POLL: Best place for NYC SA housing

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Best NYC SA housing

Queens (Astoria, Long Island City, etc.)
10%
Brooklyn
26%
South of Houston St. (SoHo, Tribeca, etc.)
3%
South of 14th (East/West Village)
3%
Midtown West (Clinton, Hell's Kitchen, Chelsea)
10%
Midtown East (Turtle Bay etc.)
3%
Upper West Side
10%
Upper East Side
6%
Harlem or farther North
13%
Jersey (Hoboken, etc.)
16%

Total votes: 31

Anonymous User

Re: POLL: Best place for NYC SA housing

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:59 pm

paratactical wrote:
stillwater wrote:
paratactical wrote:If you're working in midtown, living in Brooklyn is dumb. That's a crazy long commute.

I lived in Brooklyn while working in NYC and it took 25 minutes from where I lived to Grand Central. Not particularly onerous.

That has got to be an optimal timing and not actually include walking to/from the subway or waiting for a train.

I could do Cobble Hill -> STB/DPW in consistently under thirty minutes, door to door. I knew people on the UWS who had a farther commute to the office. I could have been to Cleary or SullCrom in around fifteen minutes—so it would have been even better if I had been working at a downtown firm.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
paratactical wrote:
stillwater wrote:
paratactical wrote:If you're working in midtown, living in Brooklyn is dumb. That's a crazy long commute.

I lived in Brooklyn while working in NYC and it took 25 minutes from where I lived to Grand Central. Not particularly onerous.

That has got to be an optimal timing and not actually include walking to/from the subway or waiting for a train.

I could do Cobble Hill -> STB/DPW in consistently under thirty minutes, door to door. I knew people on the UWS who had a farther commute to the office. I could have been to Cleary or SullCrom in around fifteen minutes—so it would have been even better if I had been working at a downtown firm.

Yeah, Grand Central <--> Borough Hall is less than 20 minutes on the 4/5 and there's a train arriving about every 2-3 minutes at rush hour. Brooklyn really doesn't have to be that onerous.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:24 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:Yeah, Grand Central <--> Borough Hall is less than 20 minutes on the 4/5 and there's a train arriving about every 2-3 minutes at rush hour. Brooklyn really doesn't have to be that onerous.

returning from Manhattan to Brooklyn Heights and the environs, the A train was the secret weapon to pick up at Fulton St.

Return to “Legal Employment”