Go to Loyola PLIP with 2L SA?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
bigredforlaw

Go to Loyola PLIP with 2L SA?

Postby bigredforlaw » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:57 pm

I know there are a bunch of threads about going to PLIP as a jobless 3L, but I was wondering what everyone thinks about registering for PLIP in case you dislike your 2L SA and want to trade firms. Is the 3L hiring so few and far between that it's not worth the registration fee and writing cover letters if my 2L SA firm has a consistent 100% hiring rate? Does it make a difference that I am a few courses away from being patent bar eligible and only have an undergrad degree? I have never been to PLIP and don't know much about the hiring there so thanks in advance!

Anonymous User

Re: Go to Loyola PLIP with 2L SA?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:54 am

Interested.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:54 am

isn't the reg fee like $35 or something comically low? and hardly any of them require cover letters.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:01 am

What if you get no offered dude

bigredforlaw

Postby bigredforlaw » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:05 pm

I didn't know most firms do not require cover letters...thanks. The registration fee is a trivial $35, but if I decide to go I need to move a bunch of plans around in August so I need to decide soon. The firm I am going to has not no offered anyone in while but yeah I am a little worried that this summer might be the year. Is PLIP really the best bet for 3L hiring?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:06 pm

bigredforlaw wrote:I didn't know most firms do not require cover letters...thanks. The registration fee is a trivial $35, but if I decide to go I need to move a bunch of plans around in August so I need to decide soon. The firm I am going to has not no offered anyone in while but yeah I am a little worried that this summer might be the year. Is PLIP really the best bet for 3L hiring?

3L job search is an exercise in jumping at any chance, no matter how small.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:28 pm

rad lulz wrote:
bigredforlaw wrote:I didn't know most firms do not require cover letters...thanks. The registration fee is a trivial $35, but if I decide to go I need to move a bunch of plans around in August so I need to decide soon. The firm I am going to has not no offered anyone in while but yeah I am a little worried that this summer might be the year. Is PLIP really the best bet for 3L hiring?

This. Don't be stupid. This is your career. Pay the $35, make your plans, but if you get no offered and are preselected for PLIP, drop your plans and book a flight.

This is coming from a 3L PLIP attendee that landed several CBs and 2 offers from the interview program.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

This. Don't be stupid. This is your career. Pay the $35, make your plans, but if you get no offered and are preselected for PLIP, drop your plans and book a flight.

This is coming from a 3L PLIP attendee that landed several CBs and 2 offers from the interview program.

Good advice. Thanks. I know several people unsure about PLIP as a 3L. Does this change at all if going to PLIP would require canceling $$$ international travel and if you're in the top 20%/on LR? I know firms look at your performance during the summer rather than your grades when making hires, but hopefully high grades are some indication of good work ethic/product.

Sorry to change the topic, but is trading to a different firm than your 2L firm ever considered a bad thing? I'm concerned about this in a small legal market.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:36 pm

Can employers see who everyone that registered for this or only those that submit their resumes to them?

KidStuddi

Postby KidStuddi » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:41 pm

bigredforlaw wrote:I know there are a bunch of threads about going to PLIP as a jobless 3L, but I was wondering what everyone thinks about registering for PLIP in case you dislike your 2L SA and want to trade firms. Is the 3L hiring so few and far between that it's not worth the registration fee and writing cover letters if my 2L SA firm has a consistent 100% hiring rate? Does it make a difference that I am a few courses away from being patent bar eligible and only have an undergrad degree? I have never been to PLIP and don't know much about the hiring there so thanks in advance!

From your description of your credentials, it doesn't sound like there will be much of a market for you at an IP fair... What is your degree in exactly and what work experience do you have in a tech related field?

bigredforlaw

Postby bigredforlaw » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:21 am

KidStuddi wrote:
bigredforlaw wrote:I know there are a bunch of threads about going to PLIP as a jobless 3L, but I was wondering what everyone thinks about registering for PLIP in case you dislike your 2L SA and want to trade firms. Is the 3L hiring so few and far between that it's not worth the registration fee and writing cover letters if my 2L SA firm has a consistent 100% hiring rate? Does it make a difference that I am a few courses away from being patent bar eligible and only have an undergrad degree? I have never been to PLIP and don't know much about the hiring there so thanks in advance!

From your description of your credentials, it doesn't sound like there will be much of a market for you at an IP fair... What is your degree in exactly and what work experience do you have in a tech related field?

My B.S. is in interdisciplinary life sciences so I don't qualify by my major and I'm missing chem and physics courses to qualify through credits. I know patent prosecution is out of the question without any other work experience/advanced degrees in life sciences, but are any PLIP firms looking to fill litigation positions? My 2L SA is in a patent lit group (through OCI). Will the firms care that I booked my patent course and another IP class, or is my lack of technical expertise a total dealbreaker at PLIP?

Postby 09042014 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:26 am

I did it as a 3L. It's a good safety net. Just hope your firm gives offers before the actual date so you don't actually have to go.

kryptix

Postby kryptix » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:55 pm

Isn't this fair on like August 2 or something way early like that before a lot of SAs end this summer? How will you take off at your current firm to go?

target

Postby target » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:03 am

kryptix wrote:Isn't this fair on like August 2 or something way early like that before a lot of SAs end this summer? How will you take off at your current firm to go?

Uhm, I assume you can just tell them that yiu have some personal matter to be out of town that friday and weekend.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:28 am

kryptix wrote:Isn't this fair on like August 2 or something way early like that before a lot of SAs end this summer? How will you take off at your current firm to go?

Most firms have 5/20 start date which ends 7/26 (10 weeks). It is the week before PLIP. I registered as a safety net. Cheap one at that.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:25 am

target wrote:

Uhm, I assume you can just tell them that yiu have some personal matter to be out of town that friday and weekend.

I'd be honest with them. "I need to do the fair, unless I hear back from you."

What are they going to say? NO, you must burn your ship upon arrival.

Return to “Legal Employment”