupid, but multiple people have told me they actually really like it when people come casually dressed to interviews. Playing up their dress code so much is just emblematic to me of what a miserable place it must actually be to work. Good luck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu May 28, 2015 10:06 pm

Did I miss something here? Did Quinn skip UVA this year? Did any non-YHS rising 2Ls have Quinn come this spring?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:02 pm

From my experience, just take it easy. Don't fret the casual dress code. Show up, don't embarrass yourself, and be the most fun and professional version of yourself possible.

Return to “Legal Employment”