Reneging on Offer

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Reneging on Offer

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:54 pm

I am a transfer student. I struck out at OCI and then got an offer at a public defender's office for the summer. However, I recently managed to get an offer for the summer from a regional biglaw firm (midlaw it might be called). Should I renege on my public defender offer (which I accepted in January) or no?

I am a 2l. I am currently beginning the process of applying for federal clerkships and hope to work in a big law firm or, ideally, a litigation boutique in the long run. That being said, my next favorite career would be public defender. Also, I would choose the public defender route over a decent amount of big law firms.

Advice?

hephaestus

Re: Reneging on Offer

Postby hephaestus » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:59 pm

Renege. I don't even think it's a question.

YankeesFan

Postby YankeesFan » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:00 pm

Can you split?

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:02 pm

ImNoScar wrote:Renege. I don't even think it's a question.

just remember that if you get arrested, you're gonna want to hire your own lawyer

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:05 pm

Yes, renege.

the lantern

Postby the lantern » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am a transfer student. I struck out at OCI and then got an offer at a public defender's office for the summer. However, I recently managed to get an offer for the summer from a regional biglaw firm (midlaw it might be called). Should I renege on my public defender offer (which I accepted in January) or no?

I am a 2l. I am currently beginning the process of applying for federal clerkships and hope to work in a big law firm or, ideally, a litigation boutique in the long run. That being said, my next favorite career would be public defender. Also, I would choose the public defender route over a decent amount of big law firms.

Advice?

How is it even possible to want to do biglaw and be a public defender??? I am so confused. I think it is safe to assume that if you renege on the offer that you'll never get hired there. If you're talking about one of the big PD agencies, that might be a pretty big deal, especially since you're already an attractive candidate to them. Also, consider that once you go down the biglaw path, the PD isn't going to believe that you aren't some soulless corporate bloodsucker, so you might be closing the door on that career path for a while.

I'm not sure how others are confident enough to offer you advice given your status as a unique snowflake (I love helping the indigent but I also love taking massive sums of money from evil corporations to screw over people!). If you're comfortable saying goodbye to the PD for at least the foreseeable future, renege.

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:08 pm

PD is always available. Biglaw is never available. I would bet the PDs would think you were crazy if you didn't renege.

DON'T SPLIT. Clerkships are never certain, and splitting is precarious enough of a move without putting out a bat signal that you aren't fully committed to X practice area.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:09 pm

ImNoScar wrote:Renege. I don't even think it's a question.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:09 pm

renege. I think PD people will understand.

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:10 pm

the lantern wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am a transfer student. I struck out at OCI and then got an offer at a public defender's office for the summer. However, I recently managed to get an offer for the summer from a regional biglaw firm (midlaw it might be called). Should I renege on my public defender offer (which I accepted in January) or no?

Advice?

How is it even possible to want to do biglaw and be a public defender??? I am so confused. I think it is safe to assume that if you renege on the offer that you'll never get hired there. If you're talking about one of the big PD agencies, that might be a pretty big deal, especially since you're already an attractive candidate to them. Also, consider that once you go down the biglaw path, the PD isn't going to believe that you aren't some soulless corporate bloodsucker, so you might be closing the door on that career path for a while.

I'm not sure how others are confident enough to offer you advice given your status as a unique snowflake (I love helping the indigent but I also love taking massive sums of money from evil corporations to screw over people!). If you're comfortable saying goodbye to the PD for at least the foreseeable future, renege.

The whole "PD will not like big firm attorneys" thing is not true. I think it is a myth perpetuated by T14 career services to thin the biglaw herd and increase employment stats.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:12 pm

Eh, I don't think you can generalize about all PDs either way, but there are plenty out there who wouldn't be interested in a biglaw refugee - they want the true believers, and can hold out for them. (The PD in my state never even asks for grades, for instance. It really is about what you've done to show dedication to indigent defense.) Not that this is a reason for the OP not to renege, but it's worth keeping in mind he may be burning bridges.

the lantern

Postby the lantern » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:20 pm

TaipeiMort wrote:
the lantern wrote:

Advice?

The whole "PD will not like big firm attorneys" thing is not true. I think it is a myth perpetuated by T14 career services to thin the biglaw herd and increase employment stats.

Um. Whatever you say man. I'm telling you that if you have biglaw on your resume and you go into an interview with a PD office, they are going to mess with you just like a big law firm would mess with you if your resume was all public interest/do gooder type stuff. Maybe your experience is different, but as someone who worked for a big firm and is hired as a PD, I can tell you that I definitely had a hard row to sow (is that the right expression?) and if I didn't do 2 unpaid internships with the PD office I worked in, I feel pretty confident saying I wouldn't have even been interviewed.

I'd also wager that the person saying "I think PD people will understand" is mistaken as well. PD people will understand you're an asshole who wants to make lots of money and doesn't give a shit about anything but money. Real talk. I have definitely interviewed with PD people who thought I was fake.

The person saying "pd is always available" should try actually looking for a job as a PD.

I would think twice before I listen to anyone on this site (that includes me as well- since clearly I don't get your POV OP). From some of this shit, it is plain on its face you guys have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. It is seriously amazing how some of you are experts in law school admission and employment and your sole experience is reading about it on the internet.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:57 pm

the lantern wrote:Um. Whatever you say man. I'm telling you that if you have biglaw on your resume and you go into an interview with a PD office, they are going to mess with you just like a big law firm would mess with you if your resume was all public interest/do gooder type stuff. Maybe your experience is different, but as someone who worked for a big firm and is hired as a PD, I can tell you that I definitely had a hard row to sow (is that the right expression?) and if I didn't do 2 unpaid internships with the PD office I worked in, I feel pretty confident saying I wouldn't have even been interviewed.

I'd also wager that the person saying "I think PD people will understand" is mistaken as well. PD people will understand you're an asshole who wants to make lots of money and doesn't give a shit about anything but money. Real talk. I have definitely interviewed with PD people who thought I was fake.

The person saying "pd is always available" should try actually looking for a job as a PD.

I would think twice before I listen to anyone on this site (that includes me as well- since clearly I don't get your POV OP). From some of this shit, it is plain on its face you guys have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. It is seriously amazing how some of you are experts in law school admission and employment and your sole experience is reading about it on the internet.

I think you're right about the effect that biglaw/PD experience will have on hiring for the other (though I also don't think it's so unbelievable that someone would be interested in both biglaw and PD work). Anyway though, it isn't really relevant. OP prefers biglaw, and biglaw is more secure here, i.e. more likely to hire him/her after the summer than PD. In addition, in this economy it seems like someone who just kind of wants to be a PD, as a second choice, isn't going to have a lot of luck beating out the people who have dedicated themselves to it from the start. So renege is clearly the right choice.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:00 pm

the lantern wrote:
TaipeiMort wrote:
the lantern wrote:

Advice?

Um. Whatever you say man. I'm telling you that if you have biglaw on your resume and you go into an interview with a PD office, they are going to mess with you just like a big law firm would mess with you if your resume was all public interest/do gooder type stuff. Maybe your experience is different, but as someone who worked for a big firm and is hired as a PD, I can tell you that I definitely had a hard row to sow (is that the right expression?) and if I didn't do 2 unpaid internships with the PD office I worked in, I feel pretty confident saying I wouldn't have even been interviewed.

lol definitely true. TLS "wisdom" is like superstition: it's a waste of time to try and dispel it with reason.
Last edited by Hutz_and_Goodman on Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:02 pm

Two questions:
1) What do you really want to do? Be a PD or work in BigLaw?
2) What is the regional biglaw firm offer rate like?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:18 am

OP here. offer rate is about 5/7. However, I would be more interested in working here as an SA and then hopefully trading to a firm I would like better through 3l oci. I think I struck out for a couple reasons as a transfer but I am top 1% at new school and EIC elect of a secondary so I would hope to have better luck next time around.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. offer rate is about 5/7. However, I would be more interested in working here as an SA and then hopefully trading to a firm I would like better through 3l oci. I think I struck out for a couple reasons as a transfer but I am top 1% at new school and EIC elect of a secondary so I would hope to have better luck next time around.

A no offer would be ugly, but it sounds like you have a great chance to get a clerkship, so do whichever job you think you'd be happier in the long run. I think getting no-offered from your SA would be just as bad for your 3L OCI prospects as working for the PD would... but at least the firm pays, so reneg and make sure to sell the firm that you REALLY want to be there and do an above-and-beyond good job (be chill and sociable, hit all of your deadlines, make sure all of the work you turn in is polished, etc.).

dc2013

Postby dc2013 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:20 am

Renege!!! If you don't you are out of your mind. Any PD would tell you to do go work at the firm. As a 3L dealing with a bad legal market, I say that you will regret not taking the summer associate position.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:36 pm

OP here. Okay, so how exactly do I phrase my email without sounding like a douchebag?

BelugaWhale

Postby BelugaWhale » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Okay, so how exactly do I phrase my email without sounding like a douchebag?

you call them

Objection

Postby Objection » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:12 am

My god, you're so full of it with the "hope to land in big law." Almost no one actually hopes for big law. It's just something they do. Add in your interest in public defense, which is basically the opposite of big law in every way...do the work you enjoy, man.

I can understand lit boutique, but either you have no idea what big law lit is like or you're rationalizing being pressured into big law by pretending you like it.

purr se

Postby purr se » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:19 am

dc2013 wrote:Any PD would tell you to do go work at the firm.

Because they want to be able to give the spot you've reneged on to someone for whom it's not a second choice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:08 pm

OP here. not to hound on the topic, but if I call I say what exactly? I'm just a little embarrassed to be reneging in the first place and would like to minimize my general douchebaggery.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. not to hound on the topic, but if I call I say what exactly? I'm just a little embarrassed to be reneging in the first place and would like to minimize my general douchebaggery.

Anon because I'm somewhat embarrassed about my blatant lies.
I had an unpaid offer that I accepted for this summer (in city that's not my hometown) and later got a paid one in my hometown. So I told the unpaid one that I have a family emergency and have to be home this summer.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here. not to hound on the topic, but if I call I say what exactly? I'm just a little embarrassed to be reneging in the first place and would like to minimize my general douchebaggery.

Anon because I'm somewhat embarrassed about my blatant lies.
I had an unpaid offer that I accepted for this summer (in city that's not my hometown) and later got a paid one in my hometown. So I told the unpaid one that I have a family emergency and have to be home this summer.

This is, indeed, a little shameful. I had accepted an offer to volunteer for the DA's office and reneged for a firm 1L summer. I called and told them about the situation and they wished me luck. No lies, no family emergencies, no bullshit.

Seriously, don't be a dick about it, apologize for the inconvenience (it's still February, so it's not like they're hanging out to dry) and thank them for the opportunity.

Return to “Legal Employment”