Add summer work to resume?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Add summer work to resume?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:30 pm

1L with a judicial internship this summer. The judge has encouraged me to look for part-time work this summer so I can pay for housing, food, etc.

Should I include my upcoming job on my resume?

Anonymous User

Re: Add summer work to resume?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:26 pm

Why not? I put my summer job on my resume as soon as I accepted the offer. Resumes are for signaling, and your summer job is one of your most important signals. Just make sure it is clearly marked "Summer 2013", or "Expected, Summer 2013".

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:38 pm

depends on what type of job you are looking for. if you are looking for a non legal job, id take off everything legal related, including the fact that you go to such and such law school.

if you are looking for a legal job, sure, but its very hard to find paying 1L legal jobs, especially when you have started to apply this late.

Honestly, and i dont mean to offend, but you should start looking for a job waiting tables, or something. It wont pay a lot, but when you drop that job in august, it wont matter.

but you should still create a law related resume and a non law related resume

MinEMorris

Postby MinEMorris » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:54 am

A common combo if you want to make some cash on the side is to take a research assistant position. It's law related, usually isn't that hard to get, should help develop some legal skills, can be used on your resume for other law jobs, and at most schools pays well (think it's usually around $12+ an hour).

Lasers

Postby Lasers » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:50 am

MinEMorris wrote:A common combo if you want to make some cash on the side is to take a research assistant position. It's law related, usually isn't that hard to get, should help develop some legal skills, can be used on your resume for other law jobs, and at most schools pays well (think it's usually around $12+ an hour).

yep.

i did this last summer; i got a part time research assistant job through a professor that helped subsidize my summer while i had an unpaid government gig. and yeah, i think i put the job down on my resume, but just wrote the date as "starting may 2012."

Return to “Legal Employment”