Bar Question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Bar Question

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:50 pm

I have a quick question. I may have messed something up here. On the bar C&F, it asks if I have been a party to a school disciplinary proceeding. I may have overlooked a small situation. I'm calling the school to see if I was a party to this. Assuming I was, and I failed to list this on my LS applications, how should I address this now? I want to be completely honest. Should I speak to the LS? Thanks.

iShotFirst

Re: Bar Question

Postby iShotFirst » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:14 pm

I had a possibly similar situation, I was given an official warning for some dorm stuff (lived in graduate housing 1L year), and never told the law school (didnt know i had to). I listed it on my bar app and then the law school contacted me asking what that warning was. I told them and they wrote me an official letter and put it in my record.

The way it was explained to me: the bar committee asks if we think you are a good and trustworthy person, etc, so we need to have everything in your file that you told them, otherwise it looks like we are vouching for you with incomplete knowledge.

So just notify the law school about the situation, if you dont, they will ask you once the bar committee sends your application to them. It doesnt matter either way.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:21 pm

iShotFirst wrote:I had a possibly similar situation, I was given an official warning for some dorm stuff (lived in graduate housing 1L year), and never told the law school (didnt know i had to). I listed it on my bar app and then the law school contacted me asking what that warning was. I told them and they wrote me an official letter and put it in my record.

The way it was explained to me: the bar committee asks if we think you are a good and trustworthy person, etc, so we need to have everything in your file that you told them, otherwise it looks like we are vouching for you with incomplete knowledge.

So just notify the law school about the situation, if you dont, they will ask you once the bar committee sends your application to them. It doesnt matter either way.

Thank you so much for this response. Who did you speak with at your law school about this? I'm going to call my undergrad and see if there is anything that needs to be disclosed tomorrow.

iShotFirst

Postby iShotFirst » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
iShotFirst wrote:I had a possibly similar situation, I was given an official warning for some dorm stuff (lived in graduate housing 1L year), and never told the law school (didnt know i had to). I listed it on my bar app and then the law school contacted me asking what that warning was. I told them and they wrote me an official letter and put it in my record.

Thank you so much for this response. Who did you speak with at your law school about this? I'm going to call my undergrad and see if there is anything that needs to be disclosed tomorrow.

I spoke to the registrar, then the Dean of Admissions, but like I said they contacted me so I didnt have to wonder who to tell. If you want to find out without telling your story just ask someone who certifies bar applications at your school.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:27 pm

iShotFirst wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I spoke to the registrar, then the Dean of Admissions, but like I said they contacted me so I didnt have to wonder who to tell. If you want to find out without telling your story just ask someone who certifies bar applications at your school.

Should I ask that certification person who I should speak with? I know exactly who that is. Thanks again I feel much better

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:36 pm

Also- what kinda if document did they want from you? Should I get a copy
Of my file?

iShotFirst

Postby iShotFirst » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:53 am

They didnt want any document, just an explanation. They asked so they could create the document to add to my file, that's all. Since you are talking about undergrad and it was before law school applications, they may want a record, but I wouldnt bother getting it until you talk to someone. Just talk to them. Its not a big deal.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:05 pm

I was told admission would put something in my file saying the small disciplinary action would not make a material difference and this would be sent to the bar. They also told me the bar might bring me before the C&F to explain why it wasn't disclosed earlier. Is this still nothing to worry about? The dean seemed to think it would be ok, just a hassle.

iShotFirst

Postby iShotFirst » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was told admission would put something in my file saying the small disciplinary action would not make a material difference and this would be sent to the bar. They also told me the bar might bring me before the C&F to explain why it wasn't disclosed earlier. Is this still nothing to worry about? The dean seemed to think it would be ok, just a hassle.

I think he meant might in the broadest possible sense of the word. Its far more important what you write on the bar application itself than the LS application. From what I have heard from lawyers who I spoke to about my C&F issues, it is incredibly unlikely that they would actually call you before a committee to discuss this - they may send you a letter asking for a written explanation though.

Of course, a lot depends on the type of infraction but from your post it seems like it was probably something very minor (especially if it was minor enough for you to overlook!). I would relax about this. Nothing you can do about it now regardless.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:52 pm

iShotFirst wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I was told admission would put something in my file saying the small disciplinary action would not make a material difference and this would be sent to the bar. They also told me the bar might bring me before the C&F to explain why it wasn't disclosed earlier. Is this still nothing to worry about? The dean seemed to think it would be ok, just a hassle.

I think he meant might in the broadest possible sense of the word. Its far more important what you write on the bar application itself than the LS application. From what I have heard from lawyers who I spoke to about my C&F issues, it is incredibly unlikely that they would actually call you before a committee to discuss this - they may send you a letter asking for a written explanation though.

Of course, a lot depends on the type of infraction but from your post it seems like it was probably something very minor (especially if it was minor enough for you to overlook!). I would relax about this. Nothing you can do about it now regardless.

Thanks for your help with this. I really appreciate all of your advice. The infraction is laughably minor. So it really seems like the worst case scenario is that I have to further elaborate on this to the bar at a later date? Do you know if this would delay my admission into the state bar?

iShotFirst

Postby iShotFirst » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:
iShotFirst wrote:

Thanks for your help with this. I really appreciate all of your advice. The infraction is laughably minor. So it really seems like the worst case scenario is that I have to further elaborate on this to the bar at a later date? Do you know if this would delay my admission into the state bar?

Yeah it shouldnt delay it, you may just get a request for more info.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:14 pm

Further question:

This is unbelievable. So it turns out I've had a million jobs since age 16. And on my resume to law school I mistated the years I worked at a job, e.g. I said 08 instead of 09. Also, inadvertently listed that I worked at an internship for a full year, when it was a half year. These were good faith oversights. What should I do here? I uncovered this during my application to the Bar which requests a full chronology since 16, including periods of unemployment.

iShotFirst

Postby iShotFirst » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Further question:

This is unbelievable. So it turns out I've had a million jobs since age 16. And on my resume to law school I mistated the years I worked at a job, e.g. I said 08 instead of 09. Also, inadvertently listed that I worked at an internship for a full year, when it was a half year. These were good faith oversights. What should I do here? I uncovered this during my application to the Bar which requests a full chronology since 16, including periods of unemployment.

Had similar situation as well, PM me

Return to “Legal Employment”