Choosing between US Attorney's Office and Law Firm (2L)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Choosing between US Attorney's Office and Law Firm (2L)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:54 pm

Hi,

I am a 2L at a T10 law school.

I have a job offer with the US Attorney's office for the summer. I have also scheduled an interview with a top 100 law firm which is ranked towards the very bottom of the top 100.

My thoughts in terms of pros and cons: DOJ/USAO is prestigious, high quality work experience that will look very good to employers next year. On the other hand, the law firm specializes in litigation with a diverse array of practice areas in which I am very interested, the position is paid, and I may get an exploding offer after graduation, possibly saving me the trouble of having to look for a job next year.

Anyone have any thoughts on weighing these two alternatives and which might be a superior experience and better for long-term career prospects?

Advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

fatduck

Re: Choosing between US Attorney's Office and Law Firm (2L)

Postby fatduck » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:57 pm

i don't think you're using the term "exploding offer" correctly

afaik the chances of a USAO internship leading to full-time employment are pretty slim. can you split?

anon168

Postby anon168 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi,

I am a 2L at a T10 law school.

I have a job offer with the US Attorney's office for the summer. I have also scheduled an interview with a top 100 law firm which is ranked towards the very bottom of the top 100.

My thoughts in terms of pros and cons: DOJ/USAO is prestigious, high quality work experience that will look very good to employers next year. On the other hand, the law firm specializes in litigation with a diverse array of practice areas in which I am very interested, the position is paid, and I may get an exploding offer after graduation, possibly saving me the trouble of having to look for a job next year.

Anyone have any thoughts on weighing these two alternatives and which might be a superior experience and better for long-term career prospects?

Advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Take the firm job.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:10 pm

Can you elaborate on why?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:36 pm

Is this a Summer Associate position or one of those "Law Clerk" positions where they may, if the need arises, hire you at the end of the summer, though there's no guarantee.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:40 pm

If it were me, I'd take the job that might actually lead to permanent employment. I also don't think USAO is as prestigious as you think.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:44 pm

It is a summer associate position. Putting money aside, which position is likely to give me better experience? Would I have difficulty landing a job as a 3L having worked at the Department of Justice?

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It is a summer associate position. Putting money aside, which position is likely to give me better experience? Would I have difficulty landing a job as a 3L having worked at the Department of Justice?

Wow. Can you really not see that the SA is a much better option?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:52 pm

Based on all the info here (including NALP numbers), everyone has difficulty landing a job as a 3L, because there just isn't much 3L hiring going on.

What do you actually want to do long-term?
Last edited by A. Nony Mouse on Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:10 pm

I want to do litigation but I don't have a strong preference between the public and private sector. I would lean slightly towards the private sector.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:12 pm

So why do you resist taking the firm job (if you get it) (which is how your posts are coming across)?

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:14 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:So why do you resist taking the firm job (if you get it) (which is how your posts are coming across)?

because it's only a V100 firm

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:22 pm

fatduck wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:So why do you resist taking the firm job (if you get it) (which is how your posts are coming across)?

because it's only a V100 firm

Ah. I forget people care about stuff like this.

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:23 pm

How did you get an SA interview this late in the game? Did you mass mail in January? Connections... What happened during OCI? Feel free to PM me if you do not want to share with everyone.
As to your question, do not be silly, take the firm job. It is the most certain way towards post-graduation meaningful employment.

Citizen Genet

Postby Citizen Genet » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:24 pm

Take the firm position. Try to extern/intern with the USAO during Fall.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:53 pm

No future employer would ever question why you did not spend your 2L summer at an unpaid USAO internship. Many future employers will question why you did not spend your 2L summer as a summer associate. No future employer will consider the skills you gained from the USAO internship to make up for a lack of a firm summer associate position.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:04 pm

Ok, it sounds like there's a pretty clear consensus here. Basically I got a notification about this position through my school's CDO, which forwards information from firms that are still looking to hire 2Ls. I replied indicating that I was interested and I landed an interview. Question is, can I turn down the offer from the USAO a month after accepting it to take another job, now that I've already started with my background check? Any possible complications that might result from that? Of course that would be contingent on my getting the offer with the firm. Still, it would be good to know in advance.

wired

Postby wired » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Ok, it sounds like there's a pretty clear consensus here. Basically I got a notification about this position through my school's CDO, which forwards information from firms that are still looking to hire 2Ls. I replied indicating that I was interested and I landed an interview. Question is, can I turn down the offer from the USAO a month after accepting it to take another job, now that I've already started with my background check? Any possible complications that might result from that? Of course that would be contingent on my getting the offer with the firm. Still, it would be good to know in advance.

PM me for advice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:14 pm

I interned at a USA Office summer after 2L year over taking a firm position. Let me just say that I'm having trouble finding any meaningful post-grad employment now. I would take the SA position.

Return to “Legal Employment”