Turning down a firm after accepting Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Turning down a firm after accepting

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:11 am

I have an offer for a position at a small firm this summer (5 attorneys) at $10 an hour, full-time. The offer expires Monday. I also interviewed with 3 mid-size firms the week after, and I was told from one firm that I'd hear back about CBs next week. I know it's early to even consider this, but the interviews went great and I have a feeling I'll get at least 1 CB. How horrible is it to withdraw my acceptance from the small firm if I get another offer at one of the mid-size firms? And what are the procedures for the job search following acceptance of an offer? Will I ruin my reputation if I wait to hear from the other firms or if I go to CBs after accepting another offer?

Background: T30, top 30%, 1L, all firms in the same state (but different cities), and I want to practice in said state but originally from out-of-state.

Borhas

Platinum

Re: Turning down a firm after accepting

Post by Borhas » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:31 am

If the benefit outweighs burning the bridge at the small firm then do it. You owe them nothing. The only people who will ever know you reneged will be the five people at the small firm.
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

helterskelter

New

Post by helterskelter » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:33 am

Not horrible, not going to ruin your reputation. I've done it (different industry, but one where everyone knows everyone else) and the only drawback is the awkwardness if you run into those who extended the offer. But it sounds like it might be in a different city, so you probably won't be going to weekly dance classes right after the hiring partner's class like I did.

Agent

Bronze

Post by Agent » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:46 am

I recommend asking Firm 1 for an extended deadline.

Talar

New

Post by Talar » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:05 pm

Something similar happened to me during 1L job search. What you need to do is call the firm with which you have an offer and ask them for an extension. There is a good chance they will grant it. Tell them you feel very fortunate to have their offer, you are considering it seriously, but you need a little bit more time. Also call the other firms and tell them you have an offer with a fast-approaching deadline. That latter move might get you a CB even if you originally weren't going to get one, because just like girls, firms like the candidates that they think everyone else likes too. It makes you more attractive.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”