Choosing between summer externships

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which externship should I choose?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:56 pm

Large medical association
60%
Clerkship with circuit court judge
40%

Total votes: 5

Anonymous User

Choosing between summer externships

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:56 pm

TLS has saved my ass in a few prior situations, so I'm turning to you all again. I'm really conflicted on which of my two summer offers to choose. I know the traditional wisdom is "it doesn't matter, just do something law-related your first summer," but I'd appreciate any additional advice anyone can give.

Offer 1:
Externship with a large medical association (I'm interested in going into health law). Unpaid. Will work about 20-30 hours a week. Will have the opportunity to attend meetings with attorneys and doctors; create my own scholarly work and present it during a conference; will see different aspects of health law, not just one (i.e. regulatory).

Offer 2:
Clerkship with circuit court judge. Unpaid. Will work 15-20 hours a week. Will have the opportunity to sit in on court; will have the opportunity to do extensive research and writing; obviously will have the opportunity to get to know a judge well.

I know some people might think it makes sense to do both; however, I currently have a firm job doing non-legal work and it would be nice to keep it throughout the summer so I can at least make some money. I will also be taking a few summer classes.

Thanks for the help!

thesealocust

Re: Choosing between summer externships

Postby thesealocust » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:03 pm

It doesn't matter, just do something law-related your first summer.

This choice literally boils down to which you think you would prefer. I mean we could grab some coffee and talk about your feelings, but those are going to be the deciding factor here.

I guess if I were you I'd do offer 1 if you thought the experience would help you decide on your next move, or offer 2 if the lower time commitment sounded nice and/or you have a reason to think the judge would be great or you'd really like the work.

bk1

Re: Choosing between summer externships

Postby bk1 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:06 pm

thesealocust wrote:It doesn't matter, just do something law-related your first summer.

This choice literally boils down to which you think you would prefer. I mean we could grab some coffee and talk about your feelings, but those are going to be the deciding factor here.

I guess if I were you I'd do offer 1 if you thought the experience would help you decide on your next move, or offer 2 if the lower time commitment sounded nice and/or you have a reason to think the judge would be great or you'd really like the work.

+1

If you want to do health law I think #1 makes a lot more sense though it will be rougher on your time. Either it will help you decide or it will be a beneficial line on your resume to convey interest/experience in the field.

Return to “Legal Employment”