drug test

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

drug test

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:39 pm

friend wants to know if firms conduct drug tests for SA and post grad i guess

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: drug test

Postby 20130312 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:44 pm

Is there a question?

Also, might as well get these out of the way: "just don't drugs bro" and lol @ "friend"

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: drug test

Postby stillwater » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:45 pm

It seems a small cost to not do drugs- for the time being- considering the massive investment of time and money in law school.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: drug test

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:46 pm

Do a search. General consensus is no, most firms don't even do a background check let alone a drug test.

Re: Post Grad

A guy at my firm told me that in the past, the insurance company took your blood during a physical before you could get on the firm health plan. That spooked me for a second because I had recently smoked with some buddies, but that ended up not being an issue for me because they didn't require a physical. As for the guy, he told the nurse that the insurer sent that his blood might not be clean, and so she said if it wasn't she would do it again in a few months for him.

Anyway, anecdote aside, law firms generally aren't going to test you.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: drug test

Postby 09042014 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:46 pm

Big firms tend not too.

User avatar
BullShitWithBravado
Posts: 245
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:29 pm

Re: drug test

Postby BullShitWithBravado » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:52 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Big firms tend not too.


Your friend can just look at his/her offer packet. There should be info in there about drug testing if the firm routinely does it. If your friend is worried about getting tested, then they should just not do drugs too close to their start date. It's not really worth the added stress.

NotMyRealName09
Posts: 1396
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:50 pm

Re: drug test

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:41 pm

Big firms don't care because coke increases productivity. But seriously, drugs are bad, m'kay? You shouldn't do drugs.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: drug test

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:26 pm

I haven't heard of anywhere drug testing except for some government agencies. I know that many state agencies don't drug test, nor will DA/PD offices, but federal agencies like the DOJ do. I'm not sure if you have to take a drug test if you clerk, but I would imagine if you do, its probably not random and only upon employment, which is easy enough to deal with. I'm sure there are private firms out there who drug test, but I've never heard of it.

User avatar
ManOfTheMinute
Posts: 1562
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:54 am

Re: drug test

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:friend wants to know if firms conduct drug tests for SA and post grad i guess


LOL

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: drug test

Postby 20130312 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:30 pm

ManOfTheMinute wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:friend wants to know if firms conduct drug tests for SA and post grad i guess


LOL

See the first reply to OP.

User avatar
SemperLegal
Posts: 1333
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:28 pm

Re: drug test

Postby SemperLegal » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:38 pm

OP, be less reckless. Don't your realize by admitting through an anonymous feature, on an anonymous message board, that an anonymous friend works for an anonymous law firm, and may take an anonymous drug, you've already said too much?


James Dalton, consider your summer associateship offer revoked.

-Sincerely,
Law Firm Boss,
Top Ranked Law Firm
Big City, USA

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: drug test

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:47 pm

when are drug tests usually given? i'm a 1L interested in a government internship. at the interview or after an offer is given (sorry if this is an obvious question).

User avatar
mephistopheles
Posts: 1947
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:43 am

Re: drug test

Postby mephistopheles » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:when are drug tests usually given? i'm a 1L interested in a government internship. at the interview or after an offer is given (sorry if this is an obvious question).



well, you'll have to get a security clearance. the tests don't matter for you, the timing and forced disclosure do.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: drug test

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:52 pm

mephistopheles wrote:the timing and forced disclosure do.


?

User avatar
mephistopheles
Posts: 1947
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:43 am

Re: drug test

Postby mephistopheles » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
mephistopheles wrote:the timing and forced disclosure do.


?



ever heard of getting a security clearance?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: drug test

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:55 pm

mephistopheles wrote:
ever heard of getting a security clearance?

I had to get one for a pre-law school internship that I had. I didn't have to get a disclosure though (i don't think).

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8448
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: drug test

Postby thesealocust » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:42 pm

Some positions do take it very seriously. I generally like to provide snide and sarcastic remarks in threads like these, but to be serious, I know people who have been dinged for state department type jobs due to drug use.

In the private sector I've never heard of testing or even discussions, at least at firms. Most bar applications ask if you are currently abusing drugs. Shitloads of law students and lawyers smoke weed, and plenty do harder stuff too. Of course it's not optimal with respect to your career, but if you've already made the life choice it's not a barrier to entry.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: drug test

Postby 09042014 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:46 pm

thesealocust wrote:Some positions do take it very seriously. I generally like to provide snide and sarcastic remarks in threads like these, but to be serious, I know people who have been dinged for state department type jobs due to drug use.

In the private sector I've never heard of testing or even discussions, at least at firms. Most bar applications ask if you are currently abusing drugs. Shitloads of law students and lawyers smoke weed, and plenty do harder stuff too. Of course it's not optimal with respect to your career, but if you've already made the life choice it's not a barrier to entry.


Most businesses seem to drug test. Law firms seem like an exception really.

NotMyRealName09
Posts: 1396
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:50 pm

Re: drug test

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:48 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Some positions do take it very seriously. I generally like to provide snide and sarcastic remarks in threads like these, but to be serious, I know people who have been dinged for state department type jobs due to drug use.

In the private sector I've never heard of testing or even discussions, at least at firms. Most bar applications ask if you are currently abusing drugs. Shitloads of law students and lawyers smoke weed, and plenty do harder stuff too. Of course it's not optimal with respect to your career, but if you've already made the life choice it's not a barrier to entry.


Most businesses seem to drug test. Law firms seem like an exception really.


Being privately owned, they answer to no one but themselves - and what you don't know can't hurt you.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22892
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: drug test

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:when are drug tests usually given? i'm a 1L interested in a government internship. at the interview or after an offer is given (sorry if this is an obvious question).

I'm not aware of any government internship that drug tests, I've only heard of it happening for permanent employment. However, even if an internship does test, they won't do so until they've made an offer and you've accepted, because drug tests cost money and they're not going to order any they don't need.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: drug test

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:39 am

I'm not aware of any government internship that drug tests, I've only heard of it happening for permanent employment. However, even if an internship does test, they won't do so until they've made an offer and you've accepted, because drug tests cost money and they're not going to order any they don't need.


FWIW I was drug tested at my 1L judicial internship on the first day my position started. Luckily, I don't do anything.

User avatar
ManOfTheMinute
Posts: 1562
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:54 am

Re: drug test

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:43 am

InGoodFaith wrote:
ManOfTheMinute wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:friend wants to know if firms conduct drug tests for SA and post grad i guess


LOL

See the first reply to OP.


You proud of yourself, huh?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: drug test

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:50 pm

.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.