Chicago Housing

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
wildhaggis

Chicago Housing

Postby wildhaggis » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:53 am

Any Chicago associates have leads on good housing options in Chicago?

I know generally where to look, but thought I'd reach out to see if anyone had any information on specific places they've had good experiences with (i.e. places you know to be quiet, affordable, etc.).

Thanks in advance.

Anonymous User

Re: Chicago Housing

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:30 pm

Live in Gold Coast. It's super cheap for what it is, and a great place to live. (You can get the equivalent of a $5000 /month 1 BR apartment in Manhattan for less than half that in Gold Coast, it's an awesome area, and there are so many gold digging dimes everywhere at night.) If, for some reason, you want something a little cheaper, Lincoln Park and Wrigley are really fun areas.

wildhaggis

Postby wildhaggis » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:45 pm

If you don't mind, could you PM me any specific buildings you've heard good things about? There's so much in places like the Gold Coast and Lincoln Park I was curious if people had more specific recommendations.

greenchair

Postby greenchair » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:30 am

Don't live in Wrigley unless you like fratty.

Lincoln Park does not have a city feel, if that's what you are looking for. There are no skyscrapers. Much more neighborhoody, but with lots of nightlife and things to do.
Last edited by greenchair on Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wildhaggis

Postby wildhaggis » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:47 am

Thanks for the help guys.

Anyone else who wants to chime in, feel free.

I've done a fair amount of apartment searching, but it's nice to hear about specific buildings.

The number one thing I want is lack of neighbor noise. When I'm not at work, that's the last thing I want to deal with. You guys have any problems with this?

xiolablue

Postby xiolablue » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:28 pm

I think I posted this somewhere else but I am a law student in Chicago going out of town to intern this summer. Our place is in Logan Square, 2 br, 10 min walk to the blue line. 950/mo plus $50 if you want to park in the garage. Anyone interested can email. Yes its farther than your usual lincoln park but a super deal and still not a bad commute to downtown.

mrjohnsterman

Postby mrjohnsterman » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:10 pm

xiolablue wrote:I think I posted this somewhere else but I am a law student in Chicago going out of town to intern this summer. Our place is in Logan Square, 2 br, 10 min walk to the blue line. 950/mo plus $50 if you want to park in the garage. Anyone interested can email. Yes its farther than your usual lincoln park but a super deal and still not a bad commute to downtown.

Be careful if you look at Logan Square, there are some sketchy parts (there are some fine parts as well).

echooo23

Postby echooo23 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:42 am

I only moved to Chicago 6 months ago so take what I have to say with a grain of salt, but I find the Gold Coast and Lincoln Park too lacking in diversity for my tastes. Likewise for Lakeview (East especially). Wrigley is just too fratty, but so are parts of Lincoln Park. For the summer it's probably fine, and you probably want to be close to work anyway. But if you're looking for someplace where the Chinese restaurants don't serve crab rangoon, I'd look elsewhere. Where exactly? Not sure - I'm searching for a better neighborhood for my 2nd year. Maybe Andersonville, if it were a little more accessible by public transportation? Would be happy to take suggestions. Sorry to hijack your thread, OP.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:13 am

echooo23 wrote:I only moved to Chicago 6 months ago so take what I have to say with a grain of salt, but I find the Gold Coast and Lincoln Park too lacking in diversity for my tastes. Likewise for Lakeview (East especially). Wrigley is just too fratty, but so are parts of Lincoln Park. For the summer it's probably fine, and you probably want to be close to work anyway. But if you're looking for someplace where the Chinese restaurants don't serve crab rangoon, I'd look elsewhere. Where exactly? Not sure - I'm searching for a better neighborhood for my 2nd year. Maybe Andersonville, if it were a little more accessible by public transportation? Would be happy to take suggestions. Sorry to hijack your thread, OP.

If you mean ethnic and racially diverse, well most of Chicago isn't. If you are staying along the red line going north, you probably aren't going to find it until Uptown. Which is just south and east of Andersonville, so about as far. You might be better off trying West town neighborhoods like Ukrainian Village or Wicker Park. Bucktown maybe. But even those are still mostly gentrified or well on their way. Oldtown has some diversity but it's mostly pockets of poor next to rich areas. Probably not what you want. Lincoln Square is somewhat diverse, not really many black people, but hispanics and asians live there. Not really trendy, but a solid choice, and you can live near a brown line stop.

But if you want truly diverse areas you are pretty limited to Uptown, Edgewater and Rogers Park. There it's a true mix.

Return to “Legal Employment”